Thanksgiving 2012

18 Nov

Oh man. Typing that out made me realize that it’s the LAST THANKSGIVING EVER SINCE WE ALL DIE SOON! I keep forgetting we’re all gonna die soon. You’d think it would be constantly weighing on my mind, as it’s kind of a big deal. I mean, what is it all for? Why are we all working? Why are we stressing on bullshit? Why aren’t we running naked through the streets, making love and doing drugs, punching people we hate and running away, telling people we hate to eat shit…..so much to do!!!

Anyhow.

Last year, I went a little nuts on Thanksgiving. We hosted John’s family at our home in Los Angeles and I was excited to really go BALLS-OUT ALL-OUT. Basically, if it looked good and had bacon in it, I made it. I EVEN MADE BACONLESS THINGS! I think over 15 dishes total…

And who could forget our first time deep frying a turkey…

Oops sorry. That’s what it looked like when we SHOULD HAVE taken it out…

sigh.

That’s more like it.

This year, we are going up to the mountains of Utah with the family and I’ve decided to keep it traditional. Bringing the classics. Last year, I completely overdid it and there was just too much food, plain and simple. Too much food that allllll kind of shared the same flavors. Lots of casseroles. Lots of potato dishes. Toooooo much everything.

As usual, I’ve rounded up my menu into a nice little list with links. Recipes are all chosen based on my extensive research of dish commenters and ratings. And by extensive research I mean holy fuck, sometimes they make me want to stab my eyeballs out. You can’t say you used cornstarch instead of flour because that’s all you had but you also didn’t have cream so you used cool whip…and you hate ham so you used horse manure then give the recipe one star. What the fuck is that shit, are people bonkers? So after sifting through that kind of shit, I think I came up with a winning menu.

Anyhow, my picks for this year after the jump!

alton brown deep fried turkey (if you are roasting, you MUST look up Alton’s recipe for roasted turkey)…………..http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/deep-fried-turkey-recipe/index.html

cranberry sauce ……………http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/perfect-cranberry-sauce-recipe/index.html

roasted turkey gravy…………………http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-turkey-gravy-recipe/index.html

green bean casserole (award. winning.)……………http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/not-your-mamas-green-bean-casserole-recipe/index.html

garlic mashed potatoes (I will use red potatoes, skin on, and leave a little chunkier)………….http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

creamed corn……………….http://www.bluebonnetsandbrownies.com/2011/08/07/rudys-creamed-corn-recipe/

collard greens (I hate collard greens. I’ve only had them VERY vinegar-y. John is in charge of this and has the challenge of making me enjoy them………. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/collard-greens-recipe/index.html

stuffing…………STOVE TOP NO REGRETS NO SHAME IT’S MY FAVORITE

cornbread……….John ONLY likes Jiffy boxed mixes of cornbread. If I get boxed stuffing, he gets his boxed Jiffy.

mac and cheese……….duh………http://www.marthastewart.com/348566/john-legends-macaroni-and-cheese

deviled eggs……….I think I’m the only one in the world that can eat 20 in a sitting……….http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/traditional-southern-deviled-eggs-recipe/index.html

banana pudding (ALWAYS)…………..http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/not-yo-mamas-banana-pudding-recipe/index.html

sweet potato pie……………..http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/old-fashioned-sweet-potato-pie-recipe/index.html

peach cobbler……………..http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/easy-peach-cobbler-10000000257827/

phew.

So what’s your deal? Where ya goinnnnnn, what are you making? Let  me know if there is something I should add to this! I definitely feel like I could have another veg in there…..

XX!

