Provençal Lamb

6 May

Ooooh baby.

You know shit is serious when it involves an accent underneath a “C”…..which, ahem, is called a “cedilla” by the way. Look at the stuff I teach you! I’m like a one-stop shop for learning if you only care about heavy foods, accents, and how to go off on random tangents of complaints and insecurity. That’s all you need to know in life, right? I agree.

Let us start with the lamb….

Only a few things in this world make me feel like a badass. One is grabbing the tie of an overly-serious-about-his-job club bouncer or security guard and wrapping it around my fist as I pull him closely and whisper “go fuck yourself” in his ear (I’ve done this before). Another is hopping from one up-escalator to the down-escalator next to it in one foul swoop to save a falling old man at the airport and simply walking away like some freakin hero, no big deal, just savin lives here. And another thing that makes me feel like a badass? Holding the entire, butchered leg of something I would not have been able to stop petting if I had seen it alive, frolicking on a pasture, enjoying life…..oh god this is terrible let’s just get to it….

This lamb is a recipe I’ve been eyeballing in Ina Garten’s “How Easy Is That!” cookbook — one of my favorites. The recipes are surefire crowd-pleasers, visually beautiful and just plain delicious. The hardest part is coming to terms with the fact you might not be able to find something like “frozen, miniature white pearl onions” or “young spanish kale” or “medium grain mustard”…like wtf can you throw us a bone here? But it is up to you, my friend, to just say screw it and do the best with what you can find. It always works out :)

Let me just say now that if I were to do this again, I’d do it a hundred times better than I did last night. (that’s what he said) (sad face). It was about 2 pounds smaller than the requested lamb-leg weight. But this is something I always like to do — I buy less meat and make the same amount of sauce or marinade, thus making it FLAVOR COUNTRY. I figure no one is ever gonna say, “WHOA CHRISSY. This is TOO MUCH flavor, slow down!!”. And so far it has worked. But for someone not too experienced in roasting entire lamb legs, I shoulda stuck to the recipe, for my cooking times were all sorts of thrown off and I *did not* have a working meat thermometer. I know, I know.

Not my own recipe but I definitely endorse it, so hence it’s presence. As usual, photos first, link at the end!

Yessss….

So, since we are all about honesty here, I completely undercooked this thing. Probably had a lot to do with lack of meat thermometer, but I also figured the cooking time would be less since it was so much smaller. But no…I cooked it that entire time, and a little bit longer. So I carved the thing (the word “carved” being used VERY loosely here, I need to learn how to carve meat) and threw the pieces back into the roasting pan with the sauce and continued to roast until the meat was “as desired”. I love my lamb medium rare but this thing was BaAaAaAA’ing pre-carve.

There is always a way to save something :)

It was tender, juicy, saucy, and had suchhhh flavor — flavors that I wasn’t really used to tasting altogether before. Honey, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, MEAAAAAT….

Enjoy, and oh, ask your butcher to tie it up. One less thing for you to do. Concentrate on your wine, my lovelies.

Ina Garten’s Provençal Lamb Recipe

13 Responses to “Provençal Lamb”

1. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) May 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Can I just tell you, lamb is one of my favorite meats but it intimidates the hell out of me. I make a great stewed lamb but this baby is my dream. I am going to beat this and make it sometime soon. Something about the taste of lamb and tomatoes makes my mouth water. Will post pics once I conquer it. And enough with that Red Velvet cake ice cream with you, I am so obsessed with it, I had to stop buying it. Glad to have you back.

• chrissyteigen May 6, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

lamb scares me too but man i love it! i looovvve lamb lollipops though, those are easy for me. will work on perfecting :)

2. Tony May 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Hey now, there’s guys who like cooking and drinking wine too ya know :P

3. mamooney82 May 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

three things: a) You are hilarious b) Thanks for entertaining me while schooling me c) I had no idea you were a superhero

4. gwendolynk8 May 6, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

My favorite part of the recipe is that Ina freaking Garten says “OMG”… Picturing her saying that is just cracking me up.

5. becs May 6, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

gosh i love lamb (i block out visions of cute sheep babies). you talk about conduits for delivering flavor to one’s mouth and lamb might be one of the best meats to do so in my opinion. will definitely try this.

6. Hogmani May 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

I just love your cooking descriptions, I’m a fan!
    Hilarious!
    I always underestimate the roasting and braising times. Also in my smoker.

Try cooking Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc braised beef short ribs. The reduction at the end es worth the work I promise! I made a parsnip, celery root and white bean puree to work with.

I would love to hear your experience on making this! One of my favorite dishes to cook and eat.

Great blog, can’t wait till the next one ;-)

7. Alison May 6, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Ummm…..hopping the airport escalator to save an old man???? Superhero Chrissy stories are fun too!!!! Details?????

8. Victoria Sargasso (@vixsargasso) May 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Ooooh, this sounds so good. I can’t wait to try it! It will be my first attempt at roasting a whole leg o’ lamb as well. It does look a bit daunting, but I will let you know how it comes out! Just started following your blog, it’s fab!! :)
    Looking forward to having some free time at some point to read some past posts and see what other things I need to be cooking that you recommend, foooodieee. Thanks!! xo

9. Jessica May 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

I made a boneless leg of lamb on Easter (couldn’t find a bone-in one anywhere – not a lot of lambs prancing around Hawaii), and it was also baaa-ing at me when it came out. I DID have a meat thermometer, but I think it was judging me for cooking lamb and therefore fucking with me constantly that day. It was a’ight, but the leftovers recipes were so good I wanted to punch myself in the boob. Moroccan lamb stew w/ dates and eggplant and REAL shepherd’s pie.

Also, a friend just recommended your blog, so I’m blogstalking you a little right now. I’m also a fan of bacon, and saying fuck a lot, and of not being fat. The world would be a better place with more people like us in it.

10. damola July 5, 2012 at 10:48 am #

omg…looks uh-mazzzing!

11. weltrees July 23, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Cuisine Mediterranean style is the best :) Check out this yummy roast variation with Mediterranean ingredients: http://fourchetteknife.com/2012/05/01/roast-beef/