If you do not have time to make it to the gym and have limited space, resistance bands can come in handy! Not only are they affordable and highly portable, but they also allow you to target every muscle group without the need for bulky machines or heavy free weights.
To help you keep your arms toned and sculpted, we will go over six resistance band exercises you can do for your arms at home. These quick exercises will have you feeling the burn in your triceps, biceps, and forearms!
For the best results, perform each of the following exercises in three sets of between 8 and 12 reps.
The 6 Best Resistance Band Exercises for Arms
1. Resistance Band Bicep Curl
As the name suggests, this simple resistance band exercise primarily targets your biceps, but you should also feel a slight burn in your forearms during the final reps.
- Start by positioning your feet roughly hip-width apart with your toes facing forward.
- Position the resistance band under the arches of your two feet. Grab the handles and make sure the band is even so that you feel the same amount of tension on your two arms when you pull the resistance band.
- Grip the handles with your palms facing upwards.
- Pull the bands towards your shoulders while keeping your elbows in the same position. Once your arms have reached their highest point, lower them back down to their original position in a controlled manner.
The band should stretch each time you pull it upwards, and resistance should be at its strongest point when your arms are near your shoulders. Perform the motion between 8 and 12 times.
Always be sure to raise and lower the band slowly and in a controlled way. If you find you need more tension, you can spread your feet further apart.
2. Resistance Band Tricep Kickbacks
Tricep kickbacks allow you to focus on the large tricep muscles located on the backs of your upper arms.
- Begin by placing one foot ahead of the other so you are in a staggered stance. You may want to widen your stance to roughly shoulder-width for stability. When starting, you can also perform the exercise with your feet on the same level, as is pictured above.
- Loop your resistance band under your forward foot and hold the ends of the resistance band in each hand.
- Bend your forward knee slightly and lean forward at the hip. Engage your core and keep your back in a straight position.
- While holding the ends of the resistance band, bend your elbows to a 90-degree Keep your arms close to your sides as you are doing so.
- From this point, perform the kickback movement by extending the lower portion of your arms backward. The elbow should remain in place as a pivot point.
- When you perform the motion, you should feel your triceps engage. Pause at the most extended point, then return your arms to the starting position.
3. Overhead Resistance Band Single Arm Tricep Extension:
This resistance band workout is similar to a kickback, but it allows you to focus on the triceps of each arm individually.
- Position the resistance band under one foot, rather than both.
- Hold one end of the band at shoulder height, with the other hand holding the opposite end in line with your hip.
- Maintaining a straight back and solid core, move the arm holding the band at shoulder height upwards and above your head. While doing so, keep your elbow stable and raise the band using your tricep muscles. Once you have reached full height, lower the resistance band back behind your head.
- Squeeze your triceps each time and perform roughly 12 reps. Once complete, perform the same routine but using the other arm.
4. Single Arm Resistance Band Reverse Bicep Curls
This exercise allows you to work on your biceps while simultaneously giving your forearms a good workout.
- Stand with your feet fairly close together (roughly hip-width apart).
- Loop the resistance band around the bottom of a single foot.
- Using the hand on the same side of your body as the foot holding the band, grab both ends of the resistance band and keep your palm facing downwards.
- With your palm continuing to face downwards and your wrist straight, curl the band upwards. Keep your elbow pinned to your side.
- Squeeze at the top, then lower the band slowly. Perform for roughly 12 reps, then switch the band to your other foot and repeat the process with the other arm.
5. Resistance Band Tricep Pull Apart
This simple movement allows you to work both triceps simultaneously while also activating your shoulders and upper back.
- Stand straight up with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hold the resistance band outwards with each hand at roughly shoulder height. The band should be parallel with the floor.
- Grip the band with each hand so that it becomes taut but not overly stretched. Your arms should also be parallel with the ground but bent at the elbows.
- Keeping your hands steady at shoulder height, pull the ends of the band away from each other until your arms are as straight as possible.
- Once your arms are straight out, return to the original position in a controlled way.
- Perform 10 reps.
6. Resistance Band Bow and Arrow Movement
Here is another quick and easy standing exercise, which allows you to work your triceps, as well as your pectoral muscles and shoulders.
- Stand straight and engage your core muscles.
- Straighten one arm and hold the resistance band with that hand.
- Grab the other end of the resistance band with the other hand, bending it just in front of your chest.
- Pull the resistance band backward with your bent arm until it is taut and straight, then move it back to the original position.
- As the name suggests, the movement mimics the way you would draw a bow.
Recommended Resistance Bands
While any high-quality resistance band will work, we recommend this GREENTREEN – Resistance Band Set.
Check Latest Price
It comes with five premium bands in color-coded tension levels, as well as a door anchor, two soft-grip handles, two ankle straps, and a carrying bag. Best of all, the set is available at an affordable price!
Remember, no matter what type of exercise you are doing, the form should always be one of your main focuses. Squeeze the muscle you are focussing on with each rep and make sure you return the band to its original position in a slow and controlled way.
By following the six exercises listed above, you will be able to tone and build your arm muscles from the comfort of your own home!