87 Responses to “Thanksgiving 2012”

1. Cherie November 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

For my family, potato salad is a must. Here is our favorite (ignore the simplicity of the directions, they made it idiot proof for me :)) :
    POTATO SALAD
    Ingredients:
    6-7 potatoes for small, 7-10 for regular
    4-5 eggs for a small, 6-7 for regular
    Small amt. of water
    Salt and pepper
    Mayonnaise
    Dicing knife
    Medium-large pot
    1 small pot
    2 bowls (I regular and 1 large)
    Drainer
    Sweet pickles
    1 onion
    Chopper

• Peel Potatoes and dice (not to small but not too big)
    • Let potatoes boil but don’t over boil it- stick a fork and if potatoes goes all the way through it’s cooked , or taste ithile potatoes are on start cooking eggs: boil 5-6 minutes
    • When potatoes are doen, drain and cool them in drainer with water running over them
    • When cool put in the bowl your are going to serve in
    • Put the sweet pickles and a chopped onion in the chopper and let it go for a little while
    • Chop your eggs
    • Put potatoes, chopped eggs and sweet pickles and onion in serving bowl
    • Put salt and pepper in bowl
    • Add mayonase
    • mix

Also, for veggies–this is our go to: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/candied-carrots/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=brown%20sugar%20carrots&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

2. loveforbutter November 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

You are not alone in your love of eating 20 deviled eggs, because I have been there before

And it was delicious.

3. Amanda (@amandau) November 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

The only thing I would add is when my husband makes cranberry sauce, the recipe he follows is a little different – his bakes in the oven. AND IT HAS BOURBON.

And if you want another veg, I would HIGHLY recommend this brussel sprouts recipe. The pictures all look completely disgusting but I promise it’s amazing:

Have a great Thanksgiving! <3

4. Brian November 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Gonna steal that green bean recipe. Looks fantastic. Being from the NW did you guys ever do crab at TG? My family is from Seattle as well and I can’t imagine the holidays w/o some dungeness.

5. andrew November 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Since the world is going to end my menu will be coke followed by meth with a lot of alcohol.

6. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies November 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Thanks so much for linking to my creamed corn! It’s a family favorite for us all year round, not just Thanksgiving. Especially barbecues in the summer. Happy Thanksgiving!

• chrissyteigen November 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

thank YOU for sharing it!! I can’t wait!

7. Rachel November 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Looks great! If you want another veg you should make The Pioneer Woman’s Brussels sprouts recipe.

8. Shanita November 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Where is the pound cake?

9. Becca November 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

A friend of mine visited Rudy’s on a trip and came back raving about the creamed corn! He found this recipe and we have both been making it ever since! I am not normally a huge fan of creamed corn, but this is NOT your normal recipe! You will love! And while you don’t want to over salt – it is impossible to over pepper! Delish!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

10. EricaKane November 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Goin to good ol FLOURTOWN, PA for Thanksgiving lol…….(my aunt’s house). I’m sure all the traditional items will be on the menu. I MIGHT make a Tres Leches cake to add to the desserts.

11. livetothebeat November 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

The only acceptable way to eat more veggies on Thanksgiving is if you smother them in cheese.

12. Camilla November 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

Every year it’s the same for us:
    Manhattans for sippin’
    Cheese diablo wafers
    Mushroom and Brie bruschetta
    Roasted turkey (heritage bird cause they’ve got so much flavorrrrr)
    My grandmas studding recipe that I am obsessed with
    Mashed potatoes
    Mashed rutabagas
    Green beans with smashed garlic
    Rosemary roasted root vegetables
    A huge Green salad

Annnnnd cheesecake for dessert.
    And maybe that sweet potato pie this year…mmmm

13. Zuri Bella November 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

My brain is stuck thinking only about thanksgiving food. Your menu looks awesome, it has everything you want for Thanksgiving. I’d of course add a fresh salad with lots of yummy things in it but that’s about it.

As for me:
    Making basic mashed sweet potatoes- half will have marshmallows (they’ll be seasoned with a little nutmeg, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Maybe candied pecans on the other half)

Mashed potatoes- tons of butter, maybe half and half, as little liquid as possible. Possible roasted garlic

Green bean casserole- mushroom condensed soup, green beans, maybe a little sauteed onions topped with crunchy things

Stuffing- semi good bread torn apart dried out almost all the way. in a pan butter, onions, celery, apples, until translucent, add a bunch of fresh parsley, bit of sage and knorrs veggies bouillion diluted in water add bread and stir.

cranberry sauce- still not sure of I may just food process it fresh with some sugar and orange

Apple pie- This is the best (at least I think it’s the recipe that was delicious) http://allrecipes.com/video/816/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/detail.aspx?prop24=PN_1.1.1_TP.Apple-Pie-by-G (going to add nutmeg, and cinnamon to the caramelly sauce, mix the apples in it maybe a dash of lemon…and then put them in the pie crust. On the fence about making the crust from scratch)

Also my friend’s bringing turkey of some kind but I’m vegetarian and don’t care about that minor detail.

