6-5-4 Days of Ramen — Day 4

29 Dec

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 9.02.51 AM

Is there an attractive way to slurp up noods?

Aaaaaaah. The last day of ramenfest. Our last day in Tokyo. What am I going to do without my daily bowl of sodium and carby goodness once I go back home!? Sure, there’s ramen there. But it just won’t be the same.

Thanks to a message from Ivan of Ivan Ramen (coming soon to NYC and we just happennnnn to be moving nearby), we had to make an extremely difficult decision: do we spend our last day of ramen eating at the place we couldn’t stop thinking about, Kyushu Jangara, or do we change it up for, well, you! Do I selfishly please my taste buds or take the risk?

Thankfully, we realized that taking a risk in Tokyo isn’t really taking a risk at all. This country. This food. These people. Everything is wonderful. There aren’t too many risks. It’s hard to be displeased here, it really is.

And so we did it. After a quick google search of 3 ramen places recommended by Ivan, we decided upon…

Okay I’ve never gotten to set up anything suspenseful let me do this please…

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 9.24.04 AM

Afuri!

What intrigued me most about this place was that all the write-ups on all sorts of different blogs said the same thing: while most think of ramen as ultra-savory, milky, porky, greasy, rich (I could go on forever here) tonkotsu ramen, there is also a huge love of a lighter broth. While I could say that right now, I can’t imagine EVER being over tonkotsu ramen, I’d imagine that the heaviness of it would get a little old if you actually lived here.

Every reviewer of Afuri had one similar take: They LOVE milky ramen. But Afuri is a wonderfully nice change.

I wish I could go into more detail about this ramen, but…well look…

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 9.43.53 AM

Since ordering upfront, and ordering from machines is so common here, all the blogs failed to tell me that this is what we would walk into. And with no line ahead of us, we were completely, utterly lost. Finally, another couple walked in and we memorized their ordering process: money first, make choice, hit black button, take change, more money, make another choice, hit black button, take tickets to waiter.

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 9.51.00 AM

AH! All the pictures are the same and I have no clue what any of this says, nor is anyone around that could tell me.

I could understand the word “HOT!!” though. So we went with the two HOT!! options. Hot here in Japan is nothing like the hot I’m used to. I have NEVER had anything too spicy, EVER. I’ve tried. The closest I’ve come was once asking the people in The Boiling Shrimp to make my crab “VERY THAI SPICY”. That, was unbelievably hot but I still couldn’t stop. I wish I had photos of what happened to my face upon eating that crab. John can do a pretty good reenactment of it — I basically lost all control of half my face. I would smile and ask, “am i doin it, am i smiling?” to which John would say, “no. oh my god no”. My eyes twitched, the sides of my mouth were waterfalls. It was perfect.

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 10.03.08 AM

One of the most alluring things about this place was their famed “char siu” — a slice of pork that is grilled for about a minute over charcoal flames. Our ramen, whatever it was, included this, along with the typical toppings of bamboo shoots, greens and nori.

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 10.06.25 AM

Something I read said that Afuri uses water specially collected from the wells of Mount Afuri in Kanagawa (hence the name) for their soup. They also offer two different thicknesses of noodle, one of which being a little chewier than the other. If I could read this option, I would have tried. But my lack of Japanese has failed you all!

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 10.12.00 AM

The broth was fantastic. I *believe*, oh god, please don’t quote me, they use a chicken-based broth but I could also taste something a little fishier as well in there. Perhaps it was just the seaweed? Either way, it was definitely lighter than what I’m used to, but for what it was? A-PLUS. I would definitely be happy with a place like this around town.

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 10.13.47 AM

^John’s “Kyushu Jangara is better” face^

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 10.15.16 AM

My bowl. I dunno, man. It was pretty close for me.

I really loved Afuri. It felt a bit younger and hipper (wow nothing makes you sound older than using these words) than the other places we had ventured to, but that could also be because it was Saturday…hmmmm. Not to mention the smell (and smoke) of that char siu filled the air as we ate. God, I love it.

So there you have it. Our ramen adventures have come to a close. Was nice to share our holiday with you guys : )

Heading back to the Americas today — bittersweet. Will miss it here but also excited to get back home and see the pups and get back to work.

Hope your holidays (THEY AREN’T OVER UNTIL NEW YEAR’S OKAY) are filled with food, family and fun. And alcohol, if you’re of age of course (whatev)

XX

43 Responses to “6-5-4 Days of Ramen — Day 4”

1. Danielle December 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Chrissy I absolutely love your blog! Your vacation in Tokyo looked amazing, and the food too of course! You are hilarious and your recipes are delicious. These blog posts make me want to try ramen so badly and watch the documentary you blogged about. Happy Holidays, enjoy!

