le sigh.

26 Sep

Vacation is over. After 2 hours of unpacking, I now find myself in bed with my farty, snoring bulldog. The closet is back to fully organized…everything back on the bathroom shelves (labels out, of course), and the hair extensions have been brushed, washed, and hung to dry. By the way, I tweeted something about me having a “weave” in for the amFAR event and people went kinda nutzo. “You wear a WEAVE??” “Women are so fake now!” “Why would you have to wear extensions that is gross”. One, why so concerned? Two, it’s just an accessory to make my hair a little thicker at the ends. My shit’s long already. That’s what she said. I have a hairstylist pop em in (or in Italy’s case, GLUE them in, which I hate), and in 20 minutes, you have super fabulous, thick, wavy hair. And if you MUST know, that blue dress I wore…this one…

…was SO tight at the bust that the lovely stylists at dSquared and I decided it would be a great way to cover what would surely be an unsightly patch of boob fat in my armpit area. It worked right? See! So if that’s not a good enough reason to add a little extra hair, then I dunno what is.

But whatever. HEY this isn’t a hair blog dammit why am I so random, let’s get to the good stuff. I will be posting photos of allll our Italian meals a couple times a day all week. Get excited….key words include pig’s lard ravioli, blueberry soufflé, white truffle, baked mozzarella wrapped in parma ham, ohhhhhhhh you will see.

Aaaah vacations. I get VERY noticeably upset the last night of a vacation. Not just sad. Completely and utterly upset. Cranky. Snappy. Your basic bitch, really. In the past 5 years, John has come to understand that this is more just general frustration with knowing that it is time to get back to figuring out what to do with myself. I’ve definitely hit that quarter-life crisis and this vacation had me cringing, just knowing that I really need to get my butt in gear now and figure out a life past modeling. It’s a “glamorous problem” to some, sure. I have been really lucky. But I also skipped college, as most models do since it’s their prime, and there is just such a short window for steady, great work.

So….I am going to go to culinary school. I will be that girl with all the kids who are straight outta high school, the one that is clearly out of place because she barely knows how to write with a pen anymore, it’s been so long. But I’m really excited. Completely confused and nervous, but excited.

That little journey should spice this blog up a bit :)

But until then, here’s to amateur cooking and professional eating!

x

58 Responses to “le sigh.”

1. Vanessa Soares September 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Hope u guys had so much fun!!! Can’t wait for next posts! Kisses from Brazil.

2. Laura September 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Congratulations!! :D You will blow those straight-out-of-high-school students out of the water!

3. Pepper September 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

That is awesome. If it makes you feel better re: missing out on college, there’s all these awesome articles coming out now about how student debt is the highest it’s ever been, and a liberal arts degree isn’t worth the paper your degree is printed on like thanks NYT I got it I will die alone in a box fuck you.
    Long story short, I wish you all the luck in the world in your new endeavour, and I can’t wait to read about it here. Unless you start another blog called Food School Confidental or something.

4. Sarah September 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Congratulations Chrissy! You will be amazing.

5. manie September 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Wow, that’s awesome Chrissy! Love reading your blog and hopefully this means you will be, ahem…more dedicated? Hah, kidding. Best wishes!

6. sgender September 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

That’s awesome! Congrats! Can’t wait to hear more about it.

7. madi September 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

I love that blue dress so much! so so much.

8. Sara September 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

That is so exciting!! As food is such a passion for you (and me) you will be great. Can’t wait to watch the journey unfold.

9. chrissyteigen September 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

mannn. thanks guys. really. will you come to my graduation please and you can load me up with leis around my neck like people in hawaii even if I don’t go to school in hawaii? please please pleassssse

10. Becky C September 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

I have a few things to ask/say…

1. What hair extensions do you use they are lush!

2. Who is your blue dress by?

3. You are a stunning creature, and look amazing.

4. Huge congrats to you on deciding to go to culinary school! No doubt you will rock it like a boss. I recently returned to university so i can relate. Exciting new adventure for you. Goodluck with it x

• chrissyteigen September 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

1. i have no idea. i had nothing to do with them. haha sorry.

2. dress is dSquared and it also comes in black which is even more sheer.

3. thank you, really. that is way too sweet.

