Thai Night: Part II

11 Oct

Sounds like a cheap version of “The Hangover”, right? But it couldn’t possibly be worse than the second one, which offended me in every way possible as someone with a Thai background. I mean, I know I’m pretty offensive myself but holy shit, way to make a country look like it has NO redeeming qualities at all. Trannies, drug monkeys, sex sex sex…I know it’s definitely abundant in those things but geesh, throw us a freakin bone sometimes. The country is painfully aware and of how that small area looks  to the rest of the world and I know that even my parents absolutely hate it when it’s even brought up. Anyhow, this is something I could have a passionate debate about forever so I will refrain. I just love, love, love Thailand. DON’T MAKE FUN OF THE MOTHERLAND! Sure we have our moments (really, really long moments that will probably never go away ummm bad point) but we are a good people, dammit….ok….moving on, sorry sorry sorry!

So this snapper. It was one of the easiest, quickest things I’ve ever done while still somehow getting the title of the most flavorful. I’m not kidding — I woke up and could still taste the umm…muskier…version of it in my mouth from the night before. Garlic and oyster sauce are the main points of flavor here, and together, they do not disappoint. You’ll find this sauce to be borderline unfathomably delicious while being completely overwhelmed by the saltiness factor.

I got a whole snapper and asked the seafood department guy — what do you call a fish butcher? not the first line to a joke, I really am curious — to debone it and man, that poor guy did his best. Deboning isn’t mandatory but it is a definitely benefit when it comes to serving whole fish, obviously.

This is what I unwrapped. Not bad, but bones all over the place. Oh well. I could not have done ANY better, although I woulddddd love to take a class on it ASAP.

The recipe is 3 steps. Making the sauce, pouring it over the fish, and wrapping it up and baking it. Doesn’t even need your watchful eye. Aaaah I love baking fish in foil. I haven’t done it wrong yet! Do you know how much that means to me?? I have failed many, many recipes. Fish baking is not one of them.

Sweaty. In the modeling industry we call it “glowing”. I was glowing all over the place.

I was VERY generous with the sauce. As in, whatever the recipe told me to put in, I added just a litttttle bit more. As you’ve probably noticed, I do this with a lot of things. There is no middle ground, no medium for me. I only have extremes. And it hasn’t hurt thus far!

I used so much sauce that the foil pretty much had to be wrapped up into a bowl. And really, if you taste it before baking, it is going to be just…beyond salty. But GOOD salty. Don’t think you failed! It will be better after baking. Also, if you add some sautéed veggies around the fish, it makes for a complete meal annnnd those veggies sop up all the extra sauce quite nicely. You will love.

That’s happiness. If that face isn’t enough for you to want to make this, you are crazy and heartless and I don’t even know if I want you around these parts no more!!!

Here’s the recipe, and I know. I totally used some random link from about.com. It’s just that this is the only recipe I could find online that really had alllll the ingredients I like in this dish. Trust me, it’s great.

Baked snapper with garlic-chili sauce (and your own sautéed veggies): http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaiseafoodrecipes/r/bakedwholefish.html

Enjoy!

28 Responses to “Thai Night: Part II”

1. Caroline October 11, 2011 at 10:21 am #

You are really spoiling us with so many posts in a row!!

2. Sarah October 11, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Fish monger I think. This looks sooo good. I hated fish until about a year ago, but have been trying it and trying it until I liked it. And now I need to expand my horizons, this doesn’t look like a half bad option to start with!

3. Jeremy October 11, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Fishmonger = fish butcher.

4. Jessica (@JessMatushek) October 11, 2011 at 10:57 am #

I love reading your posts as I settle into work at my desk with my coffee and oatmeal. Nothing like looking at pictures of bloody fish first thing in the morning! I’ve cooked fish in a pan with olive oil, definitely need to try baking in foil, thanks! Love your blog, it inspires me to cook more!

5. Christine October 11, 2011 at 11:10 am #

I Love Thailand! I’m going for New Years and I CAN NOT wait to eat my face off! Ur blog is super cute! xoxo

6. Tóta October 11, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Looks delish! But since you brought up sweating, how do you keep from sweating all over your beautiful outfits on red carpets and such? What is the secret?

• chrissyteigen October 11, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

No secret. just constant powder touchups and hidden underarm areas :) never raise my hand, ever :)

7. xoxome11 October 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Could you use this sauce on fish fillets? or even just on steamed veggies?

8. Arika (@karmalaluna) October 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

I am vegetarian and this is making me want to eat seafood again. Looks so delicious! My first experience with Thai food was at a restaurant. I was eating a dish that had rice, almonds, and black-purplish looking peppers in it. (I think. This was three years ago.) The person who I was with was like “You shouldn’t eat those peppers because they’re really f*cking hot.” And I thought who in their right mind would put peppers you can’t eat in food? So I ate the pepper. And regretted it for the next two days because I felt like I had second degree burns in my digestive system. At least this dish doesn’t look like it’ll kill me.

• chrissyteigen October 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

oh yeah. thai chillies can make you hurt for days. The little ones are the worst offenders!

9. kristine October 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

Look delish!
    btw, love your shirt! where is it from?

10. cdr October 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

not food related (on that note, looks amazing) but I’m in love with that shirt. Can you tell where to buy?

• chrissyteigen October 11, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

It’s by Equipment, I got it at barney’s

11. Candy October 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Your enthusiasm is definitely contagious! This one I really like because I have all the ingredients already. I’ll make this tomorrow.

• Candy October 11, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Also I should mention that for ‘real’ fish eaters deboning is unnecessary :)

12. Lydia October 11, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

Have you ever heard of foodwishes? the guy behind it reminds me so much of you with his sarcassholish ways! I love what you do, I love food/cooking but hated cooking. This blog makes me excited about it!!

13. Jenny V October 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

do you think this would be ok with other fish? like..taste wise simliar??

14. Mitchell October 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

I love your competence!

15. Becky C October 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

I am so having a Thai night after reading these posts! Yuuuuuummy!

You inspired me to start writing a blog too. Thoroughly enjoying it, when i find time! So thank you. :)

16. Brooke (@brookestar) October 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Is there a taste benefit to leaving the head on the fish? I’ve never tried it like that because it seems like I’m eating gross fish brains, but maybe fish brains are good?

• chrissyteigen October 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

nah i don’t really even eat the head. just kinda love it for presentation. john eats it though! that guy will eat anything.

17. palinode (@palinode) October 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

I can’t think of a fish butcher joke. This is going to drive me nuts until I come up with something. ARGH I HAVE WORK TO DO.

18. Uhhlizabeth (@Uhhlizabeth) October 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Yum! I have thus far been afraid to adventure into the realm of cooking something that still has its head, but I am ready now! Thanks for making me enthused :) Love your posts Chrissy

19. Brooke October 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Made this last night and it was absolutely amazing and super easy. Saved some of the sauce to freeze and put on something else to make it delicious in the future. Also I know you’re doing the low-carb thing right now but I made it with some brown rice pilaf as well and put that on the bottom of the plate when I served it and layered the fish and veggies over and the rice soaked up all the juicy goodness of the sauce and was delish. Keep the recipes coming, I’m making the lasagna on Sunday for fat-kid football day!

20. kathy October 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

i tried the recipe it was amazing. a bit salty, but i love salty. i used tilapia. i don’t like to look at the snapper head. and they woudn’t debone it. Uh…..i don’t know anyone in the world who cooks in clothes like that without even an apron. feeling like i should step my cooking clothes game up or something now.