cake batter popcorn (!!!)

27 Jan

Don’t have much to say about this one, everybody. To be honest, posting the photos make me kind of nauseous. Not because it wasn’t completely and utterly one of the most delicious sweet snacks I have ever come across — it was. But holy shit, I ate too much. Really. I am not sure I can ever eat anymore again. Damn you, Kris! She planted this seed in my head and I immediately researched recipes. She is like a beautiful, sweets she-devil with these recipes!!

I made it the night before that baby shower, and snacked on it so much throughout the process that I found myself buying 10 white chocolate bars at the corner store (not even really made for melting/baking) and cake batter mix at midnight. Drunk, of course.

Can you taste the cake batter? You suuuuure can. I recommend NOT buying those fancy organic Whole Foods cake mixes for this one. The yellow cake mixes like Pillsbury has would be best. Funfetti, anyone? YUM.

I also still have red finger pads. I vaguely remember pouring the CRAZY HOT white chocolate / cake batter mix onto the popcorn and deciding it was a better idea to toss it around with my hands. The pain….pretty much excruciating. But I kept doing it like some sort of cake batter popcorn factory worker zombie.

Be warned: if you’re like me, you’ll have popcorn everywhere. On your shirt, in your bra, that mystery area between the stove and countertop where shit just falls, never to be seen again. But maybe you’re not like me and maybe you’ll make this sober.

Just a few photos, recipe at the end!! I bagged mine up into little baggies with ribbons. Made a great gift bag for departing baby shower guests!

Blue food coloring finger from making that stupid duck WITH THE BLUE BEAK why did I make the beak blue whyyyyyyyyy why why. PS that cake actually turned out to be delicious. And no, I didn’t even bring it to the shower. Dammit.

Oh! Also I didn’t use mini m & m’s like the recipe called for. I had them, I was just too drunk to remember I had them.

Yeah. I just got sick again. This will either become your addiction or you will be so completely popcorn hungover from it that you will never want it again. Either way, make it!!

24 Responses to “cake batter popcorn (!!!)”

1. Mackie January 27, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Yum! Perfect for a baby shower I’m planning :) Cake-batter anything is delicious. Speaking of obscure, sweet creations.. Have you tried Cereal Milk at Momofuku’s Milk Bar? You should.

2. Kacie January 27, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Do you think it would be too chocolatey if you used the m&ms? Or would the color bleed? I feel like I always have that problem when I put m&ms in stuff like this. I cannot wait to try this when I get home!!

Also – I finally made your chipotle marinade and I. am. addicted. I don’t even care for spicy food yet I am in loooove! I ate my chicken with some sauted veggies and an avocado — the avo balanced out the spice perfectly. Thank you so much Chrissy!

3. Natasha January 27, 2012 at 11:59 am #

OMG, woman! You tryin’ to kill us?! Anxiously anticipating my popcorn hangover! Damn you to hell Kris and Chris!

4. Betsy January 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

This sounds amazingly, sickeningly good. Hahahah also, there really is popcorn ALL over your floor in the last picture. I will avoid making this while drunk

5. Susannah January 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

This looks gaw-jus! I love love popcorn and am totally into flavouring it, savoury mainly eg. after popping spray oil to stick on herbs eg oregano or ‘de provence’ – yum!… buuut the only thing I like my popcorn big and puffy and have probs keeping it that way when adding a flavour post-pop. Yours look big and puffy!! Any tips to keeping it that way after adding the flavour especially as the mix is hot and I find it makes that fizzz sound and shrinks the popcorn so it’s less fluffy. How’d you do it Chrissy??

Btw I was impressed you went to Nandos here in London :-) I tweeted you to go ’cause I thought you might like it!

6. Mari Arana January 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

I want to make this for my kettle corn popcorn loving friends and family so I can give them a suger overload! I hate sugary stuff but I love making it for my sugary people. Yay! A definite must try.

7. Tory January 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Maybe this is a stupid question, but should I have not used baking chips? My chocolate melted but stayed thick so that I had to use my hands to mix everything up (ouch) and there still were large clumps of the white chocolate mixture. Oh well, still tasted yummy!

• chrissyteigen January 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

That’s what happened to me too! Help, bakers!

8. Mari January 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I have a stupid question…when the recipe calls for cake mix, is it prepared cake batter or just the powdered cake mix???

