Mustard Roasted Potatoes

6 May

Sometimes I dunno what else to say other than “shit’s delicious”. It just is. And EASY as pie. Except why do people say that? I find pie impossible. Do they mean pi? Pi is easy I guess if you’re saying just knowing that number is easy but not really if you don’t know where it came from or why it exists. Maybe it’s phi? Maybe people in Phi sororities or fraternities are known to be easy? These are all college experiences I missed. Anyhow. Moving on.

Ina uses mustard in so many dishes that I often find myself making other recipes, from other cookbooks, and saying “this would be more delicious with a hinnnnt of mustard…”.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, will love this. I promise you. Whole-grain mustard, red potatoes, yellow onions, salt, pepper, olive oil and parsley is all you need.

Mustard Roasted Potatoes, here!

MAKE IT TONIGHT. And all week.

32 Responses to “Mustard Roasted Potatoes”

1. Brittany May 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

I can not wait to be done with finals to make my mom and myself a delicious meal with these potatoes. This is a college experience you should be happy you missed.

2. suitablegirl May 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

I’ve dated an Alpha Delta Phi alum for four years and yes, he is very easy. So allow me to confirm that for you. That and Alpha Phi sorority’s nickname is sometimes “All For Free” (eek). So there’s that, too. Easy as Phi!

3. becs May 6, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

3 posts in two days! good to have you back, teigen. thanks for continued cooking inspiration and entertainment. story for you…my friend is very brave and likes to do weekly, sunday night dinners where she buys all food (incredible ingredients from ethnic markets in Chicago) and cooks everything for 20 to 30 of our friends of which are all grad students in “business college.” we transform our guy friends’ “frat house” equivalent into a space where the tables on which we eat are actually regulation beer pong tables covered by bed sheets w/ fold-out chairs as seats. classy. i know. but the space is perfect as their kitchen is fabulous, the food is incredible, and the laughs are endless.

anyways, why is this relevant to you? i am my friend’s weekly sous chef and only feel like I add value at this point b/c you inspired me to really dive into learning how to cook during this past year. my goal is to one day host weekly dinner parties for 20 to 30 on my own, and i know i’ll be using sodelushious as my go-to for ideas. also, i know there will eventually be a sodelushious book for me to buy too. cannot wait for that. for now, i continue to practice w/ recipes you post here mostly for just myself and occasionally for smaller groups of 8 to 10. as always, thank you for posts and inspirations!

off to cook now. happy sunday!

p.s. loved the FB post today. love the different sides you show us of you and your life. your mom is incredible and she must also be so proud of you.

• chrissyteigen May 6, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

becca, this was so awesome and really just made me so happy.

you are why I do this! seriously. you are awesome. and those 20-30 person parties will be SO stressful but so fun and rewarding — everyone will look at you in a whole other light!!!

• Becca Roux May 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

yay! glad you appreciated story because I’m very appreciative of you and want you to know you have lot’s of blog/twitter fam (read: strangers) cheering you on.

stressful but rewarding is perfect description of cooking for this many people. my friend actually started the Sunday night dinner tradition in D.C. while she worked for Obama admin prior to coming back to school. She was the “sous” chef then for her roommate who led the charge and now she’s training me. she always throws out disclaimers as the meal is being served to deal with stress, but everybody is always so happy and eventually full. the tradition will continue wherever i move next. right now, we toast our glasses of wine to you as the cooking continues.

4. Kat May 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

You got me at wholegrain mustard!!!

I know you paired this with Provençal Lamb (I got the cedilla, too!) but lamb is not really easily available where I live (the Philippines)… Do you think this would go well with the Boursin chicken? Or would that be too many flavors clashing?

5. Emily May 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

I made these tonight! Soooooo good. Paired them with chicken in white wine sauce and Swiss chard sauteed with garlic. Yum yum yum. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. lindseyc May 7, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Oooo yeah I’m making these tonight! And thawing some of your chipotle chicken marinade… this looks so stinkin good!

7. Karin May 7, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Cannot wait to try these. I just discovered your blog and I’m obsessed. I can’t wait to keep reading and learning, you’re amazing and hilarious! Love!

8. Linda May 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

YESSS thank you!! 2 months ago I made Ree’s creamy mustard chicken so I had to buy a huge jar of the whole grain mustard (my grocery store ran out of small jars…) & I’ve been trying to find something to use it with ever since!!

9. Lauren May 8, 2012 at 8:13 am #

I love this blog & I cannot wait to make this recipe!

10. Heather May 8, 2012 at 10:59 am #

This might be a long shot but could I hire you to cater a party for me? I’m expecting about 30 people and I would need a selection of appetizers and deserts, things that would be easy to eat standing up! Could be a great blog post :)

11. Emma Macdonald (@OfficiallyEm) May 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

yummm! man I love potatoes! now that I have a kitchen Im so excited to start cooking again. was living in hotels while finding an apt in NYC. blah! Im also keen to try the catfish recipe. Never had it before!
    thnx

12. Hip Restaurant May 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

Awesome! Have you thought about buying an immersion circulator (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/polyscience-professional-sous-vide-thermal-circulator/), it’ll change your life. Eggs, meat, seafood, veg, etc, all come out amazing when done the right way.

