easy, cheesy guacamole!

13 Nov

Pretty proud of myself for that little rhyme. It’s the little things.

First off, sorry for the crappy photos. Didn’t bring the camera to los angeles so looks like we have to settle for the ol’ iPhone. Not to mention the fact that my phone lens is constantly coated in a thick layer of bacon grease which I’m pretty sure has just become a lasting part of my home now.

I don’t know why, but I never really think to make guacamole. And you’d think that with all the football Sundays we have, it would be a staple. But no. I just always am kind of “meh” with it. The one you get in the little tub at whole foods is a little too plain and clean tasting — who else in the world use the word ‘clean’ as a negative but me. And those ones that you have made table side at mediocre mexican restaurants is always just…blah. But when I was presented with the challenge to make John’s trainer, Malcolm, fall in love with one of my own personal loves, the avocado,  I was ready for it — with this very recipe.

Malcolm HATES avocado. He gags at the very sight of it. So what better way to get someone to fall in love with something than to cover it in melt-in-your-mouth Vermont cheddar cheese? If you love guacamole with a kick of heat and some garlicy tang and CHEEEEEESE, you will love this. Alton Brown basically has my favorite guacamole, this is definitely inspired by that, but I add a little more garlic and take away some tomato and we really think we’ve adapted this recipe perfectly to our tastes, so hopefully you’ll love it too :)

• 3 ripe avocados, not too soft, halved and peeled
  • 1 diced tomato (or more, if you love tomatoes. who cares. it’s your guac!)
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • dash of garlic powder (not mandatory)
  • 1 cup (or more if you are smart) of grated cheddar cheese

1. Halve your avocados and scoop out of the skin in whole chunks. Put into a large bowl and cover with the juice of an entire lime. This is both for flavor and to stop it from browning. This browns quickly! It’s like it’s some sort of guacamole defense mechanism to stop you from eating it. We’ll show them.

Some people drain out the remaining lime juice, but I’ve found that there isn’t much that isn’t absorbed to even care about.

Mash the avocado with a potato masher (or fork) but make sure to not beat it to a pulp. Try to keep it creamy and chunky all at the same time!

Add the salt, cumin, pepper, dasssssh of garlic powder and cayenne and fold in with a fork.

Next, gently fold in the tomatoes, cilantro, onions and garlic.

Tomato tip: I like to thickly slice the tomatoes and dry them off with a paper towel before dicing into cubes. I feel like it helps because I get to keep some of that green color rather than turning the guac into a murky, reddish brown mess.

CHEESE TIME! Fold it alllll in. And I know it’s tempting to overdo it and add a ton, but you don’t want it tooooo chunky. Add small handfuls (hehe) at a time and keep tasting!

Mix it all up and adjust to taste! I usually add more salt at the end because I’m a disgusting salt crackhead.

Enjoy! xx

26 Responses to “easy, cheesy guacamole!”

1. Chels November 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Lawd have mercy! Cheese & guac…2 of my faves. And together?!! Uh yes please!

2. Lucy November 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Mmmmm, I work in a mexican restaurent and thought the guacamole was next hype but add cheese into the mix, oh.baby.

3. Candice November 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

you complete me.

4. Steph November 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

People who don’t like avocado are NOT HUMAN. Thanks Chrissy, I’ll make this the next time I have to sit through a football game(s) with my boyfriend.

5. shellbell November 13, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

Very interesting. I’ve never put cheese in my guac. Must try! I am obsessed with Rick Bayless’ guac recipe. Roast a poblano pepper with some (lots) garlic cloves. skin the pepper and mash everything in a mortar/pestle. Then proceed with whatever else you want. It is ridiculous. and spicy.

thanks love!

6. Christina November 13, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

I hate onions, especially raw. Do you think it would be awful to add some onion powder rather than actual onion?

7. Jennifer November 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

@ Christina, maybe you could grate the onion so you still have onion flavor without biting into a chunk of onion.

