jerks and bacon.

6 Aug

Aaah so I am in one of my most favorite cities in the US of A, Chicago.

Lollapalooza is going on so the city is abuzz with people that I’m sure would be considered annoying to anyone that actually lives in Chicago….isn’t that how it always works? Anyhow, I don’t mind it, and since we are staying downtown, it makes for one of the more fun and exciting stops on the tour.

I will admit I was more than a bit bummed that my blog was kind of infiltrated by people who linked it from outside gossip sites (i can see where pretty much everrrryone comes from). Sites that already talk shit about out me, that call me a jobless tranny, my personal favorite. I said in a post that I like to cook for John because it is something I can really do for him since I can’t be equal to him financially….and that apparently just opened the doors to Assholia. No. I don’t have millions of dollars. They’re right. They got me there. But since I already said that part, it’s like they had to find other things to just completely dig at. “typical asian that gets with a man for money”. Typical asian? Jesus! What is wrong with people!

It’s really easy to say “just forget about them who cares they are jealous”. And I know everyone is just trying to help. I guess it is just something I will personally have to get over but I also think it’s okay to vent or be a little upset over it.

I know. Wah wah wah. It just sucked that even though I try my hardest not to ever know about what they say (people will tell me or link it to me even) those people still came here to say it.

Anyhow I really don’t want to drag on the sob story anymore, because it’s not one. I love my life and I am not complaining, please don’t think that….just venting. I just thought that I could have this and share things and share recipes and whatever random adventures I might encounter. And that few days of blocking and deleting comments sucked.

I cannot express how happy I am to read all yourrrrrr comments though, you know who you are. I really get happy when people share recipes or tell funny stories. I read everything and I guess that’s why I was so bummed….because this was making me so happy, then…WAH, jerk overload.

On a happier note, BACON!

My dad emailed me what seems to be….oh I don’t know…the most AMAZING DELICIOUS HOME CURED BACON EVER. My parents live in Thailand, and from the sounds of it, they have been making this delicious slab of pork belly for months now. I think I should call and check up on them more as their arteries are slowly clogging.

If you don’t AT LEAST click this link, you are bonkers. http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

I will be starting mine on monday. Would LOVVVVVVE if you guys did a bit of grocery shopping / killing innocent pigs and taking their bellies this weekend so we could start together….then all eat our delicious bacon the following Monday after the 7 days of curing. Oh it would make me so happy. Bacon party!

49 Responses to “jerks and bacon.”

1. Darcy Dietz August 6, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

wow, so many jerks, hey? I did that pork belly thing last week (I know, it isn’t bacon, but still eleventy-billion levels of awesomeness). Butcher knocked out a whole half belly for moi. I sous-vide’d the whole thing (in large chunks) for 3 days. Then deep fried some {large} bite size pieces, used some in a caesar salad, some in pasta, bbq’d some, and I think I kept enough to rub on myself in case my body didn’t quite get the porky-goodness from the inside. Made many friends.

2. Ron August 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Cindy made some, said it was awesome! Guess i’m going on a fresh pork belly search today.

3. Lizzie August 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Those stupid jerks!!!
    That Bacon sounds delicious! Can’t try it this week but hopefully some time soon.

4. Travis Thompson August 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Forget the jerks (easier said than done, right?).

You’re adored by a lot of people who admire you and John.

If people are mad at you, you must be doing something right.

More importantly, I’ll be traveling all week, so I’ll have to try this magical bacon recipe when I get home. But I can’t wait to see how yours turns out. It looks phenomenal.

Take care,

Travis

5. Joana August 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Welcome to Chicago!!! I hope you enjoy our beautiful city!! So much to do here, I hope you get to enjoy some of our delicious food. It doens’t matter if you are famous or not, people can be cruel with their comments. It is healthy to vent :).

6. Courtney Johnson August 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

My goodness. Never thought to try this, but looks like i’m gonna have to now! Your blog really isn’t good for my health…but i love it anyway! sigh…

7. Derek August 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Since you love bacon, I thought I would share this: http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I haven’t tried it yet, but it is in my near future… and then I will die of a heart attack! At least I will die happy!