This looks so delish, I want to try it, now!

• Jesse January 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Use the powder, Mari.

This recipe *might* work better if you:

1) Melt the chocolate in a double boiler rather than the microwave. The gentle heat of a double boiler would ensure everything melts evenly. You can do a half-assed one by using a small pot with a bit of boiling water in it and put the chocolate in a metal bowl that fits over the top of the pot of water.

2) It also seems like it’d be way easier to pour the popcorn into the chocolate rather than pour the chocolate over the popcorn. You can even thrown in M&M’s, rice krispies, or whatever else you have lying around that would taste awesome in melted white chocolate.

I’m by no means a baking expert, but it’s worth a shot.

• jillybeaney January 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Also, if your white chocolate melts but hardens/thickens and can’t seem to melt anymore, add a tsp of Crisco/shortening and reheat. Will go back to melty goodness!

9. Ron January 27, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

yumm! I can’t wait to try this! If you want an awesome Carmelcorn recipe, let me know.

10. Lisa @ TexturedRoad January 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Ha ha! You’re hilarious! I love your blog for the writing. But the recipes are a nice bonus, too–icing on the cake.

11. Logan L January 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

Honestly, this recipe led me to one of the most dangerous food sites ever. Anything baking is my downfall! You’re lucky you don’t have a sweet tooth because its so hard to resist baking all of those delectable things!! Then again, maple bacon cupcakes are always a good choice. Thank you for blogging all these things!! You are absolutely amazing!

12. Tiffany January 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

I am really wondering how much this will make my stomach hurt. It looks so yummo!!!

13. natalie January 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

We made this last night at Bryce’s request and I STILL feel sick and bloated from over-eating. This stuff is seriously like crack…not that I would know. Wink wink.

14. Amy January 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

That popcorn is screaming my name! I wish that someone would make it for me… Only because I know what will happen to the left over cake mix and it isn’t going to be pretty.

I love reading your blog. You are too hilarious! And Congratulations!

15. Natalie Kaye February 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

This looks too fun! I can’t wait to try it!!

16. Elise Winsett February 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Dearest Chrissy, I am a college student who refuses to eat out unless it is a restaurant I am in love with, and I am still new to cooking for myself all the time. What spices do you suggest I must always have in my kitchen? I would appreciate any advice you had to give!

17. Jesse February 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

I read this recipe 8 days ago and have made it TWICE since then! In all fairness, I’m ‘testing’ different chocolate combinations before using it for my son’s birthday party this weekend. For some silly reason, no one in my family is complaining. First, this recipe COULD NOT be easier and second, IT IS SO FREAKING GOOD! Thanks again and I can’t wait to hear the oooh’s and aaah’s from the party goers this weekend. People will look at me even crazier than usual if I say, “I follow this crazy funny gorgeous model on twitter because I love John Legend’s music and started following him but then he retweeted some of her stuff and she’s right up my alley and anyway she listed the recipe on her blog which is all about delicious and usually unhealthy foods!” Soooo you may or may not get credit for this. It depends on how much explaining I want to do. I also made the baked eggs a couple of weeks ago and my husband and I almost got a divorce trying to figure out who was getting the last bite. Long story short eggs = good. Thank you for your twitter humor and awesome blog – it all makes me giggle… and gain weight. Also, congrats on your engagement. I think I got a little too excited about 2 people who I’ve never met getting engaged when I read the news… but whatevs. Ok, this is getting to a creepy length so I’ll stop. Thanks for being you and sharing it with us.

18. Davia Nichole Anderson April 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Omg! I just had this at a baby shower over the weekend. I had to slowly back up from the table or I would have sat there and ate it all. My pregnant girlfriend follows your blog. I should have known your influence was behind that yumminess!

1. Dang You, Chrissy Teigen! « MAD: Crazy. Beautiful. Life. - January 28, 2012

[...] Chrissy Teigen, for getting me excited about cooking again.  Thank you for making me drool over cake batter popcorn. Thank you for cooking drunk occasionally so I get a big laugh.  Thanks for introducing me to [...]

2. IDEA: Cake Batter Popcorn | Foodbeast - February 20, 2012

[...] blog-reading routine, one of my favorite adventurous foodies, model Christine Teigen, had tried her hand at a batch of Cake Batter Popcorn, a recipe she adopted from Kerry (Bakergirl: Confessions of a [...]