pork. belly. ssam. night.

14 Oct

Yes, that is Jersey Shore on the TV, don’t judge us.

Have you noticed that I completely type like I speak? As in, basic incoherent rambling with never ending run-on sentences. When I do. the. thing. where. i write. like. this., I am basically trying to get an important point across. And if I were actually saying that sentence out loud, I would be staring at you with a completely straight, creepy face, saying “pork. belly. ssam. night.”. You would think there was about to be a punch or something, but it’s really just me expressing my passion. Frightening, I know. I have problems.

My point here? That pork belly is a gift from the gods.

Want to share some photos from dinner but I’m warning you now…I will not be posting the recipe. Because I’m basically flat out BEGGING you to buy David Chang’s Momofuku cookbook. It, without a doubt, has some tedious recipes in it, but good god it is WORTH IT. Nothing in the book is impossible, but if you’re like me, you’ll find chaos in the fact a recipe will call for “pickled mustard seeds” then you have to turn to page 70 for that recipe then that recipe might call for something you need from ANOTHER page but IT IS WORTH IT! Especially if you want to be soooo proud of yourself for creating a meal for friends or family that they have truly never ever had or even thought about having. It’s….just awesome.

I eat at Momofuku regularly. I am a regular ol’ paying customer, so don’t think I’m getting some sorta deal outta this. I tweet David Chang for help when I need it (sometimes often) and I just find everything he touches to be gold, from each nyc restaurant he has to this very cookbook.

I made Pork Belly Ssam, lettuce wraps, with David’s signature mustard seed sauce with picked cucumbers, mayo and hot mustard (and more), and I cannot imagine a better pairing for the pork belly. The flavors, together, are….remarkable. I have no other word.

Also made his roasted cauliflower with fish sauce vinaigrette. I was able to consume 2 or 3 pieces because john annihilated it.

Please make it. I’m sure the recipes are online but I always feel weird posting something that I personally got from a cookbook , online. It will pretty much blow your mind. Orrrrr I suppose you can go to Momofuku Ssam Bar in nyc (207 2nd Avenue) and do it the lazy way! Lazy can be delicious but will you be proud of yourself and have the honor of doing a sink and a half of oily dishes? NO you certainly will not!

Also, these recipes were Puddy and Pippa approved:

22 Responses to “pork. belly. ssam. night.”

1. Dave Hoffman October 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

Love the shelf full of Grammys behind John while he’s getting ready to eat! Looks delish.

2. Lauren October 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

LOL Wow, I had no idea those were Grammys. To me it looked like a wall size wine rack and the circle things were like the bottoms of wine bottles because that just seemed like something you would want to have Chrissy!! I mean, lord knows I’d take a wall size wine rack full of delicious wine.

Anyhow, I’ve just recently discovered the pork belly and this creation looks amazing. I’ve yet to actually cook with pork belly myself though but this dish looks simple and flavorful (my two favorite words when it comes to food) so you might have got gotten me on the “cook your own porkbelly” bandwagon!

ps Pippa is getting so big!!

3. carla (@cruzcd) October 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Looks Amazing! I caved in to peer pressure and ordered the cook book. Can’t wait for it to get here and try out some recipes.

4. Elise October 14, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

you’re gonna hate me for saying this but we didn’t get to see any pics of your outfit :( But the food looks deliciouis!

5. Sara Medeiros Crook October 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

First of all, just had to say that I am glad I stumbled upon your blog. Not only do I appreciate the delushious food you speak of, but your humor really makes reading this so entertaining- your sarcastic approach to describing your cooking experience is not wasted on me. Second, I didn’t think it was possible for anyone else to be as passionate about food (more so for me, eating) as I am! I also will justify eating the shit out of one food group because I am depriving myself of another due to carb abandonment (hello, I just ate an entire bag of pistachios- no biggie though because I won’t eat bread at dinner tonight, right?!) Anyway- fellow food passion-ista…bring it.

6. Michelle October 14, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

OMG i can taste the salty bits right now. And do you eat in your living room? Love it. So do I. And did you love on JS last night when Vinny was impersonating Deena riding Pauly D?? hysterical.

Michelle

7. Msoli October 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Your meal looks fantastic! Great pictures too. I really enjoy your reading your blog and tweets. Keep up the great work!

8. Tiffany October 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

Looks yummykins :))) the dogs are excited.

9. Katherina October 14, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

Haha, Puddy licking his lips in the first picture is priceless :)

10. Miss_Classy October 15, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

ooooh my favorite! 삼겹살 (ssam) is SO good <3 I love eating it with some grilled
    garlic and kimchi as well. So good! Puddy and Pippa are so cute! They look quite
    satisfied with the dish! Thanks for sharing all your food recipes Chrissy! :)

11. Nelle October 16, 2011 at 4:51 am #

I want to like it Chrissy I do. It looks amazing. And your crazy intense passion makes me think it will be amazing. But somehow, no matter which way I cook it I. Still. Hate. Pork. I’m sorry. I feel like I fail as a foodie. :(

12. Nikki October 17, 2011 at 9:04 am #

I live in Korea and this is by far one of my favorite meals! Nothing better than some samgyeopsal! Yours looks awesome!

13. Nicc October 18, 2011 at 3:21 am #

OH Yesss Love me some pork belly, purchasing his cook book now!

x

14. Renee' October 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Just made this tonight..with a tweek or two. The hubs isn’t a mustard fan so I whipped up a spicy soy kinda something or other sauce. *sigh* Just because I planned on leftovers…DIDN’T HAPPEN. I ended up with dirty dishes and a big ass grin on his face..WIN WIN WIN. Thanks!!!

15. Brittany October 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

I was just in NY a few weeks back and went to Momofuku…I was hooked! We went there twice in 2 days because it was so good! I wish they had one here in LA/OC. I had the ramen, pork buns, and those pepper appetizer things! So bomb!

16. patricia October 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

which momofuku is your favorite? Just saw david chang on masterchef australia reruns and cant wait to try his food!!!

17. Domonique November 8, 2011 at 1:30 am #

Okay I bought the book and did the recipe, pork belly is the hardest thing to find, is it called something else in grocery stores? I used another piece of the pig that I won’t say (embarrassed) but it turned out good, so as a guy that is pretty anal about directions what
    other piece of meat can I use?

• chrissyteigen November 10, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

hmmmm pork belly is usually cut for me by any butcher! basically just a thick ass piece of bacon. i dunno another substitute! i’ll let you know after culinary school :)

• Dian Tran (@DianLTran) November 14, 2011 at 8:48 am #

Hi Chrissy, you’ve inspired me to start a food blog! Check out *insert shameless plug* my hubby’s version of Momofuku pork buns: http://stuffmyhusbandcooks.tumblr.com/

We’re mad David Chang fans and can I say that we’re so jealous that you’re so close to Momofuku (and the rest) compared to us!

keep tweeting!

18. nellapet April 14, 2014 at 1:09 am #

Reblogged this on nellapet's Blog.

1. Just a reminder… « So Delushious ! - October 29, 2011

[...] haven’t yet made the pork belly lettuce wraps with mustard seed sauce I made (reminisce here: http://sodelushious.com/2011/10/14/pork-belly-ssam-night/), you are such a disappointment to [...]

2. Sausage Links… « becky's buns - November 4, 2011

[...] you click on this link you will discover a Sports illustrated model. Seriously. You will discover Miss Chrissy Teigen and [...]