4. thank you AGAIN! I am really, really excited. it’s kind of complicated, as I have to figure out how to get the best experience possible, but we will see! I will keep you guys with me the whole way :)

• Becky C October 5, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Aaah you replied! Thank you! :) you just made my day. I swear im a huge fan! Love your blog too. Ok I’ll stop now. :)

11. actorsdiet September 26, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

i always get the p.v.b’s (post vacay blues)
    good luck in culinary school! very exciting!

12. John September 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Sorry to rain on the parade. Chrissy, you are a writer. You have a gift. Run with it. I read everything I can get my hands on. You are really good at this. Kick it around, and good luck. And Thanks for all the funny stuff you write.

13. Edith September 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

A mother of two is going to college… there has to be financial aid for that. : ) Your going to be successful, pursuing something that you love to do Chrissy. That cajun rub is going to take you to the top of your class. : ) I had respect for you before but taking a leap of faith in going to culinary school really shows that you my blogging friend, are a class act. All the best to you in your culinary journey!

14. Krystle September 26, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

So happy and excited for you! Culinary school I my dream!

15. M & R September 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

culinary school sounds awesome. excited to follow along on your journey! And live vicariously through you :)

16. Christina September 26, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

You look beautiful. I love this post. Have to say it sums me up pretty well also. Hate the end of vacations (MEGA bitchy, like it is not normal), and I too am starting out new schooling at 25. Scary ass stuff. I am going to be an esthetician. I just wanna give people facials all day (thats what he said?!). Congrats on culinary school! You seem to have such a passion for food. You will be great, and all those lucky students in your classes, I am sure you will keep them laughing! =)

17. Michael Famico September 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

Congrats (belated) on the anniversary. Also, good for you for taking on a new adventure with the culinary classes! When will we be seeing you on The Chew? When Chef Mario Batali learns of your rave review of his Eataly and your passion for cooking, you’ll be a shoe-in for the show! I have wanted to ask you your rating/thoughts on your indoor grill. I’m getting one, and it looks like your model is the one to get. And lastly, which culinary school are you looking at?

18. jenni65 September 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

Good luck in Culinary School! I love reading your recipes and reviews! I’m impressed that you are looking to your future realistically, if Iooked like you I’d think I could model for many more years! I can’t wait to read about your new adventure.

19. Folashade September 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Hello Chrissy, I’m a fairly new reader and I think it’s super cool you’re going to Culinary school. My mom went after she had 4 kids so you’re definitely not old or the oldest to go back to school. Anyways best of luck and I really enjoy your blog and tweets. You’re hilarious, you’d be good for a cooking show.

Alright I’m done rambling. Over and out.

20. Jasmine C. (@JasAlexia) September 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

uGH!When I read that you were going to culinary school I JUMPED IN THE AIR with excitement (scared the shit out of my puppy, but so worth it) It just seems so…right. Kudos to you for having the balls to do something you love. Mario Batalli lives in my building, if you want I can club him and force him to spill all he knows to ya :)

Congrats Chrissy!

21. hudsonka September 26, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Yay! Culinary school definitely seems like a fitting route for you. I’m excited to see the posts on the blog along the way!

22. Gina September 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Culinary school is a perfect fit for you! I can totally see you as a food critic/journalist. Or with your own very hilarious cooking show. You’d blow toothy Giada out of the water!

Congrats on your big life choice! I know I don’t know you but I’m excited for you. That’s weird. But it’s true. :-)

23. catvoncat September 26, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

I am now dying to see a celebrity version of Hell’s Kitchen with you as one of the competitors. Congratulations!

24. twheetybird September 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

You are living my dream girl!! Culinary school!! Soooooooo excited for you!!! And I am looking forward to the blogging!! I will be here waiting patiently!!

We won’t have you to ourselves for very long… :( our little secret will be out the minute you hit facebook!

Its all good though! The very best of luck Chrissy, because you would wish each and every person following you on this blog and the good ones on twitter the very same :).

Please don’t ever fall out of love with John, you are great for him and of course him for you! This is the love story I will tell my baby girl about :). You know Zia (my daghter) Chrissy and John have been together for 50 years! Etc.<« Lol ;)

Any-duvet (any-whoo), Great Luck with your venture, and who says you can only go to college at a certain age?! In fact (experience speaking) you are better off now as you know the world! And you have tasted some of the best and some of the worst food offered!

Oh…typos…its 4am ;).

