Ina’s Chicken Pot Pie…

23 Jan

Let me start by saying this post is 10% fail, as shown.

Remember the mini-pie maker I was bragging about on twitter? “Lalala you gotttta get one la la laaaa I’m gonna use it every day for the next month!” This is it.

Do I blame the pie maker? Not at all. I blame the dough, which, by referral, was a simple, refrigerated (and brought to room temperature) store-bought Pillsbury pie crust. Imagine my excitement when the light turned off, indicated it was ready, and seeing that it was half raw, half burnt. Ended up cooking crusts separately in it, no filling, and chopping it up to create some sort of deconstructed chicken pot pie. I’m fawn-cy!

This weekend I cooked for a baby shower on one level of a dear friends’s house, and a bunch of men watching football on another level. It was kind of a dream, actually — I love very specific cooking. I spent the entire day beforehand prepping everything as much as possible — cheez-it chicken tenders marinating in hot wing sauce, pot pie filling (slow cooked overnight), oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies, a cake shaped like a rubber ducky that actually more closely resembled the twitter bird (a clear indicator I tweet too much) and cake batter popcorn. You will get all these recipes (and more for the Super Bowl) this week!

First up, the pure, hearty deliciousness that is Ina’s chicken pot pie. I used this recipe, a no-brainer since it has 733 reviews, averaging it at 5 stars. Tons of flavor, chunky veggies, loaded with chicken. Crowwwwwd pleaser! Also, it pretty much makes itself. Okay it doesn’t at all but I just want you to make it, alright??

Obviously I didn’t do the crust part of her recipe, because I am a genius who totally knew what I was doing with my mini-pie/big-nightmare maker.

Another great option with this? No crust. You can blame your laziness on being low-carb! It’s perfect. I swear it’s good enough on it’s own…like chow-dah.

PTP’s (poorly taken pictures) comingggggggg……NOW.

……my secret. Store-bought rotisserie chicken, or “roto-chicks” as my friend Melissa says. Anytime a recipe calls for baked chicken, cut up, this is my go-to. I LOVE roasting my own chickens. Ew that made it sound like I kill them. Could never. If you told me I had to hunt/kill my own food, I’d be a vegetarian, no doubt. But I love roasting chickens. But I would cry at the thought of slicing up my beautiful, slow-roasted chicken just to toss in a pot of boiling chicken stock. If I baby that bitch with sticks of butter as I hum to it, calling it my sweet love child while halfway in the oven, it is going to be displayed proudly, not cut up into bits DAMMIT! PS I truly believe this made it better. I used 2 entire roto chicks (LOVE calling it it that now) and included dark meat as well. Duh. If I could design a chicken in a lab (like KFC) I would totally design it to be completely dark meat. Or ALL skin. is that possible? Just layers upon layers of skin?? Writing this down now.

…frozen peas and frozen pearl onions! I know. A bag of frozen mini onions?? Kinda wanted to scream at the thought of having to find frozen mini onions. I mean, Ina can get super specific sometimes. Like, “2 tablespoons of Aunt Patricia’s tomato paste, heated in a quadruple boiler with Newman’s Own salsa instead of water just trust me I know what I’m talking about” and I’m all “Jesus ok that is really specific and weird but fine, only because your recipes are delicious, INA.”

Anyhow, found a bag of frozen pearl onions in a jiffy. Who knew they were a such a hot grocery store item? Made me feel all stupid and shit.

Like giving birth. The pain of going to Whole Foods on a Saturday night (you know it’s hell when there are 2 or 3 carts left to take) made it all worth while, little pot pie filling. Welcome to the world. Can’t wait to feel the pain the first time you refer to me as a bitch. Teenagers.

Enjoy with, as everything, a glass of red wine.

Xx

41 Responses to “Ina’s Chicken Pot Pie…”

1. Sydney Ford (@sydneyadalen) January 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

never have wanted to make chicken pot pie in my life and now of course i can’t wait to try this recipe. love this blog!

2. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) January 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Ok I am dying with laughter as I know I was the one who said ur duck cake looked like the Twitter bird. Oh how I get u! Anyhowwwww,please recommend an everyday Pinot Noir!

3. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) January 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

Oh and simply adore ur blog, keep keeping it real! I am about to have a lot of free time on my hands and I am thinking of starting one too, just to share with friends. I am obsessed with the kitchen!

4. Elise January 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

made chicken pot pie earlier this week and threw in some sweet potatoes i had in the fridge, the boyfriend loved it!

