vanilla sugar

7 Oct

Can I just get the post-ball rolling again with something completely, ridiculously easy and delicious? Something I always buy and am constantly amazed by? Something I literally want to pour into everything, including my own baths?

Every single morning in cooking class, I would do the following things: Unload my knives. Switch my shoes to those hideous bastards I threw into the trash chute 2 weeks ago. Apologize for being late. Put my coat on. Make a double espresso. Hold this giant, unassuming, plastic tub of vanilla sugar to my nose and inhale deeply while the espresso machine chugged along. I would actually even corner people I caught using the tub of regular sugar and say, “why…why aren’t you using the vanilla sugar??” to which all they could say was, “well….I dunno actually”. Well I dunno why you’re so DUMB, I’d reply. Then we would engage in fisticuffs til one of us would pause, stare at the other, then we would break out in laughter. Because hey! It’s sugar.

Now, I hate coffee. I mean, the taste is fine, I guess. It’s never done anything for me but make me completely nauseous. It does nothing for my mood or my alertness. I guess I’m more of a meth type of gal. Anyhow, I was willing to use espresso shots merely as a container vessel in which to get this vanilla sugar into my body.

My instructor, Su, quickly noticed my intense love for something so simple. So now, I pass to you. Something I am hesitant to even share as ummmmmm it’s just so fucking embarrassingly easy and I can’t believe I haven’t done it before:

Take a couple…3? 4? who cares, vanilla beans. Split them right down the middle allllll the way down using the tip of a really sharp paring knife.

Use the knife to scrape all the little seeds out of the bean. They look like teeny tiny sweet little vanilla caviar pearls.

Pour enough sugar to kill you in a food processor. Any sugar you like. Add all your little vanilla caviar pears. Blend.

Put into a resealable container with all the scraped beans. Flavor country! SMELLLLL IT.

Obviously such a cute gift when poured into a mason jar with a little tag too. For the baker or coffee drinker in your life. They will love.

PS I love shit in jars. You could literally shit in a jar and I’d still laugh and enjoy it. But mostly I love any other shit in a jar. Layered cheesecakes, baking mixes, etc. Jars of stuff for gifts are awesome. And you can use the jar. What I’m saying here is my birthday is coming up.

More posts coming up! xx

28 Responses to “vanilla sugar”

1. Doris October 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

Thank youuuuuu!!! :) Will have to try and do some jar gifts too! And I hope the last line is not an utter lie. ;) Keep going, <3s!

2. christinakjaerfavrbo October 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

A former friend of mine once presented another friend with an actual shit in a jar at a housewarming party. I believe he labelled it “Merde d’Artiste”. Just to say: Be careful what you wish for. :) I totally relate to your vanilla addiction.

3. Eric October 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I want to try this!

ps: Everyone should be nice to chrissy on twitter.

4. DarLai October 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

Love this post! This is something I can actually do! LOL!

5. Jay October 7, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

A food blog that talks about fisticuffs, meth & shit in a jar in one post! I love it! In my head Chrissy you are my snarky best friend. If I ever meet you in person don’t be alarmed when the black girl with the afro puff starts talking to you like she’s known you all her life.

• PJ October 8, 2012 at 12:35 am #

i second this comment. minus the black girl/afro puff part and insert white guy with the dirty blond hair

• janani October 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

minus the afro or dirty blond hair..

insert, sweet, loving indian girl.

6. Natasha October 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

It is completely ridiculous how much I look forward to your post. The smile that springs to my face when I see it in my mailbox makes me question my sexuality. Thanks for that Chrissy…

7. shellbell October 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

YES!! My roommate came back from Tahiti with a giant bag of vanilla beans. They’re obvs dirt cheap there. I stole a bunch and made vanilla sugar for baking. Bomb!

8. FS October 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

It’s not even that complicated. Nigella Lawson’s recipe is to just cut a couple of long beans into 2″ sections, put into a jar, pour sugar over (she uses superfine), and let the flavor infuse over time. Refill the sugar over the beans as you use it, replace the beans once or twice a year. No need to dirty a food processor. Cinnamon sugar is similar, but better to use good powdered cinnamon for that.

