LASAGNA!

11 Oct

Not many things better in this world than a hot, bubbling lasagna.

So why did it take me SO long to make one? Basically the idea only came to me because of the fabulous writings (and doings!) of Kris from YoungMarriedChic.com . She came up with a delicious looking recipe for crock pot lasagna that immediately put me in the mood for something I haven’t even thought about in months. Really. But not an hour would go by yesterday without me dreaming of lasagna. And the hours…oh they went by. So quickly, in fact, that I didn’t even have the 6-8 hours to make the damn thing, unless I wanted it for breakfast…which upon second thought, I am definitely not above.

Anyhow, I still found myself thinking about this effing lasagna. Like a zombie but instead of brains, my body. Needed. Lasagna.

Who do I turn to in such a weak moment!? Paula freaking Deen, of course. By the way, how amazing is it that she has created such a name for herself that when you need a recipe, you literally turn to her for help? You know that anything Paula puts her buttery hands on is going to be hearty and delicious.

I found her recipe to be…just perfect. I didddd add some eggplant and red bell peppers for no real reason besides the fact I had eggplant and red bell peppers already in my fridge. And ummm, I don’t mean to brag but my friends and John diddddd comment about how delicious the bell peppers were before even knowing they weren’t a part of the original recipe. Not saying I’m a genius and the first person to add bell peppers but…ahem. Do it.

The recipe is too easy for my smart ass captions, even. So here are some photos. And can I just tell you how AMAZED I am with “no-boil” lasagna noodles?? NO idea this existed. I thought I’d have to search long and hard but I saw them both at Whole Foods and my little corner store. You literally just lay the hard sheets into the sauce and layer and bake and you have your own freaking lasagna. I’d just recommend that you constantly taste the meat as it simmers on the stove. One, because you are going to go crazy with hunger once the aroma fills your house, but two, it’s important that this is crazzzzzy flavorful. Add a few more little dashes of whatever you find necessary from the recipe, and taste taste taste. Oh also, I did end up spooning some of the red sauce out of the saucepan (and into my mouth / the sink) before layering it into my lasagna. It just seemed a bit too saucy for me, and I think it ended up being the right thing to do :) Oh and ah…one more thing: I found spicy italian sausage and hot chorizo at Whole Foods and decided it haddddd to be a part of this recipe. So I bought the sausage (the recipe calls for Italian sausage), squeezed it out of the casings and into my saucepan with the rest of the ground chuck. It was one of the most disgusting things to witness ever, me squeezing sausage out of condomesque casings, but oooo baby it was good. Hard to go wrong here!

It ain’t pretty, but boy was it tasty.

And as you can see by that top photo, I couldnt even wait for this sucker to cool before I slapped it on a plate.

Paula Deen’s “Lot’s o Meat” lasagna: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/lots-omeat-lasagna-recipe/index.html

13 Responses to “LASAGNA!”

1. shellbell October 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

Bomb ass chrissy!

2. candice October 11, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

bless you. i had no idea this recipe AND “no-boil” lasagna noodles existed.

• Ron October 11, 2011 at 9:49 pm #

Those noodles rock, I think here they call em “oven ready” lasagna noodles.

3. xoxome11 October 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

Chrissy! you are ROCKING this blog lately! Thank GOD your special secret yet important jobs are over and you’re back to being our “food-bestie’! I’m making this for dinner for the family this weekend – LOVE that you added the chorizo (and the peppers). I’m totally going to be just like you (except for the rockin’ bod)!!! Welcome back!

4. Meg October 11, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

I LOVE chorizo and put it everything – if you slice the sausage lengthwise you can unwrap it and it will be less disgusting than squeezing. It took me a year to figure that out so you`re welcome!

5. actorsdiet October 12, 2011 at 2:53 am #

i am like garfield. give me lasagna.

6. Jessica (@JessMatushek) October 12, 2011 at 11:23 am #

I live for cheesy baked pasta, need to try this! IF you have time you should try Giada’s lasagna recipe with meat, spinach and a delicious beschamel sauce, everyone I make it for loves it! I saw this and thought of your blog http://www.etsy.com/listing/70702124/the-best-people-11×17-poster-print?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_query=kitchen&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_category=art&ga_page=24&ga_facet=

7. Kristina October 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Because what you need is more lasagna recipes, I made this lasagna three times in two weeks, because in my family we give 0.0 fucks about our health.

8. Lauren October 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Chrissy – Do you ever make your own pasta sauce as in, tomato/marinara? I really enjoy putting my own spin on Giada’s traditional “marinara” because you can literally throw in WHATEVER you like and it is amazing. Here is what I do, if you’re ever interested! Start with a BIG BIG sauce pan/pot because I make a boatload and freeze it for future use. Basically sautee a diced red onion and million garlic cloves in olive oil, then add a couple of the HUGE cans of peeled, whole tomatoes (hand crushed), then chuck in salt, basil, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes (I use a ton because I love it spicy!), and a whole bunch of pitted kalamata olives crushed up by hand which give it a really great salty flavor. You can also toss in diced red peppers (raw or roasted), eggplant, zucchini – whatever you like really! I mean it is so easy it’s dumb. But delicious! And so much tastier/better for me than jarred sauces.

Just thought I’d chime in! Keep up the blogging!

9. Lauren October 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

I think I love you. I can’t wait to make the Tom yum, snapper, this….you are a girl after my own heart!

10. David October 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

good lord, woman. that looks beyond awesome.

11. Deenicole October 22, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

Made this tonight! I’m basically retarded int he kitchen and had to actually go to Wegmans today and purchase EVERY ONE of the ingredients (I don’t cook what so ever) needless to say, after plowing hatefully thru the store this all paid off! My 5 year old was completely unaware of the added veggies and told me I was the best cooker in the world! This shit was delicious. Boyfriend will have the leftovers Tommorow. First meal I ever prepared in life!!! Lemon chicken is next!!