Fish en papillote

15 Oct

Très chic!

I wish I could take pictures that could better capture the insane layers of flavors in this simple and crowd / lover / belly pleasing dish.

Now, this is one of my favorite recipes of all — the kind of recipe where there is no realllll recipe. Your tongue is the recipe. Your tongue calls all the shots here so just blindly follow it! Trust the tongue.

Shall we begin? Let’s begin…

What you need:

• A filet of your favorite fish (cod, halibut, fluke — I did cod and decided I hate cod. Did again with fluke, loved it)
  • Toasted sesame oil (upon my second testing I decided toasted sesame oil was 10x more flavorful than hot pepper sesame oil)
  • Mirin — in the asian aisle of your grocery store (yep where they sell asians) and always at whole foods / asian markets
  • Fresh ginger
  • Fresh garlic
  • 2 (or 3 if you cray like me) serrano chillies
  • Dried shiitake mushrooms / Fresh shiitake mushrooms / OR BOTH is best
  • Bundle of green onion
  • One zucchini
  • Salt and Pepper (PS the only salt I will use now until the end of time is kosher Diamond Crystal, best texture and flavor (you can be heavy handed with it!)

I know. That’s a lot of parenthesis/not a lot of numbers for an ingredient list but it’s important for you to know that the possibilities are endless here. I have done this recipe a couple times and I will say this….do MORE than you think of everything and your tastebuds and nose will be soooooo pleased when you tear open that paper. I promise.

First thing’s first.

If using dried shiitake, bring some water to a simmer on the stove top. Use about twice as much water as you will mushrooms. Once the water is hot, remove from heat, toss in a handful or so of shiitake and press down with a spoon to submerge. Right now, you are making a nice little mushroom broth that you will lightly spoon over the fish before baking. You can either use THESE mushrooms from the broth in your recipe, or cut up your fresh shiitake to sprinkle over the top. I like the broth the dried shiitake’s make, but prefer to use fresh as the ones I’m eating. Make sense? I know. I’m rather long winded here.

Let this sit as you prepare your veg.

Mince or garlic press your garlic — I think for one long filet I did 6-8 cloves, for real. Peel and finely mince or grate your ginger. Enough to match what you’ve done with the garlic, or slightly more if you love ginger like me. Finely chop the serranos. Thinly slice the green onion. Slice zucchini about 1/4 inch thick.

Prepare your parchment. Make sure it’s cut large enough to accommodate your little fish friend! you’ll need a few inches around the border to make room for the height of the fish and the wrapping up of the sides. Keep it rectangular, cut round edges, make a heart, a star of david. Who cares. Just make him a nice little home he can be wrapped up in!

Lay the parchment onto a sheet pan and add your sesame oil, making sure it’s around the same size as your piece of fish! I was more than a little heavy here — blotted a bit off post-photo.

Add the ginger, garlic, chillies, green onion and zucchini. Heavily season with salt and pepper….heavily. Remember, we are going for flavor country here. The garlic and ginger will look like a lottttt of garlic and ginger but go with it! It’ll be delicious.

Oh it looks good.

Next, lay your fish on top. Season again with salt and pepper. If you have white pepper, do a dash of that too. Because god, white pepper is awesome and this is like a tiny little UPS package of everything awesome.

Now take a small little dish and add some spoonfuls of that mushroom broth to it. Then add a little splash of mirin and some salt and pepper. I know. More salt and pepper. Cut up your mushrooms (the fresh, or the dried if you chose to use them — the dried shiitakes have a naturally more rubbery texture, some people love this). My photo shows the first time when I used the dried, but the second time I used fresh. I prefer fresh and only used the dried mushrooms to make broth.

Put the sliced mushrooms on top of your fish and spoon a couple spoonfuls of the broth / mirin mixture on top. Also add more of the chillies, green onions, ginger and garlic if you have any left!

Time to wrap! There is surely a technique to this, but not one that I am great at. As with anything, you’ll get better the more you do this. I didn’t leave enough room because I’m stupid and I just like telling other people to leave enough room. Since the technique is kind of hard to type out, here! I found some random lady on youtube doing it. click for random lady.

Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. Smaller, thinner fish = less time. Something half this size is probably around 6-8 minutes. Don’t overcook! We are just steammmmming this little beauty.

OPEN.

EAT.

I’m sure that you, like me, will eat this and come up with a few little alterations of your own. Me, I obviously love salt, super spiciness, garlic and ginger. I find the criminal sin of the home cook is to not season (salt and pepper) at nearly every step. I season everything. Everything gets love. EVERYTHING.

