Oh oh oh. Scalloped Potatoes!

16 Nov

Will try and refrain from talking about the….incident….that happened halfway through this. Just note the change from “no hospital bracelet” to “hospital bracelet” .

Both my mom and sister sent me their recipes for this. I made my mom’s, just because I know how to hand adjust the proportions to what I personally like, but my sister did a better job of writing it all out. Plus she uses a stick more of butter. Winner!

And I know you all are gonna say, “what if I add cheese?” — to which I say, SURE. Add cheese. You know me. I would prefer if everything in the world was wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with cheese. But this is one of my most favorite dishes in the world (see “interesting day” post) and I really, REALLY would urge you to bake it this way first, then taste and add cheese at the end if you just must have cheese. The fact that this can be so satisfying and delicious to me without having cheese should tell you something…it’s awesome.

Here is what my sister wrote, with a couple of my little changes from my mom’s recipe:

Scalloped Potatoes (with bacon and ham)

5 large potatoes
1 lb pack Thick cut bacon
1/2 lb Ham steak
1/2 c Flour
2 sticks Butter
1 lg Onion
1 pint Half and half
Milk

Salt/Pepper/Lawry’s/Garlic powder

Peel and slice potatoes, rinse and drain and layer about 1/4 of potatoes in a large casserole dish. Cube the ham into 1/2 inch cubes and sprinkle on top of potato layer. Repeat alternating potatoes and ham. Dot pieces of one stick butter on top of butter. On top, lay 4/5 slices of bacon.

For the sauce/roux:

Fry 5 slices of bacon in a sauté pan in a touch of hot oil. Remove cooked bacon and add diced onion, sautéing until lightly brown. Transfer bacon grease to a large saucepan. Add remaining stick of butter and sautéed diced onion. Add half of the flour, stirring into a thick paste.  Add half of the half and half and whisk out all the lumps. Add rest of flour, sprinkling lightly to avoid lumps and add rest of half and half. Allow sauce to thicken, stirring constantly. Should be the consistency of really thick gravy. Add milk and stir constantly; enough milk to lighten sauce a bit, approx 4 c. Add salt and pepper to taste. I usually end up adding many dashes of lawry’s, one small dash of galic powder, and salt and pepper in the end to this gravy. If the gravy you pour over your unbaked scalloped potatoes isn’t flavorful, your entire dish won’t be. So make sure to keep tasting this gravy at every “dash” of something. Should taste like oniony, garlicy, salty, bacony deliciousness without being completely salty overwhelming.

Pour over potatoes and bake covered at 350 degrees for about 90 min, then uncover and broil the top for 5 minutes or so, til brown.

adding bacon grease to the stick of butter. oh baby. (sautéed the onions in bacon grease after this, forgot. Blame the hennessy in the background)

adding flour to the oil / butter mixture

terribly blurry and disgusting photo of the finished gravy. Once again, blame the hennessy.

oh my how did that get in here?

lalala…back to work. do do doooo.

oh did I mention I also made my chipotle chicken with my severed thumb? because I did.

it was good. the key is to get your guests so drunk that they don’t even mind that there may or may not be blood in it.

poke-test for softness! that’s what she said.

mmm. wish I had my camera but this’ll do for now.

Remember to try and get some thickly sliced ham at the deli counter and cube it yourself. A lot more flavorful to get good ham. And by flavorful I just mean salty. Nomnomnom.

27 Responses to “Oh oh oh. Scalloped Potatoes!”

1. Monica R. November 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

i can feel the carbs go straight to my @$$, oh my i can NOT wait!!
    looks like Heaven on a plate! Do you think dicing the bacon into bits and sprinkling on top (raw) then baking would make a difference, or just stick to the dang recipe?? I swear I must make things more difficult! lol

2. Elise November 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

No cheese? Looks so good though I will definitely have to give it a try!

3. Anna November 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm #

these look incredibly delish. you’re adorable. loved this post. xo

4. Chrissie November 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

This looks awesome..can’t wait to try it. You crack me up-please keep up the posts!! I’ve told my husband multiple times that while I used to hope for a spotting of your boyfriend in the east village, I now just hope to see you! Sorry John!

5. Gunnar November 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

That looks incredible, and will definately do the scalloped potatoes. That photo you put in there about the chipolte chicken really has my interest. Do you have the Chipolte chicken recipe available, that is fantastic.

You need to have your own cooking show on TV, that would be fun and well watched.

Love you on the DP show as a Danette, please return.

6. David November 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm #

i’m glad that you do not include calorie counts with your dishes.

7. Shoe Closzet November 16, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

I’m gonna try the potatoes! Your pics always make me hungry…they look so yummy!

8. Annalisa Schmad November 17, 2011 at 5:15 am #

You are so funny!! Seriously … I can’t read your blog at work. I fall off of my chair laughing and spit coffee all over my monitor. I am a vegetarian (I’m sorry! :-)) but seeing some of your gorgeous recipes make me reconsider – just for one foray into the bacon laced wicked dreams of these potatoes for example! AND you’re super cute! You make me smile, you being a supermodel and dream woman and then not even giving a crap about carbs… just eat what you love and live your life to its fullest. You inspire me…I will stop now lest I sound like a stalker (I live in Europe so don’t worry HAHA). Thanks!!!

