Fried Chickennnnnnnnnn

16 Sep

I have 3 favorite dishes.

Scalloped potatoes. Preferably my mom’s.

Chicken pot pie. Preferably Ina’s orrrr who am I kidding, Marie Callender’s.

Fried chicken. Preferably John’s.

One of the hardest and best things about school is that they’re trying to teach me to be inventive and more creative. Basically it’s obvious I love cooking, and love cooking other people’s recipes. But it’s time for that to change. Time to create and have recipes that people post and credit (maybe) to meeeee!? The idea seems insane to me but it’s actually a really fun process. Recipe writing seems scary and stressful and is notttt exactly something I am excited about. But the team I have is absolutely wonderful and I learn every. Single. Day.

The other day, we came up with the idea to jazz up fried chicken. Also, since I try to be low carb, maybe a flourless option? Kinda pointless, as fried chicken really isn’t too high in carbs — it’ll just shut your heart down and clog your arteries — but hey, why not explore different ways and have fun just for the hell of it?

Out came the pork rinds. We tossed a couple bags of them into the food processor and seasoned with salt, pepper, and some random spicy seasonings we tossed in without too much thought. Thennnn we popped the buttermilk and hot sauce marinated chicken into the ground pork rind mixture to coat.

Then straight into the fryer.

Aw fuck. As you can see from that naked ass wing tip, nothing stuck. But what was fried up, crumbly and salty and left behind, was totally deliciouso.

Upon tasting it, we knew this failed experiment would have to go somewhere. So we tried again, this time rubbing the pork rind mixture onto the marinated chicken and tossing it in the oven. The result, drizzled with a little sweet chili sauce, was AWEEEEEEEEESOME.

Anyhoo. No recipe yet but an interesting idea that I want to continue to toy with. Maybe throw some cooked bacon in with the pork rinds in the food processor? Cheese? Maple syrup? Bourbon? Bacon with bourbon? Wrap the entire chicken in prosciutto then coat? AHHH the possibilities are endless.

LET’S TALK FRIED CHICKEN. Your best tips, marinades, restaurants. Any ideas you want me to test out? This….these are the tasks I can stick with :)

26 Responses to “Fried Chickennnnnnnnnn”

1. Kat September 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Any chance of John guest-blogging again about that fried chicken recipe of his?

2. Maddie September 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

I am so happy you are blogging again, because it means good recipes and you get to see this comment! Last week I made the asian chicken wings and scalloped potatoes back to back nights! Too much good to handle. But another reason for this comment: I joined cooking club at school and we got to choose any country we wanted to make a recipe from. I chose Thailand because of your recipes! Do you have any good ones you can think of that are Thai? I might do the wings but I don’t think mine were as good as yours because my parents don’t trust me with the grill so I had to use a George Foreman. Thanks!!!

• chrissyteigen September 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Oo lemme think!! Can’t go wrong with tom yum goong though! I’ll get recipe from my mom’s book when I get home!

• Maddie September 17, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I just looked that up and it looks really good. Is it usually a meal on its own or do you have it as like a soup/salad course before the main meal? Also, we need to get candy from our respective countries for October (Halloween) do you have any favorites?

3. Jean September 16, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

I wonder if you double coat the chicken in pork grind batter/buttermilk mix if that would make a nicer crust? I know that is what some people do with a regular flour batter! Keep up the cooking and the blogging!! :)

• chrissyteigen September 16, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

nah we tried that! was almost worse. lol.

• Craig (@DJ__Sapiens) September 16, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

The carbs in coconut flour are mostly from fiber – that might make a flavorful batter. I was just considering using it this past week for dusting and frying.

4. Angie September 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

I am the least creative person ever! But, anything with sriracha and properly fried is delicioso! Maybe add some cheese and panko bread crumbs?

5. Rosemary September 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

How about a parmesan crusted fried chicken? The good fresh shredded parmigiano reggiano stuff. Would that work as low carb?

6. Jay September 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Yay! You’re back!

7. LaToya September 16, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Hi! It’s my first post here. Have you thought about dipping your chicken in egg whites before coating with porkskins?

8. sarinamaynor September 16, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Girl you should try soaking it in buttermilk, then egg wash, then pork rind batter! It should coat better! OmNomNommm

XoXo Sarina
    The Full Belly Diaries ­čŹ┤

9. Kelsey B September 16, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

My uncle makes a fried chicken where he uses dried habaneros and other dried SPICY peppers with panko.. He deseeds them (or sometimes leaves the seeds in!) and puts them in a processor to grind them verryyyy finely. He adds the pepper mixture to the panko breadcrumbs and that’s the batter! Before, he soaks the chicken in a seasoned water, pats them dry, dips them in buttermilk and then into the mixture. They are then fried and BAM! Freakin’ delicious if you love spicy food! However, the more peppers you put in with the panko, the spicier it will be (obviously) and even if you use a teeeny bit, you still get a nice kick! It’s usually drizzled with some sort of sweet sauce but he won’t tell me what it is :( It sounds weird and kinda gross, but it is AMAZING!!! Glad you’re back! :)

10. Algerine September 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

I am a Military wife living in Japan and I Love to cook and find copies of my favorite foods,
    If you love Marie Callender’s pot pie you will love this recipe!