Also did you know that a pinch is basically 3 of your fingers coming together, saying ‘let’s do this, bitches’ to each other and grabbing as much salt as they possible can? Before school, I thought a pinch was how I pinch John’s booty — thumb and pointer. No. Get that middle finger involved too. Menage. A. Trois.

Anyhoo, make it once, make your changes. I’m sure a nice little squiggle of sriracha before baking would be the tits on this.

What other flavors do you wanna try ? Curious to hear, as this technique is gonna be a staple in my home. Well a staple when I’m pseudo-dieting / trying to be somewhat healthy at least. I mean it’s great. REALLY great. But fish….well, it ain’t no fried chicken.

49 Responses to “Fish en papillote”

1. James October 15, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

mouth is watering… you’re awesome

2. Andrea Alexander October 15, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Looks to die for! A must try.

3. Ashlen October 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

I’ve always wanted to steam fish like this but never really knew what flavors or vegetables to use. I totally trust your judgement and will be making this soon!

4. Emily October 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

This looks wonderful! Thanks for all of the detail…I’ll definitely be making soon.

5. The Author October 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

That looks awesome.

I think I’d add some thinly sliced red onion, and since I’m a sucker for red curry I’d probably substitute that for the mushroom broth.

6. Dominick S. October 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

First, I love the new image at the top of your page, awesome! Second, your culinary skills are insane now…it has been awesome to see the evolution! Can’t wait til B gives this one a spin.

• chrissyteigen October 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

thank you, D!! I still need to learn how to write recipes. blah. that’s the hardest part!! Bonnie is great at it!!

7. akd209 October 15, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

I need to make this!!!
    I recently discovered your blog and I read a bunch of the old posts last week when I was stuck in the urgent care getting a nebulizer treatment after an asthma attack. So thank you for the recipe inspiration and for making me laugh out loud at an otherwise miserable time with a breathing thing my mouth- it made me feel better and helped pass the time! Also a nurse came to make sure I was ok after I snort-laughed seeing the photo of fruit with 1 bite out of it that John put back

8. DarLai October 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Love the picture of John in the corner. This actually looks do-able… (the fish recipe, not John. LOL!)

9. madison @ toldinvain October 15, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Yum! I do something similar but with asparagus, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, the gods almighty (salt n pep), lemon, and capers.

Cannot go wrong!

10. Whitney Brady October 15, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Salmon and dill maybe? Though your combination seems amazing, I might sub for a “mushroom mixture” because there are so many yummy shrooms out there! Just found your blog. Looking forward to following!

11. Jenny V October 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

I dont want to be that guy but….ive never used sesame oil, can i substitute with olive oil or regular vegetable oil etc?!? Or will that seriously compromise the flavor/and is worth buying?!?

• chrissyteigen October 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

you coulllld but then it’s a totally different dish, which is fine. the sesame oil i love because it provides such a nice asian feel with the ginger, garlic and green onion.

12. Christina October 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Wow, this looks awesomely impressive yet easy. Best kinda recipe. =) I CAN’T believe you can write about this and post pics while doing a juice cleanse. Bravo! .

13. Jenny V October 15, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

PS i vote for a post on your juice cleanse! i love food more than i love my family ;) so I cant imagine/but im sure every female on your blog as well as myself are curious!

• Rheannon October 15, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Yes!! Please post juice cleanse;)

14. Jamila October 15, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

You have to try Tyler Florence California Sea Salt – it’s amazing.

15. NikGisMe.blogspot.com October 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Will.be.making.this. Boom

16. Nora October 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

You have such a terrific VOICE. I love it. No one writes about food the way you do (that bit about the pinch?? so so good). Glad to see you’re back on the blog train & so jealous about yr 3 wks in cooking school!!

17. Rheannon October 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

This looks amazing!!! Love your descriptions….makes the recipes easy to follow;)) xo

18. MeLisa October 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

This is my go-to meal for weeknights, so easy to prepare. I also love adding asparagus or green beans. I generally use tilapia, and some fresh herbs: basil, oregano, lemongrass. I need to experiment with different flavors. Can’t wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing.