Love you broken girl! Love you long time!

oxo

25. jluke82 September 26, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

Congratulations! I do hope you keep writing though, i think you have something as a writer that you aren’t fully aware of.

Also, the 18 year old boys fresh out of high school in your culinary classes may be slightly distracted…just sayin.

26. Cydonie September 27, 2011 at 12:06 am #

going back to the extensions. I prefer to wear wigs. I am sooo in love with Wendy Williams wigs. Regarding a career change, yes, I agree. Obviously, you love food and it’s your passion.

Like my daddy always said, “DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND THE MONEY WILL COME”.. live your passion..
    rooting for you from Las vegas

27. Taylor September 27, 2011 at 12:20 am #

I had a quarter century crisis. Just so you know, most of us in culinary school are older. Not geizer old but in our mid-20′s. We all had career changes. All the 18 year olds I’ve seen so far just can’t cut it. It’s mean, it’s aggressive, it’s quick paced, and it is one of the hardest things ive ever done. It’s worth it. I hope you enjoy this new crazy life your about to experience as much as I do!

28. Legally Fabulous September 27, 2011 at 12:48 am #

I’m sure you’ll do awesome at culinary school… but I’ve got to echo what one of the previous commenters said – you’ve got a knack for writing. Your blog and tweets absolutely crack my shit up to no end. Hoping that this culinary school adventure will you give you more stuff to blog about, because I love reading it!
    Congrats on your new journey!

29. pippatea September 27, 2011 at 1:28 am #

Congrats! Great idea!

30. Ingryy:) September 27, 2011 at 1:29 am #

You are amazing!! I commend you for doing what you love, you inspire me! :) btw, college isn’t all it’s cracked up to be..

31. Thabitha September 27, 2011 at 1:55 am #

Hey Chrissy, glad to hear you’re back and you’ll be in touch with us a lot more :). You’ve got my thumbs up for cullinary school. I, myself have been contemplating taking cooking lessons but cant find the time. Im wishing you all the best and hope you do well, and hopefully we can see you on Food Network.

Keep on blogging.

Thabitha, from South Africa (Joburg)
    (Sending hugs to JL there :)

32. LizScott September 27, 2011 at 9:23 am #

Hey, that’s totally awesome. Figuring out what to do in life isn’t a “glamorous” problem; it’s a big fucking deal. Really cool that you are able to isolate other parts of yourself outside of modeling and get to chase them down.

Like everyone else, I’m excited for you … and for me, cause that means there will be more blogging for me to read :)

re the weave: a) it looks hot so whatever and b)… i love how people are like “HOW DARE YOU CHEAT ON ME WITH THAT WEAVE NOTHING IS REAL I CAN’T TRUST ANYTHING ANYMORE. Haaa. I love it.

33. Lauren September 27, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Congratualtions!! How great it is to see successful, beautiful women acknowledge the importance of also being educated and passionate! I adore reading your blog and following along with your hillarious stories. Can’t wait to see where you’ll take us all along for the ride next! And that blue dress is AMAZING – if I had the long legs to strut out of that gianormous slit up the side, I would wear it every day of my life. And also note, if I had some sort of hairstylist who could help me understand how to stick long, lush extensions into my head I’d rock those too!

34. Michelle September 27, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Yeah!!! Congrats on going to culinary school Chrissy!!! I’m so excited for you. You are the first person I followed on Twitter, and my favorite btw. You keep it reeeeeal girl.

I can’t wait to hear about your school adventures and I wish you nothing but the best!

Love,
    Michelle

35. ashley September 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Congrats on going back to school :o). I am 24 and I finally realized that going to school to become an Esthetician is the right path for me. I have never been a fan of the “college” thing.
    You know, learning crap your not going to use, taking Math to become a writer… never made any sense to me. I too love cooking and had thought about culinary but I didn’t have the $$$ the Art Institute of Seattle was trying to rob me of. Best of luck to you, you will do great!

36. Lanizzle September 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Anybody else think Chrissy and John should have a reality show??? Hurry up already!

• Kat September 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Hi Chrissy, last year, I left a well-paying software engineering job to go to Culinary School for 9 months at 31. I was definitely not the oldest person there. I felt completely out of my element but I learned so much! Congrats and your blog makes me laugh a lot.

37. Bobby Tumpak (@btumpak) September 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

good luck in school! You will be great!

38. Hannahh September 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to read about your culinary school adventures. Second careers are inspiring.

