weekend recipe!

20 Jan

I love posting Friday recipes. Understandably, during the week, you all are a little exhausted all week from working, going to school, taking care of kids, etc. But I know that when I post on a Friday, I get to enjoy an entire week of getting the most delicious photos ever from you on twitter! It’s one of my favorite things in the world and I look at every food photo you guys send. Most dishes look infinitely better than mine.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have told you this, as I’m probably gonna get a tweet that says, “Thanks, Chrissy! So yummy!” and it’s going to be a penis or butthole. Don’t do me like that, friends!!

So. Mexican Lasagna. EASY, and SOOOOOOO GOOD. Love the noodle replacement, tortillas. They have super low-carb tortillas, too. Did you know that? I didn’t. Did I use them? No!!! Low carb or fakey versions of things that are supposed to be super carby scare me. I once spent an entire afternoon strategically ordering different kinds of “Miracle Noodles”. Angel hair, fettucini, ramen….I paid for same-day delivery, knowing I wouldn’t even be home to cook — I was that excited.

Now, if you don’t know about these suckers, the “Miracle Noodle” is a shirataki noodle, and shirataki is made from the ummmmm, devil’s tongue yam. Thank youuuuuu, wiki. Anyhoo, the noodles brag about being carb-free, gluten-free, and soy-free. What they fail to tell you is that I also found them to be appealing-to-the-eye-free as well.

Each serving comes in a little plastic bag, FILLED WITH NOODLES IN A SEMI-CLOUDY GEL. You are supposedddddd to just rinse off and toss em in with whatever else is already heated and cooked, but the instructions should also add how disturbing this process is. Just looking at it riled my gag reflex. This is coming from someone who will literally eat street meat from any dirty cart in the world. I’ve had ant salad. Bone marrow (delicious). This gel? Immediately. wanted. to vomit. This is as far as they got with me before I finally needed the drawer space (FOR MY DOG LEASHES, AND DOG COLLARS, AND DOG TREATS, AND OTHER THINGS THAT MAKE ME AN AWESOME DOG OWNER, CHLOE) and dumped every miracle noodle package down the trash chute.

I’ve heard from MANY people that once you get past the gel (I admire anyone that could get past the gel), that it is actually a really awesome noodle / pasta substitute. Like tofu, it pretty much takes on the flavor of anything it is mixed with. Am I endorsing miracle noodles? No. I have no idea what they taste like. But I doooo endorse a low-carb lifestyle, especially when you are like me and pretty, um, inactive. And “low” doesn’t mean “no”! I just think about the choices more, and it’s the only thing I can actually make a lifestyle out of to keep off that “midsection thickness”. Short torso, can’t afford it!

I also ordered about 6 loaves of low-carb bread from Julian’s Bakery online, only to see Whole Foods has it. Who on earth buys six bags at a time? My idea was to try them all and find which one I liked most. But I arrived home 2 days after the box did, and let’s just say it looked like some sort of bonsai tree. Something about this bread makes it off itself pretty quickly. I would too, carb-less, ironic bread. I would too. No longer will you feel pain. My point? If I want bread or pasta, I’m not a bad person, and it isn’t wrong to want it. Having to rinse off gelatin or eat bread a day within I get it because it’s a huge baby and overly sensitive makes me feel like it’s a crime to want carbs. NO! I will not have it. I will eat in moderation.

Annnnyhow, I hate talking about dieting. I just get a lot of people asking, “do you even EAT what you make??” and the answer is yes! If I can’t avoid the carbs in it, I just eat less of it. But if it’s all protein and veggies, I glop it with bacon or chipotle or eggs or whatever else and eat the shit out of it, as much as I want. Would a nutritionist favor this? Probably not. But it works for me and I feel good…although my little heart and arteries might be working overtime sometime around the year 2040.

BACK TO THE MEXICAN LASAGNA! Full disclosure, I was pretty drunk making all of this. The photos suck, and I don’t recall any changes I made, aside from just adding way more spices and herbs to the meat. The same spices it called for, just more of it. Heavy hands, people! Heavy hands! If your meat isn’t crazy flavorful while it’s cooking, it’s not gonna get any better in the lasagna as it actually bakes. Bland meat, bland lasagna. Unless you let it sit overnight or something…that’s when I notice that flavors really pop. Like those scalloped potatoes, too. Mmmmm.

Oh my god Chrissy just post the effing pictures.

Ha! I was going off about the stupid low-carb tortillas and meanwhile forgot that there is literally an assload of rice and beans in this recipe. Barely any meat in comparison. Told you I was drunk. So yeah. Definitely give up on the low-carb tortilla option.

I’d post more but the other photos are somehow even worse than this. Paired with my favorite, chipotle chicken (make sure to also click the link to see how to bake the chicken, this is just the marinade) and a mexican caesar salad. What makes it mexican? I dunno. The corn and bell peppers and the store bought chipotle ranch dressing? And the cotija cheese? If you believe it, your guests will too.

Pioneer Woman (duh) mexican lasagna recipe HERE!

Xx! Enjoy your weekend!

33 Responses to “weekend recipe!”

1. Jessica (@JessMatushek) January 20, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Good to know you look at all of them even if you don’t have time to respond! Doesn’t make me feel like SUCH a stalker/weirdo!

2. thedancingrunner January 20, 2012 at 11:51 am #

You are making my tummy growl. Is it lunchtime, isn’t it?

Happy Friday Chrissy!

