SNOW!

29 Oct

I cannot explain why I get so excited about snow. Maybe I don’t actually love the snow as much as I love what it defines for me. Snow means I get to be comfortable with how I really am, which is pretty much a homebody. Snow gives me that wonderful excuse to stay indoors, cooking for people I love and drinking drinks that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

When I do have to go out, I’ll tell you this: 90% of the time, I truly do NOT want to. There is so much that goes into these events and so much mental “hyping” I have to do, knowing that I will probably be talking to people that will make me death grip John’s hand each time they say something silly or name-droppy. Or when John tries to introduce me to somebody and they stick out their hand toward my direction as they continue to look into his eyes and ramble. It happens all. night. So would I rather be at home, cooking? Every time.

Not to say it isn’t a fun life. It is. It really is. You do meet some amazing people. But holy cow, there is so much bullshit to sift through. So maybe I overcompensate sometimes by trying to dumb it down a little and make fun of it all. I hope it doesn’t come off as uppity, but I need to keep myself sane.

Anyhow, as usual, where the hell is this going? How on earth will I transition this into me posting about those warm apple-dumplings with pumpkin pie ice cream I was talking about, weeks ago? Well I am certainly not the segue master, so here goes….

Make this. It’s delicious, and it probably took me 8 minutes to prep. This is what I brought (along with cinnamon blondies and other goodies) to my girlfriend’s pumpkin carving party. As we know, with it also being football Sunday, I was in cooking hell that day. It was so nice to make something completely delicious and so, so easy. It was definitely the highlight of all the things I made that day…

…I call this the “I took on too fucking much” face.

but it was worth it…

If you don’t eat this warm and paired with ice cream, you’re a terrorist. And fair warning: This is not my typical Whole-Foodsy type recipe. You’re gonna need a regular grocery store for this one. Mountain Dew and pop ‘n fresh, anyone?

Enjoy :) Recipe here, from one of my most favorite women in the world: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/02/apple_dumplings/

And the cinnamon blondies recipe: http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/3336622-cinnamon-blondies

27 Responses to “SNOW!”

1. Fran October 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Yours is one of my favorite blogs. Thanks for being genuine, and sassy, and sharing the delushious! You make me and my sister laugh on a continual basis. Enjoy the snow, and home. I am a flight attendant for Delta – hope I get to meet you some day.

2. Lauren October 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Omg I’ve been dying for some sweet tasty fall/winter-I-guess-since-it’s-snowing recipes!! So glad you’re back blogging! This looks like the perfect weekend treat since its a really cold wintry-mix type day in DC too and I’m clearly not leaving the house. Also still in pajamas so there’s that. Thanks for the food for thought, Chrissy! Get it?? Are all of your readers as dorky as me?

3. mina October 29, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Hi Chrissy, I’m excited about this! Gonna make it for my niece and nephew this weekend (knowing that auntie Mina will be eating most of them).

LOVE your blog! Keep up the good work :)

4. Amber October 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

This dumplings recipe is being made for my thanksgiving feast this year. No doubts about that. It looks and sounds DELICIOUS!!

5. Ron October 29, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

I noticed you left the skin on, did it make a difference? would be nice not to have to peel them. Making em tomorrow.

6. Chels R. October 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

Those look amazing! Perfect for fall. Love the pioneer woman! Enjoy your day & stay warm!

7. Pauline October 29, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

Love that you’re so down to earth and basically defy every model stereotype!

8. Tyler October 29, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

I just made those apple dumplings and they were amazing. Thanks for the recipe, they were super easy

9. Misbah October 30, 2011 at 12:02 am #

Yum yum yum! These look amazing! I was wondering if these would travel well. I want to take them to a family potluck so I was wondering if I should bake ‘em before going and warm them up there, or prep them and bake there…? Thank you for sharing all your delicious food!

10. Emily October 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

You don’t sound uppity. We still like you!

11. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) November 1, 2011 at 8:18 am #

Noticed you left the skins on the apple..do you always?

• chrissyteigen November 3, 2011 at 12:13 am #

yeah it didn’t really make a difference and it was easier on me time wise :)

12. amyrosebrown November 3, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Is it medically possible to overdose on these? I feel like I should know before I make these and eat them all and then die.

13. Mela November 4, 2011 at 3:38 am #

This is perfect for lazy cooks like me. They even have pre-cut apples at the grocery store!

14. Kelly Sowa November 5, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Made these last night for dinner with girlfriends. SO easy, SO sinful, SO incredibly yummy! One friend stole my printed recipe and everyone else wanted it emailed. Thank you Chrissy, for sharing all things yummy :)

15. Mel November 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Unrelated to this post, but related to an older post on Barefoot Contessa mixes, One Kings Lane is having a sale on Barefoot Contessa products for the next two days.

16. Gina November 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

OMG……..I saw you post about this on twitter and was wondering if it was the same recipe that my cousin made a last year…it is. Soooooo good which means I refused to copy down the recipe, and shoved it into the black abyss I have for yummy foods I need to forget exist so I don’t cook them on the regular. Thank you for shoving this back into my memory bank like a not so traumatic case of PTSD….NSTPTSD.

17. Ron November 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

I made these today and OMG talk about a sweet buttery treat! I can feel my arteries hardening as I type. Paula Dean would love these. I just made a half batch since there is only 2 of us. Took about 10minutes. I used lots of cinnamon and they were so good! Thanks Chrissy! Will send you a pic.

18. Ashlae | oh, ladycakes November 19, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Uhh, you’re the most adorable person ever. Those apple dumplings look delicious – and now my bowl of plain oatmeal is pale in comparison. Smeh.

19. cdr November 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

Emergency SOS, if I’m going to bring these to Thanksgiving can I bake them ahead of time or is it important to bake and serve immediately, bubbling hot? Do you have an opinion on this having made them? I’m paranoid about my stuffy family seeing me put mountain dew in a dessert so I’d like to if possible hide the evidence and bake at home beforehand…..

Thanks so much!

• Ron November 23, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

I have made them a few times and I would serve them fresh if possible. I have microwaved them to reheat them but it kind of takes away from the sugary, crispy outer shell. Better hide the mtn dew in a flask and sneak it in.

20. cdr November 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

hahahaha great idea and thanks for the info–knowing my family they won’t snub their nose if they think i’m adding vodka or brandy to the dessert.

• heyitsjwl January 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

This is currently baking right now and it smells great! You’ve gotten me hooked on the Pioneer Woman and her recipes!

21. maya July 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Oh my GOD I need to make these.

I meant to go and lay in the sun and read a book.. And walk my dogs.. Perhaps some furniture shopping.. And then I started reading your blog.

2 hours ago.

I love it. Thanks for all these amazing recipes and most of all, the stories and tangents around them.you crack me up :D

1. a heartwarming Thanksgiving post « Happily. - November 24, 2011

[...] via osmosis and large amounts of brainwashing through the years. Okay. But. HOLY MOLY did these suckers look [...]

2. and now christmas is over. « Stream of Consciousness - December 26, 2011

[...] [christmas day] whipped up these apple turnover things for my family. found it on chrissy teigen’s blog. *this is a picture before i stuck em in the oven. they were quite easy to make. good but far too [...]