I stumbled upon this article right after reading your blog post.

Do you want to become a chef, food writer, food stylist, restaurant owner, etc.? Or are the specifics still up in the air?

Good luck!!

39. marianwrites September 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

congratulations!! good for you for pursuing your passion and thinking about your career. love the blog, and thank you for your honesty!

40. CC September 27, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

I am so excited for you! The best thing about education is it’s a gift you give yourself that you will have forever. I see a very bright future for you…cooking wonderful food, books, the TODAY show (I’m biased since that’s what I watch in the morning before I go to work), your own cooking show….move over Anthony Bourdain here comes Chrissy! You are such a great writer who writes from her heart with honesty and passion. You can’t beat that!

41. iz September 28, 2011 at 9:45 am #

where did you learn how to write so well? you are so hilarious and witty, i love it. so excited that you’re going to culinary school! have you decided which one you will be attending? btw, what’s your makeup/skincare routine? what do you use? always flawless :)

42. Lizzie September 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

Culinary school?! That’s awesome!!! Can’t wait fir those posts! And maybe eat at a restaurant of yours one day!

43. casallina September 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Chrissy, I’m loving your blog — so refreshingly honest and funny. Hair extensions are fun. I don’t know why some people get so offended by them. Good luck with culinary school… I’ve been wanting to take some cooking classes too!

44. JIll September 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

You’ll love culinary school I hope, because cooking is a passion for you! I didn’t enjoy my undergrad because it wasn’t my passion, and as someone else said – your 1st degree doesn’t get you too far anymore.

Congrats, and good luck! :)

45. Kacie September 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

congrats chrissy — that’s so exciting! you must open a restaurant where you serve all these delicious dishes you cook and post pictures of :).

46. Heather September 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

Congrats about figuring out what your gonna do with your life!! Lucky :) I’m 31 and i’m still not sure I know what I want to do when I grow up. I wish you huge amounts of luck in your big adventure and I hope you post everything that you learn (mostly so I can go to pseudo culinary school without payin for it!!) XO

47. nashley September 30, 2011 at 3:51 am #

Um….I got so excited when you said “weave.” I started preparing your invite for the secret society a black girls. I kept wondering if it was clipped on, glued in or sewed in. This may be intrusive but its the internet so let me intrude – what hair do you use? I’ve used extensions plus for a long time and I like but am curious.

48. nashley September 30, 2011 at 3:53 am #

And now I feel awkward because I was so focused on your comments that I didn’t read the rest of your post. Culinary school is awesome and reminds me of Iron Chef. You should do a post on your favorite cooking shows if you watch them.

49. Mawla September 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Congratulations Chrissy! Please do keep writing and being hilarious. It’s great to have a really funny female voice out there. I agree with all the commenters above who say that you have a talent for writing.

50. Tiffany October 1, 2011 at 9:03 am #

What a cool idea. You would be a perfect candidate due to your LOVE of food :) yay good luck!!!!!

51. Kendall October 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Congrats Chrissy! That’s so exciting! You’ll do amazing!! :)

52. Mawla October 4, 2011 at 5:39 am #

Lorraine Pascale is a food writer/ TV presenter in the UK. She used to be a model and then she opened a bakery in London. Thought she might be of interest to you!

53. becs October 15, 2011 at 8:39 am #

i happily read this post a few weeks ago through my email, but never came to the site to comment. then i come here this morning and you’ve got 55 comments of praise! i love all the much-deserved love you are getting, especially after seeing all the hate ppl have spewed at you on twitter and formspring!

chrissy, congrats on culinary school! nothing but joy for you. thank you for sharing your writing talent and cooking passion (in addition to your beauty) with all of us. i know going forward you will have increasingly larger platforms with which to share your adventures with the world. and clearly, you have a community of strangers, both male and female, rooting for you.

I’m sure ppl have already pointed you to “the sharper the knives, the less you cry,” but i know your audience would love to read about your culinary school exploits not only in blog form but also in a book (we would buy!). hopefully at the end of your next vacation, you won’t get so upset because you can clearly see you’ll have quite the post-model professional life: novels, cookbooks, tv shows, restaurants, etc. xoxo

54. agate cameos pendant March 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on numerous websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!|

55. Google sucks March 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Many thanks for writing this helpful article..Loved your content. Remember to do maintain writing