Would also like a salad with goat cheese, baby greens, avocado, and other things but I may be going over board.

There will also be two buck chuck.

14. Heather (@_HeatherY) November 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Yes Chrissy I agree with Rachel! The Pioneer Woman’s Brussels Sprouts! BACON! BACON! BACON!

15. Jean November 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Your menu sounds AMAZE!!! We are doing ham, sausage cornbread stuffing, biscuits, bacon cheddar mashed potato bake, green beans with bacon http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/green-beans-bacon-recipe-clv1112 and a pumpkin pie. Even though it is turkey day, the pig rules in my house!!!! My first thanksgiving attempting to make everything from scratch. Fingers crossed!! Can’t wait to see your pics!!!

16. Karla Perdomo November 18, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Hmmm my family doesn’t really do thanksgiving could because we are Honduran and we don’t really have this there, we do have a holiday where everyone takes a week off haha. They call it Holy Week. Any who it sounds pretty nice and fun I thought I’d spend my thanksgiving with my closest friends turns out they’re leaving to San Francisco oh well haha! Haha I wish my fam was as exciting about thanksgiving as you its a regular day for us haha. Have fun and your menu sounds just about right.

17. Kate November 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

THIS:

That’s not the recipe we use, but I don’t know where it is. Creamy sweet potatoes with a crust of crunchy pecans and caramelized brown sugar… ahhhhh it’s all too much happy. And technically you can call it a veg! Use it to warm everyone up for sweet potato pie.

18. anna November 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

oh man, the pre-charred turkey looks amazing, as does your menu. my family’s corn dish of choice is elote. every holiday, elote. yum! garlic smashed potatoes, too. sometimes no one wants to cook turkey, so it’ll be lamb, duck, ham, cornish hen, or whatevs.

great post — funny and delicious!

19. Sarah November 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

To go with that creamed corn & love of Jiffy corn mix…gotta try Corn Pudding
    One can corn (drained), one can creamed corn, 1 stick melted butter, 8 oz. sour cream, 1 box Jiffy corn mix. Mix well, bake 350 for 35-45 minutes depending on the depth of the dish. It’s a staple EVERY Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the first dish I ever cooked. Happy Thanksgiving!

20. Heather (@_HeatherY) November 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

Garlic and Sausage or Cheese and spinach stuffed mushrooms!!

21. MedSchool November 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

You don’t have any salad or buttered rolls? I’m from Texas, I couldn’t do without them rolls, girl. Looks like everything else is covered. Veggie-wise how about fried okra, sauteed sweet carrots, or braising some green beans w bacon and caramelized onions? Something easy and delish.

• sweetsewit November 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

since you love deviled eggs… and love bacon… and love food… this is my artery clogging addition to the ones you have; the mayo, mustard bacon crumbles, and what not and you have the finished product THEN you wrap it with fried bacon …very breakfastey…or prosciutto

22. Eva November 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

No crust for peach cobbler, wwhhaa?! Menu sounds delicious, enjoy and super Happy Thanksgiving!

23. Jennifer November 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

Don’t forget my grandmothers apple pie!

1 gal of apple juice
    1 gal of apple cider
    4 cups of sugar
    7 cinnamon sticks
    1 qt everclear (or vodka for less alcohol. Tequila is a nice twist too. Add more for a stronger drink.)

While stirring, boil apple juice, cider, cinnamon sticks, and sugar until cinnamon sticks open up all the way and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the Everclear. Enjoy your apple pie!

• Geneva November 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

I made Hot Apple Pie last winter~ it’s the BOMB! delicious!

