DUCK FAT

1 Mar

The time: 7pm

The place: Midtown Manhattan.

Let me set the scene.

John was taping Jimmy Fallon. Blah blah music music, funny jokes, 30 Rock. We leave Jimmy Fallon. At 7. I say, “To the butcher!”. Ottomanelli & Son’s was my goal. I had made a bunnnnch of phone calls yesterday morning, desperately looking for duck fat to make crispy potato and garlic cakes from Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook (I KNOW, I KNOW)

I thought it would be much easier than it was. Me being me, I of course did not want to leave my area of the east village to venture out for duck fat. So I figured I’d just wait until we had a car from Fallon (yes Fallon, you paid for this duck fat venture) since it was absolutely disgusting out yesterday.

I don’t know why, but I assumed butchers had…oh I don’t know…normal human being business hours. But I guess not.

Ottomanelli & Son’s, the one place I called that actually had it (an abundance of it, as well) was closed.

Also I have no idea why I am writing this like a dramatic story but let’s go on.

Last week, I found myself cooking from the Momofuku Cookbook…which is one of my favorite things in the entire world. It’s one of those books where the ingredient list looks simple enough, but then it tells you that you need kimchi, and the recipe for kimchi is 50 pages back, then the kimchi needs a certain ingredient, and that recipe is another 20 pages back. Now, it’s not the kimchi recipe that calls for this tediousness, but many of the recipes do, and can get complicated (but SO WORTH IT, you are soooo proud of yourself). But I was making kimchi brusselsSSSS sprouts and found myself in the situation where I didn’t have 2 days or a week to let it sit so out I went, to Momofuku itself.

Now, I had my birthday there. I go there, alone, all the time. I go with John all the time. I think of myself as sort of obsessed with the place, so I can’t imagine what the employees think of me. But I went in, asked for kimchi, and bam, they gave me kimchi. Cheating? For sure. I still can’t take credit for dem mini cabbages.

Anyhow, you can tell what I’m getting at here. When I think duck fat, I think Momofuku. So off we went, and minutes later, not only did I have duck fat, but I had a LOT of it. A TON. Like, I could bathe in it. I LOVE MOMOFUKU. Have I said that before??

So here’s the fun part. EVERY single recipe I make for the next week or until I am just plain out of duck fat, will be recipes with, well, duck fat. An homage to my dear friends at Momofuku.

Oh baby baby.

35 Responses to “DUCK FAT”

1. Drippin' Swagu March 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Ah! I too, love Momofuku!! and the Milk Bar Cookbook! Good luck with that duck fat. I will live vicariously through you as I am in the process of a Spring-is-here-get-your-ass-into-shape diet :(

2. shellbell March 1, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

mmmmmm word to the fuckin bird chrissy!!!

3. TCR March 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

awesome that you ended up with so much of it, but i just buy duck fat at whole foods.

4. Liana Robberecht March 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

I love that place as well, had one of my favorite meals ever ! the sweatbreads are heaven! the grits … helllooooo big love fest! cant wait to return to NYC just to eat there again

5. melissamary March 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

The fat itself looks gross but the potato cakes look bomb. I never thought id see the day when u make one of her recipies?!

6. Jody March 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Can’t wait to hear what you make with it! We used it during my cooking class last night, as we braised a leg of lamb. My chef said they sell it at Whole Foods??? Was he lying?

7. SAN March 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Me also; my Whole Foods started selling duck fat recently. Score.

8. Katie March 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

I guess you don’t need to know this now since you have so much of it…but in the future, if you need duck fat, I’ve gotten it at Dean & Deluca in Soho before.
    Also, yummm

9. Mawla March 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I am still getting over brusselS sprouts. Who knew?

10. Wendy March 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

So that’s why your skin is sooooo gorgeous!!!!!!

11. kellizink March 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Not to rain on that duck fat parade…BUT when it’s gone- would you consider making a vegetarian friendly recipe (that is also awesome to eat) ? Thank you. and all of at CelebTV love your blog.

12. Mike Famico (@Fameeks) March 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

NICE! I feel like a mini-winner. That Ottomanelli place was the one I suggested yesterday when you asked on twitter. Not bad for a Boston kid, having never been to NYC.

Do you laugh (as I do) when reading recipes that tell you to not leave ginger in the wok too long because it burns easy? ALL Gingers burn easy!

Ciao~Mike

• Ron March 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

haha mike

13. Lauren March 1, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

I know you love Ree, but have you tried anything from http://smittenkitchen.com/ ? She is my favorite and ALL of her food that I have tried comes out amazing. I love your blog! It is a fun read and even this little vegetarian can appreciate some yummy bacon photos!

