My camera…

5 Oct

I have NO idea why, but soooo many of you have asked me about which camera I use to take these blog photos. I am terribly insecure about the photos, because I truly believe I have no artistic eye whatsoever, so I am kinda thrilled you are even asking.

It’s a Canon PowerShot G11, and it. is. the best.

I’ve had a lot of cameras, I usually get 1 or 2 a year. It’s gross. Sometimes I want a big one with an awesome lens, sometimes I miss the tiny ones that can slide in your pocket. Then I want the big one again and realize there are 20 better versions of it since mine came out.

I noticed that everyone I was around had this camera…people at casting agencies, professional photographers that chose it as their personal camera, friends that went on crazy adventurous travel excursions, and people that rarely leave the house during the day and who solely use it when going out .

I love it because it’s a real camera, not a tiny little digital slide-in-your-pocket thing, and yet it fits in most of my clutches (and isn’t even something I notice in my absurdly large purses) so I can easily whip it out at any restaurant and not look like a cuckoo weirdo with a large lens camera. I’m surprised John’s not embarrassed more….every time a dish comes out, I make the poor guy pause and have to stare at it for a few minutes while I try to get the perfect shot, while everyone watches. I think I’m embarrassed enough for the both of us, though.

Anyhow. That’s my camera. Sounds like I’m getting paid but I’m not, ok!? You asked! And also…it’s not cheap. But for me, in the long run, it is. Because I’m not getting a new one in a longggg time.

15 Responses to “My camera…”

1. Monica Rose D October 5, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I have a G9 and it’s been my favourite baby for ages. LOVE IT! I’ve been a photographic producer, worked in design and advertising agencies and am an overall visually stimulated chick. I have to say that this little fella has provided me with such joy. You’re right – it’s portable but not wimpy, it looks and feels like a camera should do, and it easily takes beautiful shots! x

• isabelle October 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm #

wow! love your pictures

• Monica Rose D October 6, 2011 at 8:51 am #

Thank you! I’m not the photographer unfortunately though. I produce the shoots x

2. Mike Famico (@Fameeks) October 5, 2011 at 10:00 am #

“I’ve had a lot of cameras, I usually get 1 or 2 a year. It’s gross. Sometimes I want a big one with an awesome lens, sometimes I miss the tiny ones that can slide in your pocket.”
    #ThatsWhatSheSaid

Sorry, had to. Love the blog, happy to see you are getting more active with it. Keep up the enjoyable work!

3. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) October 5, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Thanks…going right to Amazon now to see if it is there…cannot keep using my phone camera

4. Kat October 5, 2011 at 10:05 am #

I have the same camera! And I love it, too! I bought mine a little bit at the last minute, with minimal research but I don’t regret getting it at all. It’s awesome.

What I learned with WordPress, though, is that when you use their uploader, it kind of degrades the picture. I suggested uploading to Flickr then just including the photos in your post via HTML. It’s easier than it sounds, I promise. It’s the only thing I’m able to do on HTML. And the difference is obvious. Your photos will looks much much better.

5. actorsdiet October 5, 2011 at 11:13 am #

i use a canon s95 – which i’ve been using to blog with for almost a year. it’s changed my life:

6. twheetybird October 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

7. Tiffany October 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Cameras do make a huge difference with blogging. My fav camera broke last year-at no fault of my own and now I am not fully happy w my pics

8. Caz October 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

This post was great bc it was like reading my own mind when it comes to my thoughts about my cameras, I almost just bought a tiny one bc well, I lost my large DSLR (yikes) but wasn’t using it much because it was too bulky to carry anyways. This option seems like the perfect middle of the road camera. Thanks for sharing.

p.s. The G12 is a slightly updated version and is currently running at lower cost than the G11 on amazon if folks are wanting to pick one up.

9. Daron Colflesh October 5, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I have had a G11 for about 2 years now and it’s my FAVORITE thing. Fits in my purse, but doesnt weigh me down (too much) and takes fantastic photos. Enjoy!

10. Michelle October 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Since it sounds like you have amassed quite the arsenal of cameras, maybe you can “gift” one you’re not using to this Philly girl :)

Love your blog, (and your twitter.)
    - Michelle

11. HourglassAndBloom January 9, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

AH! I have nearly the same one (I have the G12? Is there a difference?)! I love it too – I feel a tiny bit more “blogger” and yet it still fits in a purse!

Sorry for the borderline creepy comment on a post a bajllion years ago, but I just discovered your blog today and I’ve been completely hiding out in my cubicle at work and reading non-stop. My eyes hurt and this light-grey font color of yours is killing me, but your jokes are slaying so it all evens out. I’ll stop now. Because I have to read more.

xo