24. Geneva November 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

hmmmm creamed corn… how about a Hoosier tradition called “Baked Corn Pudding” (I really don’t like the pudding word in there) It’s easy, delicious, vegetable ish and you can put it together days ahead and bake it on the big day.
    1 can corn, 1 can creamed corn, 1 stick butter, 1 sm box Jiffy cornbread muffin mix, 1 stick butter, 8 oz sour cream melted. Mix all and bake in a buttered casserole. I always add about 2 T finely finely minced jalapeno. Bake 350 for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown on top. Happy Thanksgiving Chrissy ; )

25. Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen November 18, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

So, I’m super late to the party here, but I discovered your blog fairly recently and love it. I especially love you for this bit: “You can’t say you used cornstarch instead of flour because that’s all you had but you also didn’t have cream so you used cool whip…and you hate ham so you used horse manure then give the recipe one star. What the fuck is that shit, are people bonkers?”

Helloooo, biggest pet peeve ever. Just make the damn recipe the way it’s written people!

Have a happy Thanksgiving – your menu sounds amazing!

26. GiGi Eats Celebrities November 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

SO STOKED for T-DAY!!!! And the best part, my family is celebrating Tuesday, that’s the DAY after tomorrow – ah ha ha, duh?? My favorites are definitely roasted butternut squash, the turkey (uh, yeah), roasted chestnuts (oh my are they addictive) and some garlic and olive oil poached brussels sprouts! Man, my stomach cannot wait for this epic feast to get thrown in my mouth!

27. sweetsewit November 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

28. windwein November 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

Staying home with the kids on Thanksgiving and cooking for my husband’s mother and sister. Painful. Hopefully I can feed them and get them out the door by 4:00. (Of course I’ll be drinking Cape Cods starting around 9am to get through it.) Then making a long trip to my brother’s house Friday to see my parents, sister, BIL, SIL, niece, nephews! Yay! On tap there is galuschkas, an old German-Russian cabbage roll dish. And my grandma’s dressing recipe…theeee best! Stove Top has its merits, Chrissy, but not for Thanksgiving in my world! (Jiffy corn bread is fabulous, though.) Last year I made the mac & cheese recipe and it was AWESOME. Great for kids too, who are picky about all the other carb intensive stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

29. Carly November 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

I saw today that you posted a link on Twitter for hot crab dip, which is something we used to have every year at Thanksgiving, but I haven’t had it since my grandmom died. I think it might be time to bring that back.

Aside from that, we’re having 2 Thanksgivings this year and I’m not fully in charge of either. Bringing a couple of sides (mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup/butter/cayenne, and some sort of shaved Brussels sprouts salad, probably with toasted walnuts and bacon and a vinaigrette TBD) to one. For the other, I’ll probably make the stuffing (standard white bread, celery and onions, poultry seasoning, eggs, and LOTS of melted butter and stock… my favorite thing) and whatever else is asked of me.

30. Monica November 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

wow – that’s quite the list and sounds delicious.
    I am hosting thanksgiving at my house with my family this year. We have had thanksgiving for the past 23 years at my in-laws and they have the EXACT same thing every year. There is never anything new and part of their menu includes cheese whiz and green jello…blah. I am thrilled to kick it up and have some variety this year. here’s what I am doing:
    deep fried, herb brined turkey
    ham – my sister is bringing this
    sausage and herb stuffing
    creamy mashed Yukon gold potatoes with gravy
    bacon wrapped roasted asparagus
    roasted Brussels sprouts with pomegranate and vanilla-pecan butter
    sweet potato and apple casserole – my brother’s got this one
    artichoke hearts with beurre blanc sauce
    Homemade rolls
    pumpkin chocolate cheesecake
    pumpkin pie
    apple pie
    cherry pie
    olives
    and maybe one or two other dishes that brothers will bring. Can’t wait

• Monica November 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

geez – I almost forgot the most important part of the whole meal:

Chocolate pot de creme pie.

need I say more?

31. Carla November 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Ok – So John must thank his lucky stars EVERY day to marry someone as smokin’ as you PLUS a great chef!
    I am in AWE of 2011 Thanksgiving!
    What about a Green Bean Casserole? InStyle did one from Per Se in the November issue – I am thinking of pulling that one out this year! :)

32. Lauren Galindo November 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

I make this every year (minus the cheese) it’s delish!!

33. Mindy (@mindy9531) November 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Gahhh yesss Thanksgiving. I’ve already come to terms that there will be very little amounts of sleep from Tuesday-Thursday and instead lots of cooking. Then again for round 2 on Saturday.