2. Ronni December 29, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Chrissy, thanks so much for sharing RamenFest (RamenFeast?) with us.
    Wishing you and JL a happy 2013.

3. Amy (@mzpinkpanda) December 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

great post! that ramen looks insanely spicy!

4. VinBioDiesel December 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Glad you two could spend John’s Birthday over there and chow on some awesome food. Happy New Years to you and your family.

5. Candice December 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

“the sides of my mouth were waterfalls.” …dying.

6. christina December 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Okay….I just can’t take this shit anymore:) LOL!!!
    I neen my RAMEN– NOW”)-;) Please…
    Happy New Year and Healthy Eating…2013…*-*

7. XM December 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

You’ve never had spicy food?! This cannot be. This must be corrected. hot food makes you feel alive (probably due to the fight-ir-flight response your body kicks out as its way of begging for mercy). You’ve never had real Indian food? Authentic Indian food will burn itself into your brain, which, of course, is why I continue to eat it :)

• XM December 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Ugh. “Fight-OR-flight”. I hate typos.

• chrissyteigen December 29, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

Noooo I mean I’ve never had anything I’ve thought was TOO spicy. I am the spice queen!!

• Algerine December 29, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

I have got to go there and check that place out,I that looks pretty good!

• Paola January 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

If you’re ever in Seattle, there’s a Korean restaurant inside the H-Mart in Federal Way (basically their K-town) that has some soup/stew they call the Volcano (if memory serves). The server warns (with serious concern) that if its your first time you should go for a Level 1– goes up to 5. Only one of us dared try it, dude could not finish it, he started sweating heavily after about 10 minutes of eating. Three of the people at the table behind us ordered it as well and demanded their money back. Which pissed us off because the server got in trouble even though he warned them as well.

Anyway, Chrissy Spice challenge? Yenno, if you’re ever randomly in Seattle and feel like you want to melt your face off.

8. cymi December 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

I loved reading about your ramen adventures, but now I am starving.

9. Kara December 29, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

Love reading your posts! You are awesome and I am not ashamed to admit that I live through your adventures. Keep on, keepin’ on!

10. Brianne December 29, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

Enjoyed reading about the Ramen Diaries. Loved the black hat you had in several of the pictures, care to share where you got it? Thanks and Happy Holidays (and Birthday to John).

11. Chris D'Arcy December 29, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Dammit! First the Oscar caliber sushi and now the “burn the house down” Ramen. I used to just think you were hot. Now I gotta convince my wife you`re a food guru. Any ideas? Haha!

12. Meg December 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

I love your blog! After discovering this blog over my Christmas break from school, I couldn’t stop reading your posts! I love having a glass of red, laughing at your hilarious/delicious-looking posts and trying your recipes! Don’t let the internet haters get you down haha!

13. Mike Tschida December 30, 2012 at 2:47 am #

Loved all the Ramen adventures. Sounds like Tokyo was a success!! Thanks for sharing

14. Sarah December 30, 2012 at 5:29 am #

Glad you had a good time! Thanks for sharing your recaps; I always enjoy your blog posts (and twitter comments). Happy new year!

15. Doris December 30, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Awesome!!! d-^_^-b Pleeeease don’t stop writing! Thank you and happy holidays! :)

16. Mint December 30, 2012 at 9:44 am #

The ramen soup has Dashi, a bonito fish stock. I like putting it in stir fry. Love reading your blogs!

Mint

17. Jessica Jann December 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Nice!!! :D Looks delicious. Have a great trip!! Happy new year! Love ur blog

18. PJ December 31, 2012 at 12:29 am #

I’ve been craving Asian food all week thanks to you!

19. KateSouth January 1, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

I love the ramen exploring you did in Japan! Thanks for sharing your photos and salivating tales :) Now I need to go on a culinary adventure…

20. Stephanie January 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Just wanted to let you know that reading your blog (and twitter, of course) is an absolute delight. It always leaves me hungry and happy (two things that don’t usually go well together for me), so thank you.

21. Dreamingirl3 January 4, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

All my friends hate on me for being an asian that hates ramen like how shameful is that? BUT I tried Japanese ramen once and it’s the only kind of ramen I can eat now! Very jealous of your travels and I hope to visit Japan one day!

22. mich January 6, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

hey girlfriend! think you might find these interesting (if you haven’t watched em already):

also, watched your cookies & cocktails show with my mom last year and laughed our asses off when we saw john make this big ass cookie after your dainty perfectly shaped ones! gotta luv men!

