6…5…Okay 4 Days of Ramen

28 Dec

What! You really thought I would fulfill that? When have I ever done anything the way I originally set out to? Plus, I have a rather nice excuse.

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 7.05.09 AM

John had 3 birthday requests. One, a beautiful cut of Kobe beef. Two, I can’t say because my parents read this, and three: “please, no ramen.”

What is Kobe? Well allow me to copy and paste some shit from wikipedia!

Kobe beef (神戸ビーフ Kōbe bīfu?) refers to cuts of beef from the black Tajima-ushi strain of Wagyu cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. The meat is generally considered to be a delicacy, renowned for its flavor, tenderness, and fatty, well-marbled texture. Kobe beef can be prepared as steak, sukiyaki, shabu shabu, sashimi, teppanyaki, and more.

Kobe beef is also called Kobe niku (神戸肉?, “Kobe meat”), Kobe-gyu (神戸牛?) or Kobe-ushi (神戸牛?, “Kobe cow”) in Japanese.

In the USA, beef is often mislabeled as “Kobe” due to the lack of legal restrictions on the use of the term.

Basically, it’s melt-in-your-mouth cow flesh.

Let’s talk beef.

After some confusion as to why on earth we wouldn’t want teppanyaki (I love teppanyaki, John hates it because of the pace and food intervals, we’re going to get a divorce), our concierge directed us to a 10-seater steakhouse called “Gorio” in Ginza.

The menu is just 2 options for steak, along with some salads and side items — steamed veggies, baked potato, crab salad and a cheeeeeesy, creamy scallop gratin. We went with the 400-gram sirloin — a glorrrrious cut of beef seasoned with just salt and pepper, cooked on a skewer over a white charcoal grill.

I didn’t get a photo of the full steak, but I snuck a photo of the cow it came from. I mean, they hung. a picture. of the cow. it came from. That’s pretty awesome. And weird. But mostly awesome.

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 7.06.02 AM

Her flesh, is in my hands.

Gorio was wonderful. The service (like EVERYWHERE we have been in Japan) is just outstanding…so attentive. Every single restaurant we have been to, the chef, walks you outside, hat on and all, to send you off to your taxi. The atmosphere, well there was none. It was the perfect place for a date. The steak was — and this is coming from someone who lovvvvves rare steak — this cow was moo’ing. Moo’ing at medium rare, and I would never dare ask for medium. No no no, not on Kobe. Not ever, but especially not on Kobe. We would have loved for it to be cooked just a litttttle bit more (literally 30 seconds more) but oh, how she melted.

I just realized I use a lot of commas. Does this bother any of you? I’m bothered by it. Now I can’t get over it.

Anyhow, what else what else. I feel weak. Jetlag hurts. Didn’t eat ramen. Now I’m all thrown off…

Oh! The pastry chefs at our hotel, keep leaving little sweet treasures for John’s birthday.

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 10.50.55 AM

No big deal. Just a baby grand made of chocolate with white chocolate keys and caramel notes, filled with more chocolates.

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 7.02.42 AM

A chocolate treble clef with chocolate mic and chocolate pudding cake whaaaat??

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 10.55.15 AM

And whatever this is. What’s up with Asians and this chewy, sweet, fondanty, ice-creamless mochi tasting fruit shaped stuff? I don’t think I’ve ever been to my mom’s house and not seen a prepackaged basket of this.

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 10.55.36 AM

I don’t like sweets. Can you tell? I don’t trust them. I think they must have hurt me in a past life or something.

Aaaaaah. So that’s all for now, friends. Back to ramen today! Leaving tomorrow afternoon. So why 4 days of ramen and not 5? Turns out I forgot that this hotel has the most AMAZINGWONDERFULDELICIOUS Cantonese dim sum brunch one could ever imagine. We will be doing that before our flight to Vegas tomorrow. Vegas. Vegas for the New Year. Ay yi yi.

This post was boring. I feel like I’ve let you down. I’m a bit lethargic right now. Probably because I’ve been up since 4am drinking red wine and now it’s lunch time…

Have a happy Saturday!!

15 Responses to “6…5…Okay 4 Days of Ramen”

1. jen December 28, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

that cake is my spirit animal

2. Maddie December 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

Is the trip work-related or just for John’s birthday? Sounds like a blast. Also, random thought, I think you would thoroughly enjoy The Mindy Project (t.v. show on Fox). Pretty funny

3. Sandra December 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

You are hilarious and wonderful! These blog posts make me so happy. I only wish we were best friends or you need a reality show. Oh and Happy birthday to the amazing John Legend!

4. Mindy December 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Gah I hate you and your life.

5. niamh December 28, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

gah, i love you…and your life,,,and the food, nom.

6. Kayti Clayton December 29, 2012 at 2:28 am #

So even though I let you down with the whole Ramen Girl suggestion. How about you suggest something for me and tell me if you know of any bomb ass dim sum places anywhere in Snohomish County or Seattle. My boyfriend and I went to one today called the New Hong Kong Restaurant and we’re not huge fans of Jade Garden and seeing as how you’re from this area and love food as much as I do – more probably, I would love a suggestion.

kayti.clayton@yahoo.com
    kaytiii.blogspot.com

7. Cyd Fisher December 29, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Love, love, love reading these posts. They bring back memories of the best trip my husband & I took with friends to Japan. Our favorite places to eat we’re the neighborhood ramen & noodle spots…so delicious!

8. Mark Fisher December 29, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Love your posts and jealous about your trip to Japan and all that good food. I want to go! Meanwhile, here in Vegas I saw a 40 foot tall replica of you on Christmas Day on the Las Vegas Strip. They play the Ciroc Vodka commercial continuously on the HUGH TV Screen outside Planet Hollywood on the strip! The Screen is the length of the building and 40 feet tall in High Def! Bad Ass! You look great of course! Have a safe trip to Vegas for New years.

9. Steph December 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

These entries are making me seriously reconsider my vegetarianism. Thanks chrissy!

10. Jessica Jann December 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Still a great post!!! :D But seriously….love your blog. Keep them coming!

11. Ben (@Ben_M_Berry) January 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

We actually have the only farm raising Waygu beef in the Waygu/Kobe tradition anywhere in the Northeast not far from us in Central NY. Havin that stuff is a treat for sure. I love your twitter and blog. Originally I followed because I’ve seen you in a bathing suit looking fine. After 1 day on your twitter feed, I would still follow if you were a vegetable typing it with electrical impulses, that’s how awesome it is.

12. agate cameos bangle March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about %meta_keyword%. Regards%7

13. modeltrainfigures.edublogs.org August 22, 2013 at 5:26 am #

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different web page and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to looking over your web page repeatedly.

14. george pistol primarul din Buftea August 22, 2013 at 8:26 am #

George Pistol, has began the cleaning of the streets of Buftea with
    a neutering campaign.

15. hacker dragon city September 7, 2013 at 2:59 am #

Namco gave arcade gamers one of the most memorable arcade racing experiences of the ’90s when it released Ridge Racer. It is available in the market with preloaded hd game demos , videos, along with xbox live arcade game trials. The game still retains the original game play and the charming retro look.