And the world better not fucking end this year. I’ve worked my ass off the most this semester, it has to count for something. My dad’s birthday is 12/12/12. That’s a legit birthday. And most importantly, Christmas.

34. Christine November 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

Stuffed mushrooms! Bread crumbs, olive oil, asiago, bacon. Stuff. Bake. Yum.

35. shellbell November 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Yum! How about brussel sprouts? Shit. I mean brusselS sprouts. Make the day before to get the fart smell out of the house. ;-)

Or roasted carrots with a balsamic glaze. I love loaded mashed potatoes with sour cream butter chives and shredded cheddar. Good luck!!!

36. adrienneksmith November 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

First of all, thanks for sharing that you can mess up recipes too. I love to cook and do so all the time. But I fuck recipes up often enough – I’m glad other do too.

Veggie idea: this “absurdly addictive asparagus.” Orange zest, pine nuts, leeks… And… You guessed it… Bacon.

37. Lynn November 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Looks delish! Missing a Waldorff salad. Use Greek yogurt instead of mayo. Good with golden raisins :-)

38. Kallie November 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

I love that you’re making “not yo mama’s banana pudding”, it’s my one of my favs and always a huge hit..thanks for all the links, I was going cross-eyed earlier trying to find some different recipes and having to read through all the reviews!! Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your food coma :)

39. San Diego Jenn November 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Great Thanksgiving menu! For the holidays in general…I always make these cashews to serve at home and to put in jars and give as gifts. They are addicting! Note: I buy the containers of cashews from Costco, then double all other ingredients in Ina’s recipe:

Rosemary Roasted Cashews

Enjoy!

40. Lauren @imfabu_LOS November 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Ahh going into cooking overload starting in…20 hours. Here’s my menu!
    Butternut squash soup
    Harvest salad
    Stuffed, bacon wrapped pork tenderloin
    Herbed butter turkey
    Dressing
    Squash gratin
    Brussels sprouts w/ balsamic and cranberries (thank ya kindly!)
    Green bean casserole (the man likes, the man gets)
    Roasted carrots and parsnips
    Cranberry sauce (recipe you posted)
    Citrus pound cake
    Apple pound cake
    Sweet potato pie

41. Samantha November 18, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Great choice on the collards. I recently made them (Paula’s recipe) & they were a HIT!

42. catvoncat November 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

My in-laws always insist that I bring my signature dish for Thanksgiving. They call it “Corn Happiness.” It is almost embarrassing to share the recipe because (1) it is ridiculously simple; and (2) it sounds unappealing on paper, but I swear to you it is delicious and addictive and if I ever showed up to Thanksgiving dinner without it, they would slam the door in my face.

I usually use one of the giant-sized cans of sweet kernel corn, plus one regular-size can. One block of Philly cream cheese. Two or three serrano peppers. That’s it.

Drain the corn. Cut the cream cheese into cubes. Seed and then finely dice the serrano peppers (wear gloves for that part unless you enjoy the feeling of your eyeballs bursting into flames three hours later when you absentmindedly rub your eyes, even though you washed your hands three times and took a shower after you handled the serranos). Layer corn, cream cheese, and peppers in a glass casserole dish. I usually do just two layers, I think. Either toss it in the oven or microwave it til the cream cheese is all melty, stir it around til the corn is coated in the melted cream cheese, and serve.

43. marianwrites November 19, 2012 at 12:01 am #

Check out the recipe for Momofuku’s Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce on http://www.food52.com — they’re pretty mind blowing. WITH FISH SAUCE. And herbs and shit.

44. CGL Warrior November 19, 2012 at 2:11 am #

Chrissy,

You are such an inspiration! I can’t wait to make John’s Mac and Cheese and stove top! I love it as well :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your whole family!

Love, Alicia

Alicia C. Easter (404) 624-6223 http://www.pancreatic.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=7pLHLSPvEeLWH&b=7514685&sid=gjJTL6NIIgIXL5MKKrE

45. Mike November 19, 2012 at 2:28 am #

John is correct in his staunch admiration of Jiffy box cornbread mix…as a good southern man (turned LA transplant) it’s a quick easy way to get a little southern comfort in a box!
    BTW your Thanksgiving menu looks like perfection! Can’t wait to hear how it all turns out.

