- 1 large green zucchini, ends trimmed but NOT peeled
- 1 large yellow squash or yellow zucchini, ends trimmed but NOT peeled
- 6 asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 1 large carrot (or 2 smaller ones), peeled and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (or more if you like)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- fresh chopped basil for garnish
Related Chili Vegetable Pasta recipe:
Place the zucchini on a cutting board and hold it firmly with your non-peeling hand. Apply pressure as you peel from one end of the zucchini to the other to create a “noodle.” Peel until you hit seeds (though you might not; some younger zucchini and squash don’t have so many).
Midway through you can rotate the squash, which creates a flat surface for the “peeling.”
Repeat with the other vegetables; be kind to yourself because all of the noodles won’t be the same thickness, and that’s OK. Toss the vegetables together to mix them up a bit.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
Add the vegetables and cook, tossing lightly but not trying to break them up, until they’re just tender but not mushy, 3-4 minutes.
Add the chili flakes, then toss in the cheese.
Season with salt and pepper and divide among 2 pasta bowls. Garnish with basil.