3. naomi January 20, 2012 at 11:52 am #

don’t hate! shirataki is yummy — but probably not in lasagna… more like a rice noodle or ramen substitute or some other asian dish. we eat it in sukiyaki where the beef, leeks and other food has strong flavors. combine that with the sugar & soy sauce marinade and the shirataki becomes a nice flavorful but refreshing slurpy bite. though how it is low or no carb is beyond me, since it’s made out of konyaku, which is a type of potato… hmm…

4. Sam Knox January 20, 2012 at 11:58 am #

“…although my little heart and arteries might be working overtime sometime around the year 2040.”

Nah. LCHF improves risk factors for heart disease (cholesterol ratios, triglycerides, etc.).

5. Em January 20, 2012 at 11:58 am #

This looks amazing. Though I haven’t actually made anything yet, this blog makes me WANT to make something…which is the first step, right?

ps: stupid, stupid chloe…

6. Dana January 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Oh.My.God, this post was HILARIOUS! And that Julian’s bread?! I literally spit it out, it was so gross. But this Mexican lasagna, I am all over it…And I actually think the kids will eat it too! (and I like the pics… ;)

7. Sar January 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

WE FINALLY GET TO SEE YOUR RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i guess the lasagna looks good too.

8. Megan January 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

While that Mexican Lasagna looks AMAZING and I will ABSOLUTELY be making it (yes, all caps is necessary), the best part of the recipe is when Pastor Ryan says, “Go home, corn. Go home.”

9. Casey January 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

YUMMMM. “I was pretty drunk making all of this.” <—And THIS is why I don't think you need to worry about not finding a place in the "culinary" world. Hilarious! Also, pretty ring :)

• Jesse January 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I was seriously about the post the EXACT same thing.

That is why we love your blog, Chrissy. You’re always completely candid about your expectations and blood alcohol level while making your food.

(hint hint, SANDRA LEE)

10. actorsdiet January 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

a very accurate description of shiritaki noodles! i have used rice paper wrappers in my lasagna before:

11. Leigh-Leigh January 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Yay! – you guys are using the blue Le Creuset thing! :)

12. Erin C January 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Loved “eat the shit out if it”:)
    Anywho, have you tried spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute?? Really good if it’s done well!
    Love you. Love the blog.

13. uttrod January 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

I want there to be a concept lasagna restaurant. General tso laz. Cheeseburger laz, mexican laz, ice cream laz, breakfast laz. You get the idea. I would also like it to be called Laz Daddy.

//plucks eye lash and swallows it

14. chris January 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Just wanted to tell you I wish I really knew you and we were friends! I think you must be an awesome, fun friend to hang around with! Love your commentary, funny and witty and very relatable (is that a word?) As they say, you are a girl after my own heart! Keep up the good work!

15. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) January 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

seeing this makes me ask, have you ever had jamaican rice and peas/beans…let me know if you like it and will send you a great recipe.

16. Angela January 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

I cannot believe I am only NOW discovering your blog! You are hilarious and adorable and it is so much fun reading your posts! Never stop blogging, please :D

17. Meghan January 20, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

do you think this would be as good with chicken? i want to make it tonight but i am out of ground beef.

18. Lis de Stefani January 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

CHOLULA!!!!!

19. Christina January 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

Yum! I just want to be your sous chef. Must starting training my liver. ;) P.s. I love your “rambling” posts.

20. Heddy J January 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

this is the weekend i make that chipotle marinade

21. Penelope Davis January 20, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

trying this soon! i have an awesome recipe for you too though, barbecue shrimp! Alright melt down 8 sticks of margarine (not butter, it burns, which i’m sure you know) put in 2 tablespoons of salt, and 7 tablespoons of pepper. add 3 pounds of raw shrimp and make sure they get a good covering. put it in the oven as high as your oven will go (usually 550) and cook it at 3-5 minute intervals, between intervals shake the pan to recoat the shrimp. when you think they are done, take them out and serve! easiest recipe ever, and it comes straight from a new orleans restaurant. spicy, messy, and a finger food. everyone will wonder what’s in the sauce and only you know its just salt and pepper. also heat up some french bread to dip in the spicy margarine.

p.s. i made your stuffed peppers once and i cut open my finger shortly after your thumb accident. i fainted, and had to get my skin glued back together. it was hilarious!!

22. Jazzle Fazzle January 21, 2012 at 3:30 am #

You just rocked my world. I’ve been jonesing for the Mexican Lasagna that Whole Foods has at the hot bar. But now, I can make my owwwwnnn suckas!!! Watch out WF!!

23. Kerri Fourez January 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Looks delish and I seriously want to be bff with the pioneer woman thanks to you. Love the pics also buuuuutttttt I wish we could get a better view of your engagement ring! <3

24. Erin January 21, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

I wish I had paid closer attention to your casserole dish in the picture before I made this–I just used a standard size and ran out of room for all the layers! I had to modify it a bit because of that, but it’s cooking in my oven as I type this and smells awesome. Next time I’ll be prepared!

25. Anna January 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

So after staring at your gorgeous food pictures, I decided to break out the wedding Le Creuset and try this recipe for dinner tonight. YUM! Along side your cheesy guacamole and many Coronas, it was a Mexican holiday in cold ass Minneapolis tonight. Thank you!

26. Naki January 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

You are a riot! I nearly spit up my food reading this. Try low carb Ezekiel bread (available a Trader Joe’s–where they give you fair warning to store in the refrigerator) Love your posts!

27. Emily January 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Can’t stop laughing at the comment to Chloe. Love it!

28. Gina January 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

So delishous! But why didn’t you tell me it would weigh so much?? I only made two-thirds of the recipe and it took two grown men to remove it from the oven. There’s enough left over to feed the neighborhood. Mexican lasagna fiesta at my place!

1. IT HURTS! « So Delushious ! - May 5, 2012

[...] Mexican Lasagna (delicious, but worst photos ever posted here, and that is saying a lot) [...]