46. Elisabeth November 19, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Collard greens are my favorite vegetable ever, but if they’re not done right they can be pretty terrible. I was raised on Jiffy cornbread. I had no idea that cornbread wasn’t supposed to be sweet until I visited family in the south and had “real” cornbread. I thought it tasted like sawdust, and I still use the Jiffy mix.

47. Elisabeth November 19, 2012 at 7:26 am #

48. Christina November 19, 2012 at 8:51 am #

My grandma’s spinach squares are my must-have Thanksgiving veggie..

2 10 oz. boxes frozen spinach
    1 minced onion
    1/4 lb. butter
    1 cup grated cheese
    1/2 lb. cottage cheese
    3 eggs
    Salt & pepper

Thaw spinach. Squeeze out all water.
    Brown onion in butter in skillet. Mix remaining ingredients in bowl and add onion.
    Grease an oblong dish and pour mix in.
    Bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes or until firm.

Happy Thanksgiving!

49. Beth November 19, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Chrissy, I have to tell you that divascancook’s recipe for Collard Greens is vastly superior to Paula’s. Seriously. If you’ve never checked her out, you must. She is the soul food queen.

50. Gwynne November 19, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Seriously. Love your fucking blog. As for your deviled egg comment. False. This Asian, who happens to be (probably) half your size could match if not one better the amount you eat in a sitting. I too have zero shame and love how craptastic I feel afterwards! Happy Thanksgiving!

51. lollingabout November 19, 2012 at 10:28 am #

These green beans: http://lollingabout.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/foodie-friday-sassy-green-beans/
    Seriously, how can a vegetable NOT be good when cooked in butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, and bacon?!

52. Beth November 19, 2012 at 11:18 am #

We had thanksgiving early (yesterday) and I made your line up from last year. Yes, it was a lot of food. But it was AMAZING and everyone loved it. Thank you for doing all the work to put my holiday meals together!!!! :-)

53. Emily November 19, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Sounds amazing! Have you had the chance to try PW’s cranberry sauce? It’s hands down my favorite:

Thanks so much for sharing!

54. Kelley November 19, 2012 at 11:59 am #

For another Veggie……Pioneer Womans Whiskey Glazed Carrots!!! You already have a green, now you need something orange on the plate :)

55. Jill November 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

you are so god damn funny.

56. liz November 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

For anyone who needs some help with their Thanksgiving menu: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/15/dining/thanksgiving-menu-generator.html#/?id=all
    one dish that is on our menu every year – Emeril’s corn pudding (killer): http://www.emerils.com/recipe/6953/Corn-Pudding

57. Lolo November 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Wow, such in inspiration Im not as good as you but Im Working on it !!! It looks so delicious , Im a fan : ) I am French so I never had the pleasure to celebrate thanksgiving one day maybe.

58. nicole carrabino November 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Brussels with buddah !!!

59. Yvette Poelvoorde November 19, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Chrissy, you can grow to love Collard Greens. There was a time I could not stand the damn things, but now I cannot have a holiday dinner without them. I absolutely love them thanks to my children’s aunt who taught me how to cook them right… the soul food way!!! Your Thanksgiving Dinner sounds spectacular but most importantly, you will be with family and friends. Have a very special day!!!

60. Marta November 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

My dad is making the turkey and stuffing(Mrs Cubbisson’s box recipe + macadamia nuts and cranberries)

My sister and I are making:

2 galettes for appetizers

2 salads

we’re providing one green veggie side http://whatsgabycooking.com/lemon-garlic-brussel-sprouts/ and a cousin is bringing a cauliflower dish

and for desert we’re making

sweet potato cake with toasted marshmallow http://www.annies-eats.com/2009/11/20/sweet-potato-cupcakes-with-toasted-marshmallow-frosting/

pumpkin cake w/caramel frosting http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pumpkin-cake-with-caramel-cream-cheese-frosting

pecan pie http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/the-pie-thatll-make-you-cry/

61. Ashley November 20, 2012 at 12:56 am #

I know you have green beans, buuuuuuuut this is good so try it. Also, I second the PW whiskey glazed carrots. Tested them out on Saturday (mildly burnt may or may not be due to an abundance of red wine) but still deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious. http://risingriverfarm.com/green-beans-and-pancetta-with-browned-butter/

62. Alex November 20, 2012 at 2:03 am #

Being Canadian means we had our Thanksgiving about 5 weeks ago, BUT, it was delicious!

