EATALY

10 Aug

I don’t even….I can’t….I have no idea what to even say about this place.

It was like an amusement park for food lovers. Except instead of those overpriced 12 dollar churros at Disneyland, it’s a 24 dollar small wedge of cheese.

I have been hearing amazing things from everyone I know about this place, and it STILL did not do it justice…

If you’re in NYC…just go. I don’t know what else to say. You don’t have to buy things to have fun. But you should probably agree to the glass of wine as you shop…

in the bag? that would be a dog butt.

I didn’t even need tomatoes. but this…this made me buy tomatoes.

have a hankering for a shitload of mushrooms you’ve never heard of? go to Eataly!

something I also didn’t need? 20 shallots braided onto a vine. bought it.

gotta figure out something to do with these now too. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

…someone isn’t quite as excited as I was.

they makea da mozzarella righta in front ofa you!

mistake: going during lunch time. cart-hating eaters abound.

this is where i had an excitement heart attack.

white wine makes me feel nauseous. this did not stop me from accepting.

a little confused about this cart situation. everything in the place was so beautiful and modern yet rustic and just…went. This? this ugliness made no sense to me. Although it’s one-handed turning ability (wine glass) was impeccable!

[insert large sausage joke here]

drugs and truffles. what arrrrre things you pay for by the ounce, Alex.

I return from my big shoot September 2nd around 3pm. I should be able to make it here, to this section, by 430.

explaining how large I need my pork belly to be. BACON CURING WEEK!

my “I freaking love this place” face

annnnnnnnnnnnnnything? *strokes beard*

got my pork! now I just need to find pink curing salts…which the butcher told me are “heavily regulated and hard to find”. heavily regulated?? this makes me want it more. and more of it. i will find you, salts.

someone woke up in the meat department. always hungry, this kid.

I. LOVE. TINY. BAKING. DISHES. goodbye money.

and finally, this spicy sopressata had no chance of making it home.

phew.

Eataly NYC

200 Fifth ave
New York, NY 10010
(646) 398-5100
Open Daily 11am-11pm

Subway: 23 St

39 Responses to “EATALY”

1. David August 10, 2011 at 9:59 am #

I’m not sure there are many things better than sopresseta that are edible and doesnt wear clothes.

2. Maggie August 10, 2011 at 10:04 am #

I went here last month and ate at all the mini restaurants! It was the beat afternoon. And al the fruits and veggies looked 100% better than any other market! I too saw the truffles and couldn’t believe the price! My fav restaurant was the pasta one and had an excellent lasagna. Did you eat at any of the places? Glad you enjoyed it!

3. Maggie August 10, 2011 at 10:06 am #

Oops best** and all** ;-)

4. Sara August 10, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Wow. I want to go. I want to go now. Why is Dallas so f-ing far away from NYC? And why is it so f-ing HOT????

5. Darcy Dietz August 10, 2011 at 10:12 am #

you could do a fast high-heat roast of the peppers (as you would any other bell pepper); throw it all into some grapeseed or olive oil, let it macerate (mash it up; get out your angst), then strain out the oil into one of those cute bottles you most likely have in your cupboards, and drizzle on fish or pizza. Sweet/hot/toasty flavour and will look good

6. twheetybird August 10, 2011 at 10:17 am #

I want. To. Go there!!! Your pictures are making me save for my loooooonngggg overdue US holiday!!!!aHhHhhHhh that cheeeeeeezzzze!!

7. Stephen Price August 10, 2011 at 10:18 am #

Glad I came here. It’s less a hard-core food blog and more you being you. Thanks for sharing your life.

8. Lee August 10, 2011 at 10:29 am #

This place looks awesome!!! I freaking love your blog! Awesome food AND hilarious supermodel! Doesn’t get much better haha

9. sami August 10, 2011 at 10:34 am #

Too much wine by the time you got to the sauage department?!

Looks amazing though. I would have died and gone to heaven with all that cheese!

10. merlin August 10, 2011 at 10:47 am #

wow wi wa wi WOW!

11. Chelle August 10, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Chrissy-love your blog-looking forward to using recipes for my family, especially once football season starts!

Great feature on the theybf.com today re: Esquire! Werk b^sh!!

12. Mark August 10, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

got both tired an hungry reading this, tired from the energy expended and hungry for obvious reasons.

13. actorsdiet August 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

i just went there recently and died:

heard they’re opening one up in LA!!!!

14. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) August 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

ok…sad we don’t have one where I am…on the white wine thing…have you given Sauvignon Blanc a shot…sure you have…can’t do Chardonnay but love SB!