19. Dina October 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Amazing recipe that was not! ha.. One question, you wrote 3 serranos chiles but the ones shown look like red jalapenos? I like spicy!. Best wishes… Dina

20. MeLisa October 15, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

I am also convinced that this would not be a bad addition: http://aliciasquared.tumblr.com/post/25848156268/sriracha-butter

21. Kelley October 15, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

How about adding in fresh thyme and lemon slices? Along with garlic, I always add citrus to any seafood I am cooking. And wine……….into my belly

22. sandsugarandsun October 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Wait…do I need a picture of John as an ingredient?

• izzie October 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

hahaha i thought it would be a bullet point as well.

23. Elisabeth October 15, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

This sounds and looks delicious. I love the second picture with the backdrop of the city and the framed photograph(s). Beautifully shot.

24. bo fogwell October 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

fish sauce…. do it up

25. SvF October 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

just made that! with lemongrass & mango cubes!!!! nommnommnommmm

26. Nicole Moore October 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Chrissy, I made this tonight with a few adjustments. Couldn’t get the mushrooms so I skipped that. Used jalapenos instead of serranos. And did a wave of sirracha. Dear God in heaven, the flavors were incredible!!! The spice has my nose running and I cannot get enough of this! I know what’s going in the rotation from now on!!!

27. Choffman October 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Hey baby, how big is your fillet? Wink wink, nudge, nudge! No seriously, how many ounces/ pounds, whatever is the fillet in these photos? I want to be able to judge how many people this feeds, amount of seasonings, etc.

28. bunnymysweet October 16, 2012 at 1:31 am #

How are you both detoxing and making eye contact with this? Looks incredible!
    Come check out my kawaii giveaway!
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c(”)(”)

29. Carla October 16, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Looks amazing! Good luck with the juice cleanse!

30. Joanna October 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Nice pics, what camera are you using?

31. Linzi October 18, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

I was wondering how they get all that control on the sprinkleing of the salt but I was too stupid to notice that third finger. Thank you Chrissy…I have truely been awakened! Dead serious!!!!

32. earlybyrdspecial October 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

I make fish in a bag all the time! Super easy. I like to lay the fish on top of lemon slices and fennel or leeks and then add halved cherry tomatoes and basil. Love the idea of ginger/garlic/mushrooms and spiciness! I’ll definitely try your ingredients next time I make it. This is such a fun and easy recipe to play around with! Thanks for sharing!

33. cydonie October 22, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Never had that fish before. Will make this 2nite 4 dinner. I’m with Team Chrissy.

34. Courtney K. October 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

For the love of Neil Patrick Harris!! I made this last night and it was CRAZY good. It’s what our family might call “slap delicious” so good it makes you wanna slap somebody. HA! The flavors were out of this world. Thanks for the great recipe. We ate it on a bed of rice which was perfect to soak up all the spicy juices. Ate the leftovers for lunch. Yummers!

35. jeff October 27, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Your love affair with scallions in unhealthy.

36. Drunkinthacucina November 4, 2012 at 11:32 am #

I’m making this tonight and can’t wait to put it in me and my man’s faceholes. Will update you on how it turns out.

37. elisewins November 8, 2012 at 11:04 am #

I’m going through all your posts. I miss your posts. Can we expect your Election day party food to be on here soon?

38. Kay November 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

I wish you had a pinterest button…I would so pin this recipe!!! Looks delish and will definitely try making this recipe!!

39. Nina December 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Made this tonight and used rainbow trout and added lemongrass and OMG I swear I am making this every week forever!!!!! So easy, yet when you open up that parcel deliciousness I feel like a Michelin starred chef! Thanks chrissy for yet another amazing recipe for somebody who absolutely cannot cook! X

40. Jackie January 19, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Love how you write. Made a very bland fish en papillote tonight and looked for something better. Clearly found it here. Keep on. You’re awesome.

41. agate cameo March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!|

42. TA June 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

I’ve made this twice now. First with halibut, then with swai. Both were so flavorful, even without mirin (just didn’t have it, forgot to buy it)! The shiitake really makes it. Thank you for the accessible recipe.

43. Ina (not Garten) October 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Hoooly mother of.. yes that was good! I have been stalking your blog for the last few days as I recently found it, and made this today. I think i need to take a week of doing anything and just cook your shit! Thanks for the awesome receipes and hilarious blog!

44. chicomallorca March 13, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Reblogged this on Chicomallorca's Blog.

1. I haven’t eaten much other than leftovers for the past week. | Delicious Potager - September 6, 2013

[…] adding this recipe for Fish en Papillote, which she tweeted last week, and I’m so glad she did cause that’s how I found the […]