14. Lisa March 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

That is a LOT of duckfat! I’m super excited to see what you’re going to cook. I love Momofuku also; a couple of friends and I did the bo ssam one summer 2 years ago and it was like Thanksgiving in July. One of the best meals I’ve ever had.

15. Shy (@BeautyNDFeast) March 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Hilarious — I LOVE Momofuku’s too! Have you been to Milk Bar in midtown? The manager there is the most amazing guy ever and let me try all the desserts because it’s Momofuku’s and it’s awesome, and everyone who works there is apparently awesome too. This though, is a little while’s away from the EV, so I fear you might not venture all the way up!! haha

16. Leslie March 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Holy Christ! I can’t wait for these duck fat recipes! (And just in time for almost swimsuit season. You hate us, right?)

17. On life and stuff March 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

I’m so happy for you!!!

18. Bekah March 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

My hometown (Portland, Maine) has a restaurant that is literally named Duck Fat. They are famous for their Belgian fries which are of courrrseee fried in duck fat … sounds like it would be up your alley, hahaha

19. Rachel March 1, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

I got the Momofuku cookbook for Christmas and still haven’t used it butttt I’m off for the next 10 days, so now is the perfect time to break it open. What is the first thing I should make? I can’t decide, please help!!

20. Teague March 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

Random Question: What is the color on your nails? I love it!

Also, I love the blog and I have used your chipotle marinade for several dinner guests who LOVE it!

21. Sara March 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

A blog you might like: Danny, who recently moved from Portland to Brooklyn, has been cooking through Gwyneth’s entire cookbook and found that it was IMPOSSIBLE to find duck anything in Portland, which Gwyneth requires in about 99% of her recipes. So here’s the post of what happened once he moved to Brooklyn and looked for duck bacon:
    Seemed relevant. Also, he’s a really funny guy.

22. Jill March 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Just curious as I’ve never had it, what makes duck fat so delicious? Is it naturally salty or something? Being from Minnesota it’s not typically a hot commodity around here!

23. Henriette March 2, 2012 at 3:37 am #

I know this has nothing to do with “duck fat”, but do you hav norwegian parents or something? Your name look so norwegian :)

24. xoxome11 March 2, 2012 at 11:41 am #

ok — on an ENTIRELY different topic…did everyone see the tweet of Chrissy inviting the President to her wedding and he asks her the date: “I dunno. we’ll work around you”!!!!!!
    I swear I don’t consider myself a “fan” of many people, but Chrissy, you are amazing! I am so definitely a fan!!!!

25. saltedzest March 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Oh my, I cannot wait for what you have in store for that duck fat! And yes please do work around Mr. President…hahahaha! Best reply ever!

26. Nina March 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Chrissy!!!!! I MUST have momofuku!!!!!!!! Which cookbook do you recommend? P.S. I made PW’s peach-whiskey chicken and my boyfriend and i were like wild animals fighting over the last few pieces lolol. It was AMAZING!!! Thanks chica!

27. sophies7strangers March 2, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Hey Chrissy! This is a lovely picture :) I just wanted to drop by to say that I saw you & John while out in the East Village, and I wanted to run up to you and say “ohmagodddd I love your blogggggg” but I thought that John might get jealous so I restrained myself.

Hope you get to enjoy the fat for weeks to come…does it even go bad? …Nah.

28. Caroline Schutz March 2, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

You’re blog is addicting. I am a total foodie like you and try to make everything you make, but on a college budget, I have to substitute a lot. Anywho, you’re awesome and you should do a special post about your skin routine since it is amazing!

29. Caty March 3, 2012 at 8:27 am #

I totally became obsessed with Gwyneth after she was on The Chew this week. She made these chicken & dumplings which looked tdf! I must get her cookbook now, especially after your post :)

30. Chelsea Fisher March 5, 2012 at 2:09 am #

I want to cook with duck fat. And cook duck too. Yummmm. love your posts.

31. Leslie March 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Eataly also sells duck fat by the quart.

32. Candace March 6, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

Stumbled on this – looks amazing. http://www.fromaway.com/cooking/crispy-duck-confit-tacos-with-grapefruit-plum-salsa

1. Beauty and the Feast Blog: Beauty Tips, Make Up Reviews, Interviews with Beauty Gurus, Product Giveaways and Delicious Food - April 1, 2012

[...] event next door at the Townhouse Spa with Chrissy Teigen (ironically, Teigen wrote a whole post on Momofuku and duck fat shortly after), I realized proximity was the perfect excuse to grab some dessert there with my [...]