15. Salt & Seaweed (@SaltandSeaweed) August 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

bahaha, you are hilarious. will totally be stopping there when in NYC next month– if ever in Charleston, SC– stop by my store and I will give you some amazing insight into where the best food comas can be had. http://www.saltandseaweed.com xo Jesse

16. aabrams1989 August 10, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

I have never been to New York and certainly do not have to money to go at this time, but somehow I find myself pricing airline tickets to leave as soon as I get off work to go to New York just to see this place in person. From what I can see, this is the type of place a person who loves food and cooking goes to spend all their life savings and die peacefully. :)

17. Melissa August 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

You have found Utopia. Oh. My. Word. Must plan pilgramage to the Mecca…

Whole Foods is meaningless to me now.

18. Ladylady August 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks for including us in this adventure, I am glad you made this food blog. ‘Tis delightful.

19. Jenny Fatz August 10, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

Absolutely love love LOVE your blogs. It is nice to know there are more girls out there that love food just as much as me! and you and your little dogs. cute.

20. Lynnet August 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

After hearing nothing but amazing things about Eataly, I finally tried it while I was out there last week. We had dinner on the rooftop, so pretty! And ps, I am SO jealous you guys have Shake Shack and Cali does not. That was another form of amazingness on its own.

21. tj August 10, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

slice open the peppers, remove the seeds. fill with a sauteed mixture of ground beef (or pork), garlic, shallot (use for your shallot), a little tomato paste and shredded cheese. roast at 375 for between 30-40 minutes depending on your oven.

• Big D August 10, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

pepper recipe, for evening of Sept 2

cook 1 regular package of breakfast sausage, all crumbled up. remove from heat. add one regular package of cream cheese, mix well. slice open peppers, lay them flat on baking pan, and fill them with sausage/cream cheese mix. cover with shredded mozzarella, and bake ~45 minutes at 350.

22. Cassandra August 11, 2011 at 9:05 am #

At my house we dry out the hot peppers and then fry them. I always walk by Eatly and never go in! Def can’t wait to go now :)

23. Francis August 11, 2011 at 10:29 am #

With the Italian peppers, Hang them up and dry them out. It’ll take a few weeks, they turn red/orange and get all wrinkly. Then when they’re dried out cut off the tops take out the seeds and then prep a pan with olive oil and salt and try them. It’ll crisp them up and you can eat them or use it like crushed red pepper.

24. Erin August 11, 2011 at 10:40 am #

I’ve always wanted to try this place out, what were the eat in menus like, too expensive?

25. Lorenzo August 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Oh, that first picture made the place look like “FATALY”, which coincidentally is what we call my house during pasta night.

26. Audrey August 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

For the peppers, do what The Vanderbilt in Brooklyn does:

Slice peppers in half lengthwise and remove the guts.
    Prepare a foil-lined bowl or dish for receiving blistered peppers.
    Using heat-proof tongs, hold the pepper halves one at a time over the flame of your gas stove (on high) until they start to char.
    Mix equal parts sweet paprika and medium-coarse kosher salt.
    Dip peppers in spice/salt mixture. Munch. Enjoy.

27. Amy (Minimally Invasive) August 13, 2011 at 1:46 am #

After your shoot, as soon as possible, go back on a Thursday for the porchetta (at the sandwich counter in the back). OMG. Crispy pork fat, garlic, and yeah, some meat, too…you’ll die. Possibly of heart attack, but more likely from pure joy.

28. Katrina LaLuna August 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Nice blog! Found it from TMZ.com :) Glad you’re OK after that crazy taxi shenanigans…

Those peppers are great in omelets! Just cut ‘em up, get rid of the seeds, and put in your omelet. I like to actually mix it *in* with the egg and then cut it up and put on a sandwich…yummmm!

29. Kristina August 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

Go back there, buy all the tomatoes and some fregola, and make this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2007/aug/18/weekend7.weekend6
    Best shit ever – I make a metric fuckton and then eat from it for weeks.

30. MitchS August 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

I love you, you are so funny, this blog made me laugh a few times

31. SitchM August 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

I think you might be my favourite female on the whole earth

32. Tim Weith October 14, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Wow, looks great. Visiting NYC next week, and added Eataly as a place to visit. Any suggestions for favorite restaurants, especially wine bars to hit?

33. Julie Bunganich October 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

I want to go to NYC specifically for this place! HEAVEN! Everything looks so GOOD.

34. Kelsey Buskirk February 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

Chrissy where did you get your dress?? I LOVE!!! Also, this post is amazing. I am going to NYC this summer to look at apartments and am DEFINITELY making a stop here :) Thank you for sharing!

1. Things I Like: August Edition | - August 11, 2011

[...] out one of my favorite recent posts. Let’s love her [...]

2. NYC food post #2: Eataly! « Don't ask me to smile… - October 16, 2012

[...] I’ve been hearing rave reviews about even before I had my trip planned. When Chrissy Teigen hilariously wrote about it, that pretty much decided it for me. If and when I go to NYC, I was visiting [...]