8. Josh Gorfain (@JoshGorfain) August 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

That bacon looks awesome. And f@#k the haters; you are awesome and don’t forget that.

9. Kacie August 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

That is the most intense piece of bacon I have ever seen. I was in Chicago a couple weeks ago and ate at “Girl and the Goat”….you may have already been, but if you haven’t, go! Excellent food – not to mention, many meal items with pork belly ;)

10. lavieunrue August 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

“Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Feinstein. I adore this about you, your blog and John. Continue to inspire and be inspired.
    P.S. Speaking of bacon, this is next on my breaking model diet cook list – bacon bourbon brownies
    camillestyles.com/2011/08/04/recipe-for-a-southern-fete/

11. actorsdiet August 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

sorry about the haters. i get some too on my little blog with my little career so i can’t imagine what it must feel like for you. it’s a sign you’re very successful so keep on keeping on!

12. Chi August 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Hi Chrissy! You’re fabulous and I love your blog. I think you’re gorgeous too, both inside and out :) I’m glad you love your life, even though people might try to bring you down sometimes. I can relate. Anyway, thanks for entertaining me on Twitter! Take care.

13. chris August 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Don’t pay mind to those dicks. Sounds like you have a lot to share, and there are those folks that like to hear it. I liked your idea about putting cayenne pepper on mango. Goodstuff!

14. Ivana Imiliphotocom August 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Feeling like this only makes you human!:-)
    People hating on you like this makes you a star, unfortunately but it´s true!;-)

Love BACON! YUMMY! Who needs a recipes for that piece of bacon?
    I grew up eating raw like that with some bread on the side, YUM! :-)

15. Kendall Mercer (@kendall516) August 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Chrissy! Your blog is so REFRESHING! I love it! And I mean, really, isn’t my opinion the only one that counts? ha ha ;) keep blogging!

16. Melissa August 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

I love Chicago.. it’s the one big thing I miss since moving from the Midwest. Have lots of fun for me so I can live vicariously through you this weekend.

As far as the asshattery that some people do to you, I just don’t get it, and I guess I never will. They must find themselves hilarious in their sad little lives. I like when you call them out on it.

Anyway, I think you’re hilarious and I love that
    you love bacon. You’ve inspired me to try new recipes and share with the world what I eat. That is all.

17. Scott Duckson (@scottduckson) August 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

Love the recipes and I don’t cook. you make it easy and that’s awesome! You gotta remember that we live in a society that has 24/7 news content. TV, RADIO, INTERNET and BLOGS. And they all gotta have content. Don’t be surprised when haters post crap about you. They want people to follow them. You gotta have thick skin!

18. meg August 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

You really should include a post about how to eat like this and LOOK LIKE YOU. I have a feeling we’re all going to be 200lbs by the time you’re done with us. Now…I have a date with Whole Foods and my kitchen this evening. Let’s see what comes of it.

19. melissamooney August 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

You are beyond hilarious and, though most are horribly awful, I was introduced to your twitter feed by a gossip blog. Oh, that sentence was maybe confusing: Gossip blogs are usually horribly awful, you on twitter is just pure hilarity! And this blog is great, I’m a weirdo vegetarian but I still love to see all the recipes– and try some of the animal-filled ones out on my meat eating friends and boyfriend. But really I’m here for your commentary…and Pippa’s dead legs…

20. becs August 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

Chrissy, know you are loved.

While in Chicago, my fav cheaper foodie spot is Belly Shack in Wicker Park. Korean-owned Korean food with an American twist. Hotdog, Korean Beef, French Fries, and Caramel Salted Ice Cream are musts. Put diet on a momentary hiatus.

21. djsapiens August 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Since you’re a gal who enjoys food, bacon, alcohol, and food, hopefully you’ve discovered the brilliance of Epic Meal Time on youtube. A new “recipe” every week.

22. sean smith (@seanrude) August 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

The Pink Salt in the recipe on the Ruhlman blog is essential. It is kind of a pain in the ass to find, but specialty butcher shops will usually sell you some. You should check out Michael Ruhlman’s cookbook called Charcuterie. It is stuffed with curing, drying, fermenting, pickling and brining recipes, plus tons of homemade sausage recipes. I am slowly working my way through every recipe in the book.

