Cooking in Everyday English

10 Nov

HIIII EVERYONE!

As you know through twitter, I am alive. I have been working pretty much non-stop for the past 2 weeks, which in my industry is pretty awesome. It’s crazy — sometimes I will cry myself to sleep at night because I have a solid month of VERY little work, then all of a sudden, boom, you are absurdly busy and exhausted from travel. When it rains, it pours. And I am so lucky for that.

Been battling this nasty cough for about 2.5 weeks now, and have just felt a bit physically miserable flying every 2-3 days. NOTHING makes me feel more gross (and puffy) than an airplane. Yeah yeah, “drink water!”, but it’s the plane! The plane means alcohol. You just….you just HAVE to drink. One, to ease the pain of just being around so many idiots, and two………..I dunno. I guess that’s the only reason but it is a big reason, alright?

Haven’t been cooking anything new. Been doing the same old recipes that I am still absolutely obsessed with, chipotle chicken (or shrimp!), super simple baked cajun catfish for lunch, and that lemon garlic bacon awesomeness that we dubbed “yardbird”. Classy.

But one thing I have been doing is reading cookbooks on my long flight, and my favorite one right now is Todd English’s “Cooking in Everyday English”. Now I will be the first to admit, he is a friend of ours and the first guy we go to when we have some sort of big dinner or party we need a catered meal for (he doesn’t personally cook but he will plan the menu and his team is AWESOME).

What we love about Todd is that, after having him do my birthday party last year, we learned that he is an AMAZING southern comfort food chef. I had no idea — I thought he was all about mediterranean flavors but man, does he make an amazing giant turkey leg — one of my favorites from my birthday party. I think it was, at least. I was sloshed.

I don’t want to try to sell you things on this blog. You know that. There is nothing in it for me to tell you to buy his book on my lowly wordpress food blog. But John and I cooked from it a couple months ago and ever since, I’ve been itching to make his simple to semi-simple, flavorful, homey dishes every day. And I am pretty bummed out I left it in NYC.

If you do get it, please promise me you will first make the lamb lollipops with cherry peppers (SO MUCH FLAVOR and so, so simple at just 4 steps) and the crab cakes with spicy aioli. I just recommend you use about 1/8 of the oil that John did to pan fry those suckers. The crab cakes were nearly deep fried as you’ll see below. But hell, we all know I am NOT above a deep fried crab cake.

I’ll be back soon with new recipes :) and excuse the greasy camera lens and “rustic” photos.

20 Responses to “Cooking in Everyday English”

1. 9 QUESTIONS... November 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

Glad you’re back! Looks yummy therefore will try. By the way, your tweets have me on the floor! Love!

2. Kierstin November 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

Love your blog! Was so intimidated by my beautiful Momofuku cookbook but am now planning a pork belly/steamed buns/ cauliflower blowout meal for my family the night before Thanksgiving (we are eating freaks) thanks to you! If you haven’t already – look at Food52.com it’s a website for excellent home cooks to submit recipes in weekly contests and it’s basically the shit. I’ve found some awesome recipes but don’t have the balls to submit one. No I don’t work for them. You are the best!

3. Elise November 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

I think your pics have been getting better Chrissy and it all looks very yummy!

4. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) November 10, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Can’t tell u how much I missed u! Love love this blog!

5. Jenny V November 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

So if i were to ask Santa for a cook book for Christmas that is the one you would recommend??

• chrissyteigen November 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

this is good old fashioned delicious cooking. but the momofuku cookbook is “impress your friends” amazingness.

• Jenny V November 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

do you have the authors name? please :)

6. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) November 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

Chrissy, can u please recommend an everyday Pinot Noir, I am a Sauvignon Blanc chick but it is Winter when I prefer a red and plan on making short ribs this weekend!

7. Elise Winsett November 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

This looks so good! I feel the same way about planes. I’m so happy I can legally drink on planes now, so much easier to get through.

8. shellbell November 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

oh how i’ve missed you chrissy!!!

9. Melissaj November 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

Whew!! Glad to hear you’re ok and that your business is booming right now. That’s always an awesome feeling :) I’m bookmarking this so I remember to get the book. I’m not the best cook but I’m always looking for simple yet delicious meals. And who can resist a good crab cake!? Lol.

10. Cynthia November 10, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

Glad you’re back! I’ll definitely have to check out this cookbook. Those crab cakes look good and I don’t even eat seafood!

11. Candice November 11, 2011 at 9:58 am #

well there goes my workday…this is now all i can think about.

12. Daisy November 11, 2011 at 10:02 am #

Looks delushious! You’re inspiring me to start a food blog :)

13. Shoe Closzet November 11, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Your pictures are the best. I”m not a big fan of lamb but your pictures make it look super yummy!

14. Shellbell November 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

where’s the recipe for the crabcake ?s

15. bimpko November 14, 2011 at 1:25 am #

i know this isn’t that kind of blog, but you should post amazon links where you get paid when people click thru because i pretty much buy everything you recommend and i feel like you should get some of the cut.

16. rachael November 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

hey girl! are you gonna post that Lamb recipe? it looks amazing!!

17. nellapet April 17, 2014 at 11:34 am #

Reblogged this on nellapet's Blog.