BREAKFAST SANDWICHES

5 Mar

…..ARE THE BEST.

Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 8.59.00 AM

Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 11.35.18 AM

I have a few foods that I would eat daily, even multiple times a day if I could. Fried chicken and pancakes come to mind. But nothing is higher on that list than a McDonald’s Sausage McMuffin with Egg.

It’s one of the only things in life I have waited in an extensive line for with no regrets. I don’t know what it is about this thing — it’s clearly just a fast-food sandwich and probably something I’d never eat if I knew exactly what cow parts were in it. But it’s just so damn comforting to me. When I’m dieting, I take off the cheese-less muffin, I call it the McWaste, and call it my lower-carb sandwich.

Here is what I’ve conjured up as my excuse: when I was little and living in Snohomish, Washington, my dad used to fly for work, weekly. Every single Monday morning, around 4am, my mom would wake me up and put me in the car to drive him to the airport, which was a little over an hour away. I’d be asleep the entire journey to Sea-Tac, waking only to kiss my dad goodbye. But on the way home, around 6am, we would always, ALWAYS stop and get me this sandwich and 2 golden, crispy, greasy little hash browns. I had to have two. Then I’d go on to school, knowing the best part of my week was over. Until next Monday.

Eating this thing always reminds me of those long drives and how simple things used to make me so, so happy (and fat).

So when I moved to New York, I found myself never eating them and missing the crap out of them. But with no drive thrus in the city, I am not about to get my lazy (mostly hungover) ass into their fine dining establishment. That’s when John decided he could make something better. “BETTER? NO. MAYYYYBE SIMILAR”, I cried. But then this happened:

Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 11.47.52 AM

Johnny was kind enough to write up his quick breakfast sandwich how-to for you! Months ago, really. But let’s not mention how long I’ve been gone for…

I know it’s easy. It’s not really a recipe. But I just love this thing so freaking much and it’s too big a part of my life not to share.

Take it away, John…

Chrissy always has cravings for McDonald’s Sausage Egg McMuffins at random times.  Sometimes, it’s a hangover cure.  Sometimes she’s just hungry and she wants it NOW!  Unfortunately, there isn’t always a McDonald’s around, and even if they are, they only serve breakfast until 10:30 or 11am.  The nerve!  Anyway, luckily Chrissy has a fiancé who makes a great breakfast sandwich.  She tweeted a pic of it the other day and some of you asked for the recipe.  She laughed because there really isn’t much of a recipe.  But I figured I should write it out just in case you need some guidance.  Timing is everything so read this, get ready and then make it happen.  The whole process isn’t much more than 10 minutes.
Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 9.01.14 AM
Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 9.28.41 AM
Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 9.28.12 AM

Ingredients for 1 breakfast sandwich:
  • 1 english muffin
  • 1 3-oz uncooked patty of breakfast sausage
  • 2 slices of American cheese
  • 1 egg
  • a little salt and pepper, if desired
This is a very simple recipe, but you want everything hot and fresh or it won’t taste as good as it should.  So take all the ingredients and cooking utensils out to start so that the timing works out perfectly.
- form a sausage patty that is roughly the same diameter as the english muffin
- split the english muffin in half and put it in the toaster (don’t start toasting it yet)
- take out 2 small-medium skillets and spray them with cooking spray.  Preheat them at medium heat.
- You’ll fry the egg in one skillet and the sausage in the other.
- Start frying the sausage, flipping every minute or 2 as it is browning
- While the sausage is going, also fry the egg
- Cook both the sausage and the egg thoroughly.  The sausage should be nicely browned, but nowhere near black.  The egg should have no more wet yolk.  I love yolk-y eggs but they don’t work well for the sandwich because it gets kind messy.
- The goal is that the egg and the sausage finish frying around the same time.  They’ll take around the same amount of time to fry so that’s why I like to do it simultaneously
- Once the sausage and egg are about ready, leave the sausage on its skillet and turn down the heat a little bit.  Start toasting the muffin now so that it’s lightly toasted (not brown).
- And while the muffin is toasting, melt the cheese by putting one slice of cheese on top the sausage patty in the skillet.  Then put the fried egg on top of that slice of cheese.  Then another slice of cheese on top of the egg.  Let them cook together for a minute or 2 til the cheese starts melting.
- The muffin should be ready right before the cheese melts.  The sandwich is already ready to be formed so just remove the sausage/egg/cheese stack and put it in between the two muffin halves and it’s ready to go.  Enjoy!
Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 11.53.41 AM
Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 11.53.22 AM
Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 11.52.58 AM
Photo credit: John Legend (AKA I did not take the terrible ones) (sorry baby) (love you!)
PS: Sorry for the disorganization of this post — wordpress is not agreeing with my tab button today….