Those mustard potatoes would be pretty incredible if they were all golden brown and crispy, so…solution? Par cook the potatoes before you quarter them. 67.5C in the water bath for an hour or so (little longer if you decide to use bigger potatoes), then pop’em in an ice bath. It’s a process called “retrograding”, helps set (or fix) the starch.

You can make home fries/hashbrowns that stay crispy the entire damn day on the counter. Intense potato flavor too.

Keep cooking and encouraging girls to eat, eat, eat. Eating is a good thing!

• chrissyteigen May 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks for the tips!! Awesome, seriously. Can’t wait to try!

13. Lisa May 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Made these last night, yummy! What was that your Mom was cooking today that she posted on your Twitter account? It looked delicious. Have you ever thought about a cooking show with your Mom? I’d watch! :)

14. Pam May 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Thanks Chrissy, I needed a new side dish. I was getting sick of rice and pasta with everything. Do you think I could do up the potatoes the it before and leave them in the fridge until dinner time the next day to cook. Trying to save time?

PS – thanks to you (and the over salting of the stuffed peppers) I now taste AS I cook. It seems simple but I was always so busy following a recipe exactly that I never would. You have made me a much more relaxed, and therefore better cook. Thanks!

Pam

• chrissyteigen May 9, 2012 at 8:38 am #

the recipe says you can definitely “marinate” those potatoes in the ziplock overnight. will be awesome!

15. eatingwithassholes May 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Oh! I make these all the time, basically, except I toss them in the mustard after they roast. That way they can get extra brown and crispy, but since you toss them when they’re still really hot, the mustard still sort of soaks in so it’s not a completely separate entity. (Also good: roasted cauliflower tossed with any mustardy or vinegary dressing/marinade after roasting.)

Also, I somehow missed those college experiences too despite my attending not one but four colleges. Way worse.

16. Ryan May 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Did anybody else have problems with the onions burning? I think i’m going to throw them into the oven about a half hour after the potatos.

17. Michi May 18, 2012 at 5:37 am #

just made this tonight, along with the apple/pecan/blue cheese salad (sans cherries)! still very much a beginner so i definitely felt like a badass making my own dressing .. my onions got burnt too, but no biggy, still delicious!! :)

18. African Safari Cookbook May 18, 2012 at 11:14 am #

This looks lovely! Head over to our new African safari cookbook and try some exquisite dishes from some of Africa’s top chefs!

19. beckscostello May 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

I make this dish all the time. It’s a big favorite in our house! Great post as usual. X

20. catvoncat May 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

I made these on Sunday to go with my Morningstar Farms vegetarian BBQ “riblets” (who says vegetarians can’t use this blog?) and they were magically delicious. They made the whole house smell amazing. I prepped them and let them marinate in the fridge for five or six hours before roasting.

I reheated the leftovers last night by wrapping them in foil and heating for 30 minutes at 350. I swear to you they were even more delicious the second time around.

21. Michelle June 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

ridiculously easy and delicious recipe…thanks!

22. Amy June 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

These were amazing, and so pretty! Basically I use this blog as a starting point on what to make for dinner several nights a week. No need to question on whether the food is good or not, because A) it generally has bacon in it, and B) you can be a bit heavy handed with the spices. Not to mention the way I eat has been changed forever (everything’s smothered in chipotle marinade).

This blog is the perfect way to wind down and relax at the end of my day. Delicious food and uniquely witty writing, what’s not to love?! Keep it up!!

Also, I want to start a rumor that you’re writing a cookbook, just so you have to follow through with it. No pressure or anything :)

23. Ali June 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Made these last weekend for a BBQ for 11…I couldn’t slap away the hands fast enough so they never made it into a bowl. Amazing. Thank you for continuing to add laughter and deliciousness to our lives. xxoo

24. Jacob June 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

I am so glad my friend sent me your blog. This dish looks amazing and simple…which is my kind of meal. I am vegetarian and appreciate that you post non meat dishes and delish desserts too. I will have to send you a recipe for a quinoa salad/salsa dip. Also, I saw you last weekend for your 80′s party and after reading your blog I should have come up and met you and John! You are awesome! Regrets….but maybe I will see you around LA. Thanks again for all of the great entries…especially the desserts and dog pics :)

25. Shan June 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

IDK what i did wrong. It came out good but charred. Maybe it’s because I was lazy and used frozen chopped onions? I never have any issues using frozen chopped onions tho.

26. agate cameos jewellery March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Hi excellent website! Does running a blog like this require a large amount of work? I have absolutely no understanding of computer programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject however I simply had to ask. Kudos!|

1. My last weekend of freedom… | MAD: Crazy. Beautiful. Life. - June 16, 2012

[...] http://sodelushious.com/2012/05/06/mustard-roasted-potatoes/ [...]

2. Beauty and the Feast Blog: Beauty Tips, Make Up Reviews, Interviews with Beauty Gurus, Product Giveaways and Delicious Food - October 14, 2013

[…] onions, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil, and whole-grain mustard seeds. I came across it first on Chrissy Teigen’s blog, So Delushious!, because she is one of my favorite people ever since I’ve interviewed her (twice!), and then […]