15 minutes

11 Aug

If you have yet to try the SUPER easy cajun catfish recipe from earlier in the blog days, you are missing out! Not only is it the easiest shit ever (I love recipes where the first step is “combine the first 7 ingredients”) but it’s so flavorful and you’re quite proud of yourself for having you last meal of the day not be pasta or potatoes….stuff that just sittttts in your belly as you sleep and turns into chub times. Really — if you gotta have pasta or a hearty potato dish, do it for lunch! I dunno, that’s how I operate at lease. Anyhow what the hell was I talking about again? Sometimes I literally have to look back up at the title I entered. Ok so 15 minutes, yes. Do it!

Catfish recipe here: http://sodelushious.com/2011/07/08/meeeow-baked-cajun-catfish/

This time around, I decided to do what I call the best-by-date fridge clean out. I’ve had this bok choi sitting for much too long, and my bell peppers, red onions, and portobellos were looking a little on the “we’re going towards the light” side.

While your catfish is baking and is at the 7 minutes-of-baking moment (fully cooked at 11/12 minutes at the MOST even for a big guy!), heat your wok with a tablespoon or so of oil and  after it gets hot, add as much garlic as you love…make sure you get that nice crackling sound. I’m ridiculous and I use about 3 or 4 cloves, minced. Heat up the oil and garlic together on medium/high heat. Add the veggies and toss (I like to use a soft spatula to toss everything around gently). Keep heating until the veggies are at a consistency you like….I like my bok choi whites to be crispy but my mushrooms, onions and bellpeppers between crispy and slightly soft). If you’d like, do as I do and drizzle a bit of soy sauce as you sauté. Mmmmm me so asian.

Anyhoo. Garnish with some lemon (your catfish will be salty and this will cut it a bit and just add to the overall flavor) and you have a meal!

And before you say it, I suck with presentation. This pisses me off daily. But I swear, it’s good dammit.

x

8 Responses to “15 minutes”

1. Kelsey August 11, 2011 at 10:31 pm #

Chrissy, get Instagram! I have it on my phone and it is free. It turns the most mundane stuff into awesome pictures. Look at my post in an hour or so…you will find my beef beautiful, I swear :) Anyway, once I figure out where to buy catfish in Idaho, I am making this. Thank you!

In the most non-creepy way possible, I use your twitter to wake up every morning. I HATE getting out of bed, so I grab my phone and force myself to stay awake by reading your tweets. Gradually my eyes wake up and I am awake. So I think I owe you for getting to work on time. Ha!

• Colie August 12, 2011 at 8:23 am #

That’s hilarious I do the same thing in the morning to wake up!!

2. YayPanda August 12, 2011 at 12:34 am #

your blog seriously makes my day. no joke.

btw, are those the tiny baking trays from eataly in the last picture?!?! next time i’m out in nyc i am SO.THERE.

3. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) August 12, 2011 at 7:23 am #

I have a tangential question…after you cook do you hate the smell of food in your home like I do…if so what do you use, I use those bead crystal things and get this brand from Bed Bath Beyond called First Wave I think….sorry to go off course but curious as I cook like you do with flavorful stuff….lol and maybe I am the weird one, after I eat it I don’t want to smell it.

4. Lauren Elizabeth August 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Question! Is there another fish that works well with this? I have an aversion to catfish ever since I saw my uncle try to kill one; that sucker did not want to leave this world. Though it has been a while, so I could give it another go, but until I psych myself up for that, any recommendations?!

5. Alicia Easter (@SASS_APPEAL) August 18, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Hey Chrissy! So I made this except with Tilapia because Whole Foods did not have catfish. It turned out AMAZING if I do say so myself. I sauteed asparagus as a side along with baby bella mushrooms, green & red bell peppers, red onions in a garlic vinager sauce I created. I can’t wait to make it for my man in a few weeks! Thanks for being so awesome and I love your blog!!!

6. Dana October 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I made this last night and it was sooo good!

1. Tilapia, the Feel Good Fish | Westchester Foodie - August 14, 2011

[...] be. I’d gotten some fantastic tomatoes and wanted to use them before started getting that “we’re going toward the light” shrivelly thing going on (to paraphrase my new favorite author). I just didn’t know what to [...]