43 Responses to “BREAKFAST SANDWICHES”

1. natashagregorio March 5, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

I fucking die at “McWaste,” you are so witty I lurve it. This is probably my greatest weakness at McD when I do indulge – damn you perfect meal ever!! Now I want one but it’s 2pm and they’re not serving them and it could be an awkward situation.

2. Dave Hoffman March 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Ohmigod! I *LOVE* those breakfast sandwiches too — it’s the only thing I ever eat at McDonalds anymore. I went to school in Ithaca, NY, and would always stop at the Short Stop Deli for a breakfast sandwich with their special ‘truck sauce’ (a combination of barbecue sauce and hot sauce like you’d put on buffalo wings) on my way out of town — just a few minutes of bliss before starting the long, boring drive out to the closest interstate.

Awesome.

3. Melissa March 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

CHRISSY!!!!!!! I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed your posts!!! I’m so happy I could cry… Okay I’m gonna stop now before you alert the authorities. Lol
    Ps I made the Samoa Cookie Cupcakes for fun recently… I have about 25 requests for more. In closing, I Love You

4. catvoncat March 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

There are few things I love more in life than a good breakfast sandwich. I make a similar one and John’s technique is flawless if I do say so myself because I do it the same way. Bread in the toaster oven, not toasted yet but ready to be toasted at just the right moment so that it is done at exactly the same time the rest of the ingredients are ready and the cheese is nice and melty. Perfection.

5. galeforcewindy March 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Have to say – I love a fried egg, but when going for the at-home McDonald’s experience, I usually microwave a whole egg in a cooking sprayed coffee mug. Just prick the yolk so it doesn’t explode. Pop it in at half power for 1-2 mins. It comes out perfectly puck shaped like the McD’s ones of our childhood – and fits nicely on the english muffin.

• bin31 March 7, 2013 at 3:24 am #

great idea!!!! im not a fried egger but lika that microwave idea

6. Lauren D. March 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

You’re back, you’re back, you’re BACCCKKKK!!!! I mean, it isn’t like I haven’t been reading your tweets/checking out your instagram/watching you on COOKING SHOWS on the actual television for goodness sake…but there’s nothing like having you back home on the bloggggg…errr, in a non-creepy way. YAY!

7. caseycornwell March 5, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

HELLS YEAH! Chrissy I’ve missd your posts and this is a good one. Love John’s very specific instructions. I adore you two!

8. Amy March 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

SEA-TAC yesssss I always get happy when I’m reminded that you’re from obscure Washington (as if the crazy name of Snohomish doesn’t give it away).

Awesome post. Nice that you’re back.

9. hourglassandbloom March 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

YES. yes.

10. Lauren March 5, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

YUM! and now I want a breakfast sandwich at 4:30 pm…..

(Chrissy, my best friend & I started a blog and would love to feature you on Friday- or next Friday if you are too busy this week- for our TGIF (This Girl Is Fierce) feature. Can you shoot me an email at the address provided (so you don’t have to blast your email to the whole www)? You’d make our week (okay, our month) if you would agree to be featured. Thanks!

11. laura March 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

OMG using two skillets at once so that everything is hot? That is LOVE right there. I would probably just cook the sausage, then take it out and cook the egg. You are a lucky lady :) Also, you have no idea how much I get shamed for LOVING McD’s breakfast. I like actually drive through sometimes and don’t tell anyone about it, and THAT, my friend, is the epitome of fat.

12. candice March 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

I was JUST telling someone about how this sandwich takes up most of my pre-school/elementary school memories. My classmate and I would have a daily competition…we always ordered a Sausage McMuffin w/Egg AND a cinnamon roll and compare the goods in class. No prize. Just bragging rights…thinking back…I’m pretty sure the teacher hated us. High school came. I decided to be a vegetarian (last 1 week), and replace the sausage with a hash brown. College came. I realized I should simply ADD the hash brown to this lovely sandwich…and that is what I’ve done ever since.

• chrissyteigen March 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

OH YUMMMMMM

• Candice March 5, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Right?!

Also, my grammar was busted in that comment. (I have to acknowledge it or it will haunt me for life)

13. Linette Padilla (@designbylp) March 5, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

All your breakfast sandwiches are about to come true.

14. kloevold March 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

You’re back!!! :-)

15. Jenn March 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

You’re from here! How cool. I don’t know why, but I’m seriously amused that John Legend writes food blog posts from time to time.

Please share more of your fashion on instagram!!!! You have such a cool, effortless style.

• Natasha March 6, 2013 at 12:48 am #

It’s so funny when he writes. You can totally tell who’s who.

16. Sara March 5, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

Hmmm dont forget McDonalds hash browns….grease heaven!!!