11. Darin September 17, 2012 at 1:13 am #

healthy fried chicken: marinate in buttermilk at least 4 years (preferably overnight), then coat in panko with seasonings (lawrys and pepper is what I use) and then put on the grill. Only turn once, and the panko will stay on just like fried chicken. I use chicken breasts and they taste just like chicken tenders.

12. leighesposito September 17, 2012 at 4:00 am #

Herro prease! :) Did try dredging lightly in flour before dipping in buttermilk and pork rind mixture? Also, putting coated chicken on cooling rack and letting it set a bit/letting excess drip off before frying helps keep the crust on. Can’t wait to try this recipe! I think you should call it Pork-Fried Chicken. :)

Love the new posts! Xo

13. NJBD September 17, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Absolutely FAB recipe. This is a definite MUST TRY.
    Love the update since your big gig, big congrats.
    Since I’ve been following you on Twitter, I have remained highly entertained.
    You are certainly not just a pretty face! Total package = a very lucky John Legend.
    Beautiful couple =D. Happy cooking!

14. Kristina September 17, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Don’t judge me, but I’ve always wanted to try breading chicken with crushed cheez its. Because blood in, blood out with me and cheez its. If I make this happen any time soon, I’ll let you know how it goes. Because…you care?

15. G.Amelie September 17, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Hi Chrissy, I recently found your blog (like 5 days ago recent) and I am obsessed. I also recently discovered I love cooking and can actually cook. ALL who know me were equally surprissed. I’m a take out,eat out, have someone else cook for me kind of girl. But i met a boy, fell in love , made him dinner one night and the rest in history. Since then food is never as good if I don’t make it myself.
    I too would like to go to cooking school. Nothing crazym I’m not trying to to open a restaurant or become a chef. Would just like to go crazy in my own 2X4 NYC kitchen.
    Can you suggest any cooking school/s in NYC i could look into.

Best,
    G.Amelie

16. amandakatarina September 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Maybe make the crumbles a bit finer, possibly try using a mortar and pestal? A lot of potential with this recipe – glad you posted i! I really like the bourbon idea. Like your peach jack daniel sauce was mindblowing. I also think fried chicken tastes amazing with honey butter drizzled on top.

17. Susannah Maria September 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

It matters not one bit if ur bloggin about ur recipes or other peeps’ recipes cos it’s ur personal touch and kind-of-review on the recipes that make ur bloggings awesome. So happy to see new posts. Would love to get a bit of insight on ur tipple of choice. Think from ur tweets you have, as have I, a fondness for vino. Poss red more than white? My taste changes so would love some good reccs if u have any Chrissy??

18. Sara September 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

I am worthless for ideas. I have one guy cook me fried chicken once a year. Our annual Mother’s Day Fried Chicken Fest (I am not a mom). I can’t imagine I could ever do any better, but I wish you luck and am sooooooooooooooo happy you are BACK!

19. Roland September 21, 2012 at 1:12 am #

Try like a Korean or Asian-style fried chicken (wings or drumsticks). Marinate in a sweet, sour, spicy, soy type of marinate. Quick dredge in corn starch, and fry. Maybe build a Vietnamese caramel (fish sauce, garlic, sambal, sugar in a sautee pan), and toss through. Incredible stuff, and you can customize (if you like more sweet, more sour, more “funk”).

20. radrc September 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

The idea of using pork rinds as breading makes me SO happy. It’s genius! If you’re ever in Savannah, GA, you have to go to http://mrswilkes.com/ I DREAM about that fried chicken every night…

21. Natasha Shah February 1, 2013 at 1:32 am #

My grandmother learnt this from her mother and handed it down to my mother and my mother handed it down to me…
    Oh well you know where this is going.
    I’m Malay and we Malays like it like this :

Pat dry wings
    Season with Chili powder, Tumeric powder, salt and pepper – if you wish.

Fry it till it’s golden brown and yummy.

Enjoy.

p/s: i just found my way here and you are amazing!!!!!!

22. Justine November 22, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

I love ur blog! I usually don’t comment but felt the need to share with u my success with low carb oven fried chicken. I basically did the same as you except the marinade. I Use buttermilk + creole spices for marinade. Cover and marinate for 8-12 hrs. Dredge chicken in egg wash then coat in processed pork rinds + parmesan mixture. Repeat process. Then I bake chicken on wire rack in oven @400 degrees for 45 mins.

Btw, congrats on ur recent nuptials. Pics are amazing! :-)