23. forex January 14, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Felix Homogratus, Dimitri Chavkerov Rules! You pay us we post good about us!

24. Brian S. January 15, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

Hey Chrissy,

I stumbled upon your blog recently and I noticed your love of noodles. Check out this noodle event. http://losangeles.grubstreet.com/2013/01/noodle-bowl-fest-viceroy.html
    It’s supposed to be some of the best noodlers in all of SoCal in one place for a charity event. Also you should try out the Tsukemen noodles at Tsujita in West LA on Sawtelle if you haven’t already. Let me give a shout out for being Thai also, which I am. Keep up the good blog!

25. Shannon January 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

Hey Chrissy,

First of all, thank you! I feel like you are kinda my role model, because you give pretty girls a good name… Because you have a great sense of humor (ridiculously similar to what I find funny), you’re smart and you are super down to earth.

Totally unrelated, I saw a pic of you and you have this amazing luminescent glow on your cheeks. Please do tell what you wear to get your skin to look like that! Are you going to try to recreate any of the ramen dishes you had at home?or do you think it wouldn’t be the same?

-Shannon

26. Melissa January 30, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

These posts left me craving Ramen. With a business trip on the books to NYC, I started planning. Last week while I was there I tried Totto Ramen, Momofuku Noodle Bar, and Ippudo. By far loved Totto the best. Spicy Totto was fantastic on a 15-degree day! It’s a teeny tiny little place in Hell’s Kitchen, maybe sits 20-25 people tops, and it looks like there can be a hell of a wait at times. But I’ll definitely be going back whenever I get back to the city. Probably wouldn’t go far out of my way for the other two. If you like a very dense, heavy broth, Ippudo had some that was right up your alley, though!

27. Emily February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

What are you making for the Super Bowl!?

28. phoebe February 2, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

shit. i’m trying to find your superbowl post from last year and can’t. I recall it being a feast…

29. Caitlin February 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Would totally love an update soon!! wheee!

30. The Tasty Lick February 14, 2013 at 7:04 am #

I just HAD to leave you a comment. Call me a hermit with zero awareness of anything outside of my spin class, work and brunching, but I had no idea that you were a, barf, ‘someone’. Celebrity aside, I fucking love your blog and style! I love it precisely because of your balls-to-the-wall approach: no airs and graces, just gettin’ awn down durdy with food and life.
    I have often umm-ed and aah-ed about the language I choose when I attempt to blog, but, nah, sod it. I’ll take a cue from you and write how I normally speak (like I have Touerette’s).

I love your zest and spunk! Consider sodelushious my new addiction. I’ve back-read to Eataly – but you MUST go to the original Turin branch. That visit resulted in me packing 20lbs of cheese for the flight home. And then the bloody mozzarella tubs broke…

31. Tippy Hung February 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

totally in love w ramen too!

tippy

32. kerissakssa February 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

chrissssy come back! i know you have your own show and all now but don’t forget to blog for the little people :)

33. Lauren February 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

YUM! Hope you post again soon. PS just sent you an email because we’d love to feature you on our blog this Friday! Hopefully I emailed the right account!

34. Scarlett March 4, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Please get back to blogging! I don’t know how I found you or the blog but you are my absolute favourite Internet scribbler! I’ve gone back 21 pages (not a psycho i promise, just your number one fan – Love Stan)

(That was an Eminem reference. My name isn’t really Stan)

35. Keisha March 16, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

You inspired me to try these! Had amazing spicy miso ramen with pork (hope I said that write…) here in Toronto. Waited 40mins to get a table in the freezing cold, WORTH EVERY MINUTE! My new favourite food…divineeeeee

36. Keisha March 16, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Or right* lol

37. agate cameos jewellery March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Attractive component to content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say that I get actually loved account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment and even I fulfillment you get right of entry to constantly quickly.|

38. discount hockey jerseys price December 5, 2013 at 9:19 am #

999 GMs US sector share declined in 2005 to 25.88%, as opposed with 27.2% in 2004. Shields will get $10.25 million up coming 12 months, which includes a $12 million club selection ($1 million buyout) for 2014.
    discount hockey jerseys price http://www.soloplus-music.com/discount-hockey-jerseys-c-6.html

39. ang December 8, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

Hey Chrissey! Love, love, love your blog and cooking is my Zen. Do you already have Ivan’s book? http://www.amazon.com/Ivan-Ramen-Obsession-Recipes-Unlikely/dp/1607744465/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386563800&sr=8-3&keywords=Momofuku+cookbook

Big Hugs!!!