• xoxome11 November 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

or try it without the onion and see what you think with all of the other flavors. My husband hates raw onion and I often just leave it out and add more of other things — maybe some extra cilantro…or try just a little bit of the white parts of green onion. (Maybe not for this, but my other fave onion substitute is shallot — part of the onion family, but much milder)

8. Linn November 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

Thanks Chrissy!

Have to say, I went off avos for a while because they used to stock only the sweet milky ones and those make me gag… Now that I got to understand the advocado, I know to buy the Hash. Creamy and nutty :). It is a hit and a miss sometimes… So any tips on how to know that its gonna be creamy and nutty instead of sweet and milky is most welcome!!!

My bestie LOVES gaucamole and well….you make me a winner when I entertain!!!!! My heart burst with LOVE for you! Cheesy I know, but you like cheese so there! :) mwah!!

Thanks Chrissy, you make me look great :)

oxo

9. Pam November 13, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

So did he like it? Did you convert him?

10. Anna November 14, 2011 at 8:15 am #

Chrissy! How am I only now discovering you have a blog? I’m already obsessed. Do you know that it’s a challenge every week for me to not make you my fash fave for fear of becoming a broken record. You make it so hard. Stop looking so stinking cute 24/7…. unless you wanna do a style interview for my readers, then you can continue being the fash maven you are. oh, and PS. I’m already prepping this dish. looks uh-mazing. Thanks love. xo

11. Andrea November 14, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Uhh yea. I could easily live on guacamole so I’m definitely going to have to make this asap!

12. Ellen November 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

Å, så fine bilder av all maten:D

13. nicole {sweet peony} November 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

i love guacamole but i’ve never tried it with cheese in it. i imagine it being pretty freaking delicious. yum!!

14. Monica R. November 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Not only have i been completely entertained by all of your vulgar, but yet soothing hilarious, “read my mind” tweets and to find out today you have this blog!!! You have brought a smile to this oh so round face of mine today!!

Ps Thanking you for adding a sprinkle of John in the pics!! ITs like adding the cherry on top aahh!! lol

15. Daniel Thomas (@DanielThomasKC) November 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

Will you mail me some?

16. Prof. Dr. Skinny Bitch November 15, 2011 at 5:55 am #

looks yummy! have to try it now with cheese!

17. Mary November 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

Let me find out this cheesy guac was amazing!!! I made it a little more spicy- but i loved it;)

Thanks

18. yy November 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

interesting to add cheese. i like to add grilled corn in mine, and it always surprises my guests and they all love it. i skip the tomatoes though, because like you said, who wants to dip their chips into brownish shit.

19. Melissa July 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Hi, Teigen! Use feta instead. Fetaguacamato dip is what we call it when I make. Delicioso!

20. Hollie Moore February 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

I added some Chipolte Tabasco, and this is yummy guacamole!! I also cooked down the onion and garlic because I have an aversion to raw, crunchy onions.

21. agate cameos jewellery March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Amazing! Its actually remarkable paragraph, I have got much clear idea concerning from this paragraph.%7

22. nellapet April 14, 2014 at 12:39 am #

Reblogged this on nellapet's Blog.

1. I suck. « So Delushious ! - February 28, 2012

[...] meal and he eats anything. The one thing he doesn’t eat? Avocado. Which I changed with my cheesy guacamole. I mean, it’s not quite just avocado, but still. Baby [...]

2. Guacamole piquante avec fromage !! | Yummy...with a cocktail ! - August 12, 2013

[…] Un peu de changement dans l’éternel recette de guacamole c’est plaisant.  J’étais à la recherche d’idée et Chrissy Teigen, sur son blog  So delushious, suggérait sa recette perso librement inspiré de celle d’Alton Brown. Une bonne idée le fromage !  J’ai modifié un peu la recette (si on peut dire…) et ajouté une petite touche personnel.  […]

3. Cheesy Guacamole | Mitchell Clemons Events - February 12, 2014

[…] but I generally think just about everything is better with cheese. I was excited when I came across Chrissy Teigen’s Easy Cheesy Guacamole recipe a little while ago and got the idea to add cheese to guacamole. I combined hers with the […]