17. danielWILDE March 5, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Thinking about it now…I’m glad you posted this John/Chrissy. I would’ve never thought to use two different skillets because I’m lazy af and I don’t wanna wash two skillets but whats the big deal since skillets are easy to clean anyway and now I want a fiance to make me breakfast sandwiches aaaaaand I now realize that I’ve been compromising taste all of these years????????? I’m gon go repent. And now HASHBROWNNNNSSSS?

18. kalliope84 March 5, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Egg McMuffins aren’t my favorite McD’s item (Sausage Biscuit or Sausage McGriddles are my JAM), but I’ll be damned if John’s doesn’t look absolutely delicious. Also, extra points to you for posting a pic of your major bedhead and breakfast sammie bliss!

19. Ron Jr March 5, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

I make a similar one at home except I use links, 3 of them, and I skip the egg. Oh, and butter on the muffin. the “McJohn” sounds good too though. When i hit McD’s on the way to go fishing I get a sausage bisquit with cheese every time.

20. Rebecca March 6, 2013 at 12:28 am #

I just love this, everything about it.

And the funny thing is that when John took over the post the voice in my head (watch it!) changed from yours to his. LOL

I am gonna make that sandwich!
    Two separate frying pans to time it just right…THAT is love.

And the story of your dad traveling and mom driving and buying you breakfast… big smile. :)
    Thanks

21. marky kirk March 6, 2013 at 3:35 am #

MMMm or if in europe a tasty alt is get a decent sized croissant split it open and fill will a moist scrambled egg with bacon bits and some grated cheese (and pepper to taste)..damn I am hungry and only a cookie in sight

22. gracekelle March 6, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Give John credit for coming up with a good bfast sandwich alternative. Come up with a good at-home alternative for McD’s hash browns…we might be in trouble :)

23. Shake It & Bake It March 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

I’m mad at how long this post is for four ingredients (or ingrediences if youre Teresa Guidice)! I mean, it’s called sausage, egg and cheese muffin; what more instruction is needed

• chrissyteigen March 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

i posted it on twitter and was actually mad at everyone who asked for the recipe. then i realized some people just need a little nudging!

• Rose March 11, 2013 at 11:45 am #

It’s almost more for the technique.. i.e. cook everything at once. if you don’t find the recipe useful keep it moving :)

24. adrianna March 6, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

When you go to the store you ask for what ? Premade sausage patty ? I’m confused. Help lol.

25. Mark Fisher March 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Oh my God!!! Im am so there with you!!! The one and only thing I love at McDonalds is the Sausage and Egg McMuffin. Not just me, but my dogs love them too!! It is part of our weekend ritual to drive thru McDonalds after romping in the park, to buy some of these bad boys!!! Yummmmmmm!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

26. coleen c March 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Chrissy! I have been wondering about you. You’ve been MIA, but i’m ecstatic to know that you’re back :) you whore!

P.S. i loved your show on the Cooking Channel. You’re on my TIVO, girl.

27. Lindsay Hutner (@lindsayhutner) March 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Made these this morning for my family…eaten within two minutes. So good.

28. NikkiM March 12, 2013 at 3:51 am #

I don’t want you to get jealous or anything but here in S.Korea McDelivery brings sausage egg mcmuffins to my door. Probably the number one thing I will miss when I eventually move back to the states. Is that sad?

29. abdullh almulhim (@100000564442609) April 28, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Sure you eating delicious delight of Her all your light on my stomach your love large to carry in my heart

30. Rob May 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

John’s recipe is great, but if you want to get knocked off your feet, cook everything the way he says, but then when you assemble the sandwich, add a slice of butter lettuce on top of the egg, and a thickish slice of tomato, salted and peppered, on top of that. Sounds weird, but it is incredible.

31. Emily June 24, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Chrissy two things: these look delish and you lived in Snohomish?!? I grew up there! I now live in the sunny deserts of Arizona. How long did you live there?

32. Jill July 30, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Chrissy you are indeed lucky to have your man cook for your, But I must say that he is just as lucky… I love a model that is not afraid to eat!

33. AnonyÓðinn (@AnonyOdinn) September 15, 2013 at 8:57 am #

One should not eat at McD’s but this suggested breakfast recipe certainly makes avoidance of the place easier. Nice food blog btw, and congrats.

34. Kathleen October 13, 2013 at 10:15 pm #

This will be my breakfast tomorrow morning. Thanks for posting!

1. Deli Fresh Threads | Chrissy Teigen, What’s your favorite sandwich? - November 20, 2013

[…] Breakfast Sandwich […]

2. Le Farm: BACON CLAM BUTTER. That is all. | what shi eats - March 3, 2014

[…] had to take some off. The egg. I like runny eggs but in a sandwich, that’s just too messy. As John Legend says, “The egg should have no more wet yolk.  I love yolk-y eggs but they don’t work well […]