5. thebitesizedbaker January 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Umm, cake batter popcorn?! I want. And I couldn’t help but creepily notice… Is that an… ENGAGEMENT RING on your wedding finger?!

6. Edith January 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

Love potpie but I’m dying for that oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookie recipe. I just about ate my arm when I saw the pics on twitter. Anyway you could help a girl out?

7. Pepper January 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I love epic kitchen fails.. You will remember it for so much longer.. And it looks like you had fun. The filling could be served as a “soup” with biscuits on the side.. Like a fancyass deconstructed pie..

8. Sarah January 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

You’re hilarious! I love reading about successes and failures in the kitchen….keeps it real. And reading this post definitely makes me want to try out chicken pot pie. I heart Ina. I’ll have to give this a whirl. King Arthur Flour also has a good recipe.

9. shellbell January 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Yes! I’ve made this a zillion times and it’s so versatile. I love throwing diced up ham mmmmmmnomnomnom so good.

• shellbell January 23, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Um….throwing it IN the dish. well, I guess it is also fun to throw it, in general. ha!

10. Lofton January 23, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Chrissy! You are HYSTERICAL! Whether or not you decide to go to culinary school is up to your heart but what you’ve got going here is such pure entertainment and seems to come very natural to you.
    Just keep doing what you do and be YOU.
    I don’t follow a lot of blogs because I am selfish with my time and mostly they’re all the same and quite boring. I don’t care about perfection in cooking. I care about passion, which you have plenty. Your posts are the best and so down to earth and relateable!
    Keep it up! XOXO from a big fan!

11. Stephanie January 23, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

I made a chicken pot pie tonight and I kid you not, said to myself “I wonder if Chrissy has ever done one for her blog?” Sometimes I like to use puff pastry. But I need to perfect my crust because I want to open a pie shop soon. Thanks for sharing :)

12. Miss_Classy January 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

Last weekend I was at a market in Little Tokyo (Los Angeles) and they were having this big showing that they weren’t being too specific about. Out of curiosity I follow the crowd with my uncle and grandma only to find a JUST slaughtered grown pig (cut symmetrically in half) on display. I guess the whole point was to serve people fresh(?) meat but it just made me feel so incredibly guilty and empathize more with vegetarians… It was horrible! :( ANYYYWAYS!!! I love chicken pot pie! One of my favorite foods so I’d love to try this recipe :) Thanks again Chrissy!

13. Alex January 24, 2012 at 12:03 am #

What are you trying to do? This stuff will kill you. Especially the roto chickens. This recipe with roto chickens has about 5 days worth of salt. Sorry to be a downer, but its not that hard to cook awesome food that’s tastes great. The problem is bad cooks make great tasting stuff by using tons of butter and salt. BTW Your pie maker is totally to blame. Cooking in any oven is all about temperature control and pan shape. That pie maker should be retired.
    I would encourage you to start by making the perfect chicken. From there you can make really healthy awesome stuff without butter. Simple recipe. Get chicken. Clean chicken by rinsing and removing gizzards. In a small dish combine teaspoon sage, thyme, salt, bit of pepper, add teaspoon crushed garlic if you like, cover with olive oil to make paste. P ut tablespoon of fl our in cooking in ccooking bag. Add chicken to b

• Alex January 24, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Sorry. This is really hard to write from my phone. Add chicken to cooking bag. Cover with the herb paste. Put in oven at 350 for 75 minutes. Check with thermo. It should be done and taste great. If you want browner skin cut bag at 60 minutes to expose top. Awesome chicken. Easy peasy.. make some rice to go with and steam some veggies. Try it. I bet you will love it.

• chrissyteigen January 24, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I think I clearly stated I can make chicken. It was an issue of time but thanks for the concern.

If I cared about salt I probably wouldn’t be making anything I do and you wouldn’t have a website to be a condescending know-it-all on.

• Alex January 24, 2012 at 10:33 am #

I’m sorry if I came across as condescending. I was just trying to give you a way to make a great chicken quickly.

