fishing!

21 Dec

Since we wake up at 3AM anyhow, why not sign up for some early morning deep sea fishing? The first 3 hours went something like this…

Not included: me vomiting from slowly rocking back and forth, at a standstill in the middle of the indian ocean.

Then we threw out the idea of the fancy schmancy rig setup and used some good ol’ fashion poles. Which brought back vivid memories of the countless dollars my family spent at Target or Earnst getting me cheap shit, child-size, minnie mouse, plastic fishing poles as a young monster. They broke with EVERY. SINGLE. USE. But we bought another every time and I was endlessly happy.

Anyhow, things really started working out for us, once the clock started ticking down on our 4-hour boat maximum…

Okay. So there’s a chair that kinda reminded me of my gyno, but besides that, it was the old fashioned way.

Bam! First fish. A….I don’t know. They told us at the time but we were too excited to care. Definitely not something we’ve ever heard of. Trevally, I believe.

Then my turn. Not sure what emotion was flowing through my face here. I think it was 40% “whoa, a fish”, 10% “this fish is pretty”, and 50% “I feel terrible we are killing this fish right before my very eyes just because he was dumb enough to try and eat”.

“Let’s throw him back!”, I stupidly said as this fish had a thick hook going through his little fish midsection. To which this guy responded, “How about I just cut his jaw off”…by just cutting it off.

Goodbye, my sweet. If mom is right, I am gonna be reborn as this thing for killing it.

RIP. Will honor your memory by enjoying you for breakfast tomorrow. If it helps, I will feel a little bad about it.

14 Responses to “fishing!”

1. Matt December 21, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Love the frowny face when he cuts off the jaw. Bye bye, jaw jaw :(

2. mai December 21, 2011 at 8:22 am #

I’m Thai ..so totally get it when you said your mom told you about the reborn thing. That fish have no idea he taste so good :)

3. OzMom December 21, 2011 at 8:36 am #

Oh, how this brings back memories of my last fishing trip…with minor differences: I didn’t look as good in my bikini and my trip was on a budget boat (sans gyno chair) off the coast in Texas. Someone said “Eat some chips–that will make you feel better”. Sucka. I unloaded those half digested chips off the side of the boat while my boyfriend stood by reminding me not to let my new sunglasses fall off my face. Love those sunglasses!

4. Jeanna December 21, 2011 at 9:06 am #

I’m over here cracking up!!! Love the gyno chair love fish faces!! Enjoy!!

5. thedancingrunner December 21, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Looks like you guys had a lovely time! I wouldn’t feel bad about eating that fish not one bit!! :)

6. Betty December 21, 2011 at 10:12 am #

Better to eat the fish than throw it back in the ocean DEAD!

7. Ron December 21, 2011 at 10:18 am #

If it makes you feel any better, I always throw mine back.

8. Dominick S (@dsantosla) December 21, 2011 at 11:42 am #

You usually make me chuckle but this entire sequence had me cracking up, especially the “gyno chair” and the strange emotion of your face pre-jaw cutting. Looks like you guys are enjoying your vacation! Happy Holidays to you and John and of course the parents!

9. Natalie December 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

chrissy puhlease help me decide on side dishes to make for christmas dinner! i was planning on some inspiration from you and your meal but guess what? its december 21st (maybe december 22nd in china time??) and I haven’t gotten any…. *insert sad faces here* I’ve been crying all day and just now mustered up enough courage to leave you a comment…. OK taking it a little far, but if you have free time, please blog about your dream christmas dinner and I can get some ideas from that!

10. Natalie December 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

by the way. your expressions….. are priceless.

11. middlefennell December 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

You have the best thighs ever!!!

12. Francesca December 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

semi-unrelated but, is that john legend or just a look-a-like?

13. Mark December 22, 2011 at 2:59 am #

God a cook and you fish how lucky is Mr Legend!! Normally if you let crew know in advance they will land fish in a way that gives you the option. Have a lovely hols

14. Caroline December 22, 2011 at 4:58 am #

I love these pictures and you look so good in bikini!
    Where’s the grey vest from? Have been looking for something similar forever!