Best Bite

5 Oct

I think I’m gonna start doing something called “Best Bite I’ve Had This Week” which will mainly just be the best bite I’ve had this week. See what twitter has done to me? I feel the need to explain everything because no matter how clear you think something is, to many people, IT ISN’T. But please. Let’s not operate that way here, okay? You guys are awesome. Please stay awesome.

The only rules I’ve given myself for this is basic accessibility. No “specials” or “tasting menu” items. Just regular menu item dishes I would love for you guys to try if you come to New York or LA or wherever the hell it is that I have said bite. Capiche? I think it’s fun but I also think plucking hairs and squeezing blackheads is a great time so you’re gonna have to let me know if this sucks.

So for this first installment, I would like to showcase THIS small plate of deliciousness:

This is porcini mushroom risotto with egg yolk from Michael’s in NYC. The backstory on choosing this place is basically that my regular daily life right now, if I’m not actually shooting or taping or sleeping or eating or cleaning up dog poop or washing dog urine out of my sheets, is meetings. And since this “meetings” thing is new to me, and I find it SO exciting and intriguing when my agent, Sharon, takes me to an uber-midtown lunch meeting spot. This place in particular is FULL of regulars, and is just bustling with important people doing important things and discussing important deals. In return, I feel important! God I am easy. Anyhow, there is such great people-watching to do, that is, if you aren’t already in this “lunch meeting” type of world. And the FOOD is great.

So yes. The food. I hereby dub thee porcini mushroom risotto with egg yolk as my best bite of the week.  Creamy, perfectly cooked (overcooked risotto is my fancypants pet peeve) and the perfect size — it’s on the appetizers menu. And EGG YOLK? I think I’ve said before that MORE food needs to be blessed with egg yolk. I love it on the most random things. Pizza and salad especially. Ooh baby.

So there’s your…my…best bite of the week!

Michael’s

24 W 55th St, New York - (212) 767-0555

18 Responses to “Best Bite”

1. yasminlennie October 5, 2011 at 12:43 am #

This looks amazing!!! You are making me want to return to new york sooner than i planned!

2. Jay October 5, 2011 at 12:44 am #

How do you think they cooked the egg? Everything else I think I can handle.

3. WuzUpG October 5, 2011 at 12:45 am #

Totally love this idea. I already keep a database for Food Network’s The Best Thing I Ever Ate, Man v Food, Food Wars, and Outrageous Foods. I will add your entries to my database.

4. actorsdiet October 5, 2011 at 1:12 am #

it’s hard to think of the yummiest things i’ve eaten – i try to make them all spectacular!

5. Annalisa Schmad October 5, 2011 at 2:24 am #

that looks delish… wish I didn’t live in Europe… (that sounds weird) I guess I don’t really wish I didn’t live in Europe :-) but … you know what I mean. Thanks for your wonderful, down to earth, girl-next-door blog that has gotten me more laughs and great food than anything else in the last few years! (recipes from some of your blogroll friends are amazing!). Too bad your blog doesn’t do sex…I’d be complete. :-) (I’m just KIDDING!! Not a stalker HAHA). Just sayin’… greetings from the Netherlands.

6. Scott October 5, 2011 at 2:57 am #

Thanks for sharing your “bite” it looks awesome! Now if I can just get the image of the HOT SI chick squeezing black heads and plucking hairs out of my head…wait, leave the plucking hairs in. As always CT, you’re yourself. Which is VERY refreshing in the “I’m sorry for what I said” censored world we live in.

7. Veronique van Beurden October 5, 2011 at 4:31 am #

Hi Chrissie, thanks for having sarcasm, for enjoying the occasional squeezing of the black heads, and for reminding me that I should definitly come to New York asap. If you’re ever in Amsterdam, there are some great places to eat here as well! and drink…and drink some more..and laugh at the random persons that walk around here in the city. Just wanted to say it’s a refreshing blog about things that I like, food, drinks, eating some more in countries with a warm climate, dogs but most of all about making fun of yourself (sometimes about others) and to not be so serious all the time. Hasta la Pasta from Amsterdam

8. Tiffany October 5, 2011 at 7:31 am #

The plating looks great. I love people watching but I guess if you are at a meeting you have to focus.

9. Brooke Owens October 5, 2011 at 9:53 am #

You’re hilarious. I love you.

10. Lauren October 5, 2011 at 9:59 am #

I absolutely love Michaels, but I only go when I’m in LA even though I live in NJ. I will have to try that dish. I’m a sucker for anything with egg yolk.

If you are ever in Barcelona looking for a great place to eat, I just had the most amazing egg dish at a place called Bar Mut. They called it “fried egg carpaccio”. It was simply a whole plate of warm egg york piled with crunchy shoestring potatoes and shrimp. Heaven!

Looking forward to more best bites!

11. leslie0985 October 5, 2011 at 11:49 am #

I’m officially swooning after an appetizer. WTF.
    Love the first installment, keep them coming, it’s a great idea!!

12. Michelle October 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Ok I think you should do best bite of the day. because….well……i love your blogs. :-)

13. Jenny V October 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

im really excited for this! i live in the middle of no where, where there is NOTHING COOL and NO VARIETY in food, and i very very (very very very) occasionally get to LA and never know where to eat!

it would also be neat if for some of them we (you) tried to recreate them yourself! :)

14. Lola October 6, 2011 at 1:12 am #

After the blackheads comment, everything just looked like pus to me. It still looked delicious, though. I mean…uh….

15. Nicole October 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

Hi Chrissy,

I am in LOVE with your blog. You seem so REAL unlike many other “celebrities”.

Would you be so kind to give us some of your beauty secrets? I would ask you on twitter but I do not have a twitter account.

I hope you respond.

Love from the SFValley.

xoxo-Nikki

16. Jessica October 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Have you tried Marc Forgione in NYC? Going there next weekend, this sounds right up your alley!
    BLT Ravioli, Sungold Cherry Tomato, Black Pig Meat Co. Bacon, Baby Spinach

17. Jessica January 13, 2012 at 12:03 am #

Chrissy, I am just going back through your old entries and am obsessed with your blog! My best friend and I play a game called “best bite” but we do it with a single meal. (It is especially great with In-N-Out cheeseburgers!) We have to declare the best bite of the meal right after we have taken the bite, and if one of us are wrong, we have to buy the next meal for the other person! I have gotten several people hooked on this game. :)
    I am definitely trying this recipe soon! Thanks for all your amazing recipes.