• FS October 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

Also, next time you are in LA, go to Fresh and Easy to buy their Vermont Maple Syrup with vanilla bean, and make Jamie Oliver’s easy one cup pancakes to go with it. mmmmmmm…

9. Nikki October 7, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

My best friend and I are actively working on making you our third best friend.Hit me back if you are interested in being best friends. I enjoy eating, cooking, texting, laying in bed while doing any of the previously mentioned things, watching and talking about almost any “crappy” reality tv, making fun of stupid people (almost everyone).

10. bunnymysweet October 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Great tip! Can’t really mess this one up :) keep em coming!
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c(”)(”)

11. Annalee October 7, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

your the shit. as always, such a funny post and now I want to book a one way ticket to FLAVOR country! xx Annalee

12. PJ October 8, 2012 at 12:30 am #

This is a brilliant post as usual. I’m definitely gonna have to make this for my girlfriend who loves coffee and baking.

13. Mike Famico (@Fameeks) October 8, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Speaking of your upcoming birthday…where/how can we, the fans, send you jars of love? Not shit love, but nice love.

14. Dan Armstrong October 9, 2012 at 12:32 am #

Chrissy, my wife and I are big fans of your blog (and Twitter). I’ve made the brick chicken, and my wife has mastered numerous recipes you’ve published. We day-dreamingly look forward to a future cookbook you’ll write.

You’ve been a big help to us, and I’d like to be of minor help as well. I work for Shopzilla.com/Beso.com, and manage the division that monetizes blogs and major retailers. Given the focus on cooking and those things that make that easy, perhaps you’d like access to content that can monetize your tasty snark. I don’t want to blather on your comment section, but if you’re at all curious, please drop me a line at dan@beso.com.

In the meantime, we will keep devouring your writing in search of a recipe to make this coming weekend!

Dan

15. D'Arcy October 9, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

Love this! You make me laugh :)

16. Dea October 10, 2012 at 8:35 am #

No better sugar than vanilla sugar! :-)

17. Kimberly October 14, 2012 at 10:06 am #

How did I not know about this?? Newest convert/addict at your services…

18. unfunfriend October 14, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Can’t wait to try this. PS – your new header is fab.

19. Meg L. October 24, 2012 at 12:51 am #

As a fellow vanilla-scent-lover, this post makes me really curious about the possibility of… VANILLA SALT.

seriously though, is that even a thing? because it sounds like either a disaster or the most amazing thing since salted caramel.

20. tinad920 October 30, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

i tried it and loved it. going to be my go to hostess/teacher gift idea. you are the ish for sharing. thanks

21. Nikki November 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

You’ve just inspired me to make some and give as gifts! You’re so right, things in mason jars are the shit!

22. kpedersen89 November 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

What kind of vanilla beans do you use? I bought Madagascar and I think they smell kind of weird. My vanilla sugar does not smell amazing… :(

23. agate cameo March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Excellent post. I definitely love this site. Keep writing!|

1. So Delushious « Deliciously - February 18, 2013

[...] She’s the fiance of singer John Legend and a Sports Illustrated model who happens to be a huge foodie and by the looks of her blog, a great chef!  When she’s not modeling in exotic places or arm candy to John Legend at top events, she loves to review restaurants she gets to try during her travels and show off her really awesome recipe finds.  She is a hilarious writer and you can tell she’s super passionate about food (she enrolled in cooking school!).  If you guys get some downtime, go back and read all her posts like I did this weekend!  Anyway, I will be trying a few recipes that I found interesting in her blog in the next few weeks and hopefully sharing them here!  Here’s a simple recipe she learned in cooking school that’s super versatile and also makes for a great gift idea!  Vanilla sugar! [...]

2. Vanilla Sugar | My Life = Love, Food, Wine, Travel - February 27, 2014

[…] of the vanilla beans then just blended it with the sugar. Inspired by Chrissy Teigen’s post here! I love her blogs, it seems like she’s stopped writing in it for a couple of months now, but […]