Your menu sounds delicious and I’ve now bookmarked each recipe for a regular Tuesday dinner.

Thanks for your hilarious wit and the incredible motivation you give me to cook.

63. Elsa November 20, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Favorite Thanksgiving veggie dish – Brussels Sprouts with bacon and apples. Not everyone’s favorite, buttttt these have apples, BACON and maple syrup. Even a non-brussels sprouts connoisseur has to be intrigued. Has turned into some of my family and friends into believers, I swear. Here’s the recipe: http://backtoherroots.com/2011/10/13/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-and-apples/

64. probably jorn (@_jorn) November 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

On my bucket list: Seeing how many deviled eggs I can eat before I hate them. I think it may take all the deviled eggs in the world!!!

But, I have to know!

65. Joce November 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

awesome list!! thanks!! This one recipe has become a tradition and a fam favorite… a little un-traditional but it’s CRAZY. decadent, bacon-y. cheesy. starchy. salty. just fucking delicious!

66. Rachel A\\\\\ (@amaterialworld) November 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

I made that banana pudding a few days ago (thanks Chrissy) for an early Thanksgiving for my 99-yr-old grandma. She hates everything always and told us ahead of time that we were wasting our time making anything for her to eat because she wouldn’t want it.

Fast-forward to dessert, where she took a bite of pudding, stopped her rant about why the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and said “DAMN TASTY!” then finished a huge bowl of it.

#WINNING

67. PJ November 21, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

I’ll be coming to your house. That is pretty much the perfect menu. And I’m with John, Jiffy is the best.

68. ciara November 22, 2012 at 12:18 am #

Pineapple casserole fersure. It’s so good hot or cold. I never really follow the recipe, so it’d be hard to tell you, but maybe a cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar creamed together. 8 eggs, a little lemon juice, 40 oz crushed pineapple, and 10 cubed slices of bread that are lightly toasted. Bake on 350° for 45 minutes or until done. We have it every holiday.

• catvoncat November 22, 2012 at 12:21 am #

My mom makes pineapple casserole! I don’t know her recipe but I’ll bet it is very similar to yours. It is so, so delicious.

69. Tarah November 24, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I despise vinegary collards. I make garlic-ginger greens in a large deep skillet on the stove top (medium heat). Pour about 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Add in about 2 pounds of collards gradually, allowing them to cook down. Add minced garlic (1Tbsp) and ginger to taste. Add some salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and 14.5 oz can of low salt chicken broth. Cover and stir occasionally for 45 minutes. You may have to add more broth or water to keep them from scorching. You can’t look at collards and test for doneness. You really need to taste those bad boys for texture.
    If I can make my southern family convert from cooking collards all day long in vingear and ham hocks, you know these are kick-ass!
    And this recipe works great for kale and mustard greens as well…

Hope all had a happy Thanksgiving!

70. Natalie November 25, 2012 at 11:39 am #

We’ve been making Paula’s Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding for years! One thing we do a little differently is replace the Chessman cookies with Keebler Sandies. I don’t even like Sandies, but in this pudding, they are perfect.

71. claireligioso November 25, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

just saw your tweet about your Cooking Channel special Cookies & Cocktails – do you know if there is any way to watch it online? Would love to see all the cookie & cocktail recipes!

72. Haylee November 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Ok so this might be weird…but I SWEAR I saw you at the grocery store on Thanksgiving morning. . .

73. DBZ November 26, 2012 at 6:45 am #

We had this in addition to the classics. It was a great way to get the salad in, since I’m not a green beans lover (but we did have brussels sprouts which were fantastic). I’m still thinking about it – a SALAD!