14. bin31 January 24, 2012 at 2:14 am #

OMG im exhausted just reading all that you cooked!!! Rather than focusing on what didnt come out “perfect”, i hope your girfriend/friends appreciated all the effort you made into trying to make their baby shower/football party freakin fantastic. i would of been like “ok whow’s vegan< whos not. ok im orderin trays from carmine's"

cant wait to see how you made the duck cake :)

15. amandakatarina January 24, 2012 at 4:21 am #

it’s your story-telling that just (even in my drunken state) is just fuckin amazing. ps. maybe calzone-ing that filling in pizza crust would work nicely too…

16. Jenny January 24, 2012 at 5:52 am #

That chicken pot pie looks like heaven; creamy, luscious, almost spilling over. Will try the recipe myself, however, I take issue with converting recipes (I’m from Oz). Lazy. An idiot. Obviously.
    By the way, your pictures seem to be improving all the time.

On another point, I have much respect for those who take it upon themselves to kill the animals before they eat it. Those same people tend to have much more respect for the life that was given to them and so are ultimately more appreciative and educated. No point denying the meat you’re eating was once living. A fact of life and, in my opinion, our responsibility to be well informed and aware each time we eat it (and no, I am not vegetarian). I actually think people who can’t handle the very idea of eating a living animal SHOULD be vegetarian. I find it natural.

17. Jill January 24, 2012 at 8:45 am #

This is hilarious, even if I’m now imagining my three year old daughter calling me a bitch… Side note- thanks for inspiring this non-cook to try some new recipes!!

18. Meredith January 24, 2012 at 8:53 am #

I think it was meant for me to read this today – I messed up at the grocery store and got a bag of pearl onions (which I did not need) so they’ve been sitting in my freezer waiting to be put in some sort of dish and now I know what I’m going to do … Thanks for posting!

I made the cheesy guacamole recipe a couple of weeks ago for my boyfriend – it was a hit! I had a heavy hand with the cayenne but it still turned out great…I can’t wait to make it again

19. bigbutter January 24, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Please don’t hate me buttttt…ummm…what’s your nail polish color? Oh and…the food looks pretty good too.

20. Casey January 24, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Thanks for showing your pie crust failure!! I always think I’m such a hot shot in the kitchen, then I get everyone jacked up on how delicious and out of this world a dinner will be and then — it explodes in my face. Almost inedible. Nothing like the yummy looking filling you did! But it is good to know the filling can stand on its own!

21. Jesse January 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

That’s definitely a “Jeffrey” recipe. You know none of Ina’s token gays would be caught dead eating a pot pie.

22. natashbobash January 24, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

umm…delishhhhhh first of all. or delush. second of all, wanted to comment on that whole muslim fiasco on twitter. as a muslim (who doesnt touch pork, i knowwww i knowww i’m missing out im sure), i was super embarrassed by that girl, it was pretty fucking obvious that it was a joke.

don’t read between the lines where there are no lines, douches.

btw apparently its national peanut butter day(and terrorists love them some sticky peanut butter) sooo: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/goober-pie

• chrissyteigen January 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

thank you :) it was terrible because I have said it regarding so many things, that the fact that this time I had said it about something actually pork was bad….plenty of cultures don’t eat pork though, and I’m not the kind of person to associate any one group with terrorism! I’d be a terrible person if I did that — some people just look for the worse in everything. Not everyone is malicious or has a bad heart but people are on edge these days. Thank you :) GOOBER PIE!

23. thegirlwhodoesyoga January 25, 2012 at 8:26 am #

“Roto-chicks” are my single girl savior. I can buy one and it can last me a whole week. I make salads, sandwiches, and casseroles with it for variety. I like how practical you are when it comes to cooking. I can’t say it enough…love this blog!

24. Amanda January 25, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I just told the husband we’re having roto-chick for dinner. His response was, “Sounds kinky. Count me in!” ;)

25. Natasha January 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Your photos are looking quite professional! Beautiful!

• chrissyteigen January 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

well that is kind! thank you! i def notice a difference when I am sober. haha

26. elliepie January 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Chrissy…
    I made this last night except I made mine with a white cheddar cheese crust. Holy DELIGHT!!! AMAZE. You need to try it with this crust. Really anything is good with this crust. I’m beyond obsessed. Me and this crust is kind of like you and bacon.

27. jzylka January 31, 2012 at 9:40 am #

I feel the same way about roasted chicken. Made a couple last week and cannot imagine shredding them into oblivion. How would people know my expertise? How would they see my perfectly brown and crispy chicken skin? Shameful.

28. Candice January 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

made this today for our MLK/Inauguration party today, and it. was. a. hit. Thank you for putting this on my radar…one year ago.

29. Home Page October 27, 2013 at 8:44 am #

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just
    sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still
    new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips for beginner blog writers?

I’d really appreciate it.