Prosciutto Figs

12 Oct

Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of simple things. I like things that you have to really baby….shit that takes forevvvvvver. Tedious tasks. BIG flavors. Dishes where you can feeeeeel the work and love that went into it.

Then I discovered these little bites…

They are little bites of FLAVOR. And all you need is olive oil, prosciutto, and figs, That’s it. If you’d like, you can even spice em up with blue cheese or honey which is still ridiculously easy and your guests (or lovah) will go nuts for them.

If you can’t make these, you are pretty much incapable of doing anything. Like we should probably take away your driver’s license and remove your sperm or ovaries (or both, we don’t discriminate here) and I’m going to figure out how to ban your IP address from ever coming here again. I mean I love you but I can’t coddle you, you know?

Step one! Slice the top of each fig off — the stem. Then slice little figgy in half. I only buy about 4 figs at a time, for 8 halves (durrr) but make as many as you’d like…it will be the same cooking time. And oh my god since you will ask this in the comments anyhow — I’m sad no one cared about my snapper recipe and people were only intrigued by my striped Equipment (GOT THAT?) shirt that I was wearing while saucing the little guy — the blazer is Helmut Lang and so are the shorts and the watch is something I can’t spell and the knife is from sur la table and the oil is from whole foods and the cheese was made by a cheesemaker and the book was published by a publisher and my skin is from being half thai and the tomato is from a vine and the pepper mill is made from wood are you happy now please tell me you are kljfkadljgdkg.

Take one super thin slice of prosciutto and “rustically” wrap it around the fig. Remember, rustic is what we call things when they look unprofessional and messy but you need a great euphemism. All my cooking? Rustic.

If you are feeling cray cray, slap a piece of blue cheese on the fig before wrapping the prosciutto around it. I LOVEDDD this snack before the blue cheese, but once I added cheese….hard to go back to the plain guys.

Use your ummm…fingerpads?… to slap some oil on the tops. Or honey! SOOO good with honey drizzled over them — plain with just prosciutto, or the ones with cheese.

Throw em in the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 400. The figs will come out super soft (and suuuuuper hot) and SUUUUUUPER FLAVORFUL. I think they’re just super. Can’t you tell? Super!

Make them. Because it’s fall and you’re a terrorist if you don’t make something with figs during the fall. And I just imagined these with a hot apple rum cider and I just about peed myself. Excuse me.

Enjoy!

25 Responses to “Prosciutto Figs”

1. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) October 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

and what color is the nail polish Chrissy??? LOL!!!!!

• Lo October 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

I was going to pull this exact joke… LOL.

2. Darcy Dietz October 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

or use soft goat cheese instead of blue, and drizzle with a thick aged balsamic after they come out of the oven.

3. Veronique van Beurden October 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

Just had diner with friends and your lasagna, it was lovely, delicious and i’m happy and not hungry anymore..until you posted this blog…now my friends, me and our bottles of wine want this snack as well. Damn you Christine Teigen.

4. Dominick S (@dsantosla) October 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

This is a great snack! I have a friend who “smokes” these and it adds even more deliciousness…too bad figs are almost out of season (at least they start disappearing in CA about now).

5. On life and stuff October 12, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

Oh my, I just love you! And the figs sound great.

6. Lo October 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

This is also good with prunes… I know you probably say “eeeewwww prunes”… But trust me, it is delicious. Some people throw almonds in the prune, but either way is great!

7. Uhhlizabeth (@Uhhlizabeth) October 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Thanks! I made this. Loved it. I also made it with some dates too! I’m having some people over this eve and will make them both (dates and figs) wrapped by themselves & I am going to try goat cheese stuffing some and stuffing some with walnuts.

8. nicole {sweet peony} October 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

hilarious!!! can’t wait to try these since i love me some crispy prosciutto!

9. Margaret October 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

I’ll have to try these… love prosciutto and blue cheese, never had figs before! They look delicious!

• chrissyteigen October 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

i had never really had figs either before this….in some dishes here and there, but never really showcased in a dish. this is a great way to get acquainted with them!

10. nikki October 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

Looks yummy! I have a fig tree in my back yard. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

11. Christina October 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

I’ve had then with the nut inside, honey, and bacon wrapped instead of procciutto. Must try this way!

12. actorsdiet October 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

i ate bacon wrapped dates over the weekend with pecans. love salty n sweet.

13. Jill October 13, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Curious if you would drip honey on after you bake them? Wonder if it would burn too easily in the oven. P.S. When do start cooking school?

14. Emily October 13, 2011 at 8:34 am #

Throw in a little rosemary and it’ll almost be like my favorite pizza from Figs. Going to make these for our annual halloween party, thank you! Seriously though, what nail polish are you wearing, Bubble Bath? It always look good.

15. lisa Dvorak October 13, 2011 at 11:14 am #

As someone who enjoys good food and struggles to maintain a low carb diet, I HAVE to ask… What do you eat for lunch? I can only tolerate so many salads!

Your blog and Tweets are pure genius by the way. The perfect mix of food and humor. Keep it up!

16. Heather October 14, 2011 at 11:52 am #

I make these in the summer all the time – we BBQ them! The only difference is that we stuff them with some goat chevre but blue cheese – something like Roquefort – would also be amazing! People are always insanely impressed but it’s sooooo easy. Love it.

17. Christina Kjaer Favrbo October 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Yay – just finished the yummy figs with my impressed dinner guests. Lemon/bacon chicken currently roasting in the oven. After the fig overture I can’t wait for garlic galore…

18. Charley October 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

You are hilarious! This looks amazing and I will definitely be making it to woo potential boyfriends.

19. Camilla December 6, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

hahaha this is a funny post – love this recipe. The simplest combinations are usually the best, right?

20. Hannah April 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

How the tit did I just discover this food blog, you’re awesome and everything looks like you threw fucking delicious on it.

21. A July 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

Holy shit, I just made these and ate like 10 of ‘em.

22. David August 31, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

I had to pay through the nose to buy figs here in Hong Kong- but the taste just reminded me so much of home! I could follow your recipe so easity- but I will never get my legs to look like that… oh, those legs……