9. amy November 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

This looks like a cardiac arrest food coma in a dish. I can’t wait to make this for Thanksgiving. (First and only dish I’ve ever made for Thanksgiving) I just purchased a mandolin. For some reason everyone thought I was talking about a little guitar. I obviously don’t cook often. I plan on using cheese in mine. Any suggestions? Cheddar? Velveeta? (or is Velveeta like a gormet no no?)

Love the blog. Love the banter on twitter.

10. kimmy November 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

just when i think im going to die of a heart attack from the potatoes i see youve snuck in a photo of the chipotle chicken…you sneaky son of a bitch. just made these for my bf – he is currently in a coma on the couch. thanks for making me become a better cook!!

11. Lydia November 17, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

I have been obsessed with everything potatoes lately and I saw a recipe that made me think of you’ mashed potatoes with cream corn!!!!!

12. Linn November 18, 2011 at 4:45 am #

Chrissy you ROCK!!!

13. Cryssie November 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Making these!!! Thinking of layering with fried bacon instead of ham. well, because im addicted to bacon! OH, also peeped the Hennessy & Coke on the counter hehehe. Was Chrissy a lil drunky and thats why she cut herself? If so, Im so proud!!

I adore you hot stuff!! Keep good shit like this coming.

14. Barbi Slick November 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

I LOOOOVE the way you write!!! Hilarious & cute!!! John is a lucky man (and I’m sure he knows it!)
    sending hugs!
    xo
    Barbi Slick

15. Matt November 22, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Your food always looks and taste phenomenal. Although, my favorite part of this post is the visible hospital bracelet when you are checking for “softness” haha. You’re a trooper! Thanks for the great recipe.

16. amandakatarina November 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

I totally tried out this recipe last night, I added some chunks of sharp cheddar in between the layers of potatoes. It worked out really well, kind of like little gooey pockets of cheese! Yummy melted goodness! Perfect for cold weather!

17. wishfulsinful November 25, 2011 at 1:25 am #

Made these for tday, and although they didnt look quite as pretty as yours, they were a TOTAL hit…Thank Momma Teigen for this fantastic recipe, PLEASE!!! Woulda sent twitter photos but my phone camera sucks. Also, I chopped the hamsteak the night before, seasoned w/ Lawry’s and pineapple juice and left soaking overnight; it gave it a nice sweetness!!

• chrissyteigen December 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

YUM!! ham soaked in pineapple juice is an amazing idea. will try next time!

18. Beatriz December 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

I tried this recipe out last night as a trial run for Xmas this weekend and although it tasted delushious!!! I was confused about the amount of milk to add. You say 4c but even with 2c of milk it seemed a little runny. Maybe I didn’t cook the roux long enough?? Please HELP so I can show everyone how badass I am with my foncy scalloped potatoes! Totally nicked by big thumb with the mandolin – that’s not part of the recipe, right?!

• chrissyteigen December 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

i add around 3 cups but that’s because i like a thick sauce. 4 cups of milk makes it saucy, not as thick but still delicious because that milk / onion mix (with the help of the flour or even a little bit of cornstarch if you need) thickens up REALLY quickly when you remove the pot from the heat and let it sit.

19. Pam December 25, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

I made this for Christmas dinner but got a little confused. Are the 5 pieces of bacon I sauteed and then removed the same pieces of bacon I put on top? The pic looks like raw bacon so I wasn’t sure. Or was I supposed to dice up that bacon and put it with the onions? Also,my husband came in and tasted it and then added some more spice. (I’m the one that massacred the stuffed peppers by adding too much salt so now I am paranoid and had him taste it)

I thought he was heavy handed with the spices and it was a bit salty. I added more half and half to try and fix that. Is that what I should I have done? Is there a better way to fixit?
    It’s in the oven now. Will let you know how I did. ( I did great with the wrapped figs and both the bacon wrapped and boursin chicken recipes, so I am optimistic!) Thanks Chrissy!
    P.S – how did John do with the second go round of deep fried turkey???

20. Nikki D March 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

I made this last weekend with some friends and I bought a mandolin because of you! Just as I warned one of my co-chefs to be careful with the mandolin because it’s sharp, he cut off the tip of his finger! Instead of stitches though, we just made him a huge chef hat shaped bandage and kept cooking.

Also, I added fresh garlic and some heaping tablespoons of sambal to mine – I like the spice :) Thank you, it’s an awesome recipe!

21. Erin December 9, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

this looks amazing!! my husband requested scalloped potatoes for xmas dinner, I can’t wait to try them. have you ever assembled the dish ahead of time and cooked it the next day? i have a ridiculously huge menu planned (probably way too much food, but leftovers are never a bad thing) and am looking to save a little time. thanks!! can’t wait to stalk your site to find some more recipe ideas!

22. scalloped hasselback potatoes February 15, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

At this time it appears like Expression Engine
    is the preferred blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

1. IT HURTS! « So Delushious ! - May 5, 2012

[...] Scalloped Potatoes (dammit carbs I love you) [...]

2. Thanksgiving: Brighton style | Feeding Anna and Amy - November 25, 2012

[...] had: Scalloped Potatoes, Sweet Potato Casserole (that was unbelievably sweet), Southern Fried Corn, a Green Bean [...]