74. Stacey Schneider November 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

can we be besties? i kid. not really. but seriously. i heart you! keep doing what you do. i admire women who are THEMSELVES through and through, haters be damned. I care way too much what people think. You are my hero, girl. Keep bloggin’. Keep tweetin’. Keep on keepin’ on.

75. Steph November 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Stumbled upon this little corner of heaven. which looks a lot like the blog i’d write, with lots of random musings and lots of people who love food, love each other, and also can’t get fat. as a vegetarian (allergic to meat is a thing, people), this whole site is basically porn. in a good, i’m reading it at work way. yay!

76. Miemonster. (@miemonster) November 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Being part southeast asian too, and CAJUN, we fry our turkeys pretty often! Actually we had a huge deep fryer and used an engine pulley to drop it in. So juicy and delicious. You should really try again. Here’s a couple pictures of ours, http://followgram.me/i/330480841039245884_5198547 before, and after http://followgram.me/i/330537606321763099_5198547

Can’t wait to hear about your thanksgiving!

77. Rose Quach December 6, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Hi Christine,

I am currently assisting in a new magazine based on models for models. I enjoy reading your blog and recipes. Would love to have one of our writers interview you. If possible, please e-mail me!

I’ll provide you with further details!

Rose

78. colleenburns December 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I have a family recipe for stuffing I think you guys need to try! It’s requires saltines… I mean I know you wanna try it!

79. Vanessa Binicki December 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Wow I just found your blog through your instagram and my god you are hilarious! Thanks for the laughs!

• Mary Lynn December 11, 2012 at 9:37 am #

a little late for Thanksgiving but there were only eight of us for dinner. Real basic stuff but my hubby (32 years and counting) said it was the best turkey, stuffing and sweet potatoes he has ever had. I didn’t stuff the bird, but roasted it breast side down after rinsing it off and sprinkling with poultry seasoning inside and out. That baby fell apart. The stuffing is how my Dad always made it: 3 loaves of bread (one each: white, wheat and rye) – cubed and tossed with poultry seasoning, a whole thing of celery chopped but not fine; one large onion pulverized so that my brother-in-law doesn’t know that there is onion in the stuffing, one quart of mushrooms sliced and two sticks of butter (not oleo, not olive oil, not unsalted butter . . . just the real stuff), dumped in a huge casserole (or two) with the water from giblets poured over; then we also had corn casserole (my kids request): corn muffin mix, 1 can each: regular corn (drained) and cream corn (not drained), butter, sour cream and bake. And the best roasted sweet potatoes (3 slices bacon, cut up and fried crisp), toss with cubed sweet potatoes (2 pounds minimum) and 1 Tbs each of nutmeg and cinnamon and 1/4 tsp each of fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Roast. Since I put the turkey in the roaster, everything else goes in the oven (I have six burner stove so I have an awesomely sized oven). I make my kids help. We always had to help. so my 11 year old was grossed out about pulling the giblet bag and neck out of the turkey. I should have taken a video of his pulling the neck out. He also had great fun tucking bits of butter under the skin of the bird and doing some of the basting. The 18 year old was tasked with the corn casserole (her request, she gets to do it). She also made brownies with a pretzel crust bottom.

Thanks for letting me share. It reminded me of the fun and laughter we had on Thanksgiving.

80. angelakschmitt05 June 12, 2013 at 12:19 am #

Hi!
    I made John’s mac and cheese, and then I wrote about it! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes! Read if you please.

81. Nona February 24, 2014 at 2:18 am #

If you like to read what real foodies think about recipes they have made using books, mags, and blogs without worrying about offending authors, mags or blogs, you should look at eatyourbooksdotcom. I love reading the notes people leave after making some incredible recipes. Much better than most reviews on other sites. BTW, you are a woman after my heart too. I think about food all the time. Have fun and although this is the first time reading your blog – came to it by way of ramen. I’m originally from Tokyo and not easy to get great ramen even in CA. When you are in Japan next time, visit antenna shops. These shops are located near Ginza and Yurakucho areas of Tokyo. They are buildings full of shops specializing in different prefectures from Japan and of course the biggie is ramen, udon, or soba. You can buy fresh (refrigerated) or dry. I buy both and bring them back to the US without any problems. My freezer is always full of different ramen from some of the greatest ramen shops in Japan.