If you have access to a smoker, you should smoke the bacon after the cure. It adds another dimension of flavor.

• chrissyteigen August 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

mmmm i ave no smoker :( ljdsjsdklgjdslgks yes i’m on a pink salt mission now! i could tell from the comments that it wasn’t just something you could substitute. thanks for the tips!

• Dean August 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

You can cold smoke by setting the smoking ingredients on fire in a pan, then smothering them out with another pan, then put the smoking pan in your oven with your meat. Faster you do it, the less smoke throughout your apartment.

23. Chad August 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Forget them! Love your blog. Keep it up!

24. alexox August 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

Please ignore those fools. They’re most likely frustrated, broke, ugly, and hate their lives -because people who aren’t don’t have the time or energy or even the thought process to think those types of sentiments about other people. That. Is. All. Oh, and I like your blog, especially when you include helpful tidbits like how we can also spread that garlic paste all over our bodies.

25. Sashi August 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

I was just craving green beans sauteed in bacon fat. YUM. My fav to eat when I was a kid. Found this recipe with good reviews:

26. Melissa August 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Awwww Chrissy…..don’t listen to those jerks they know NOTHING (or at least not anything that would support their comments) about your relationship. Those of us who DO like you and DO support you are so appreciative of your tweets and now your fabulous blog. We’ll scare them away :) LOL.
    Anyway, I looove bacon but just found out I have gall stones and can’t eat barely any fat. UGH!! So I will be living through you and looking at your recipes and pictures while my mouth is watering.

27. Tyler Durden August 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

You might not make as much as John, but im pretty sure you make alot more then the hater..And my guess is that they are jealous of you, how you look, what you earn, who you date and that you get to travel allover the world eating amazing food. When all they can afford is to only take 6 of their 13 kids to the nearest mcd once a month!

28. Denise Miller August 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Ignore EM Chrissy, my recently departed Dad always said, if they r talking abt u that means u r worth talking abt. Now did u get that popcorn? Chicago is my fave US city. I spent 6 months there working and staying at the Blackstone hotel. If u can try Sunda, MK restaurants!

29. Candace August 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

Who cares what those A-holes say!!! I’d have never thought the girl from the Alloy catalog (slightly embarrassed because I still receive it, but not really) was so funny and I love knowing that you like to eat and use all the “potty” words I only think in my head (well sometimes they slip out). Haters gon’ hate!! I’ll still keep stopping by to see what deliciousness has gone on and to laugh cause I think you are Hi-larious!!!

30. Christina August 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

I’ve been reading your blog since day one and it is by far my favorite. It is the perfect combo of yummy food pics, great recipes, puppies, hot man ;), humor and your pretty face. Forget the haters, they are just sad people that take the time to seek you out and talk smack. Lame trolls. Oh and p.s. my Jersey Shore party was so much drunken fun! “Ron-Ron juice” was a smashing sucess. Hope yours went well!

31. Brandi Applegate August 6, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

The internet really does make the world seem like it’s full of insane sociopaths, no? Keep being yourself and doing what you do, because you do it so well! Love the blog and your witty remarks on twitter ^_^

Are you coming with John and Sade to Norfolk in September?? The hubby and I are looking forward to the concert!

32. Kathy August 6, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

umm, well I must admit that I did come across your site through one of the gossip blogs, but this one had nothing but nice things to say about you and how f-cking funny you are. So I wanted to check it out and I concur – you are pretty f-cking funny!
    It is interesting to me for people to take the time to actually read your entries only make such awful comments. Oh well, I suppose when you don’t have a life, it is easy to lash out anonymously to those who do.
    If this makes you and your readers happy – keep it up and thanks for sharing the recipes you like, so here is my contribution: Sweet Rice Flour Coated Thinly Sliced Beef (sorry about the flour) http://weekofmenus.blogspot.com/2009/06/sweet-rice-flour-coated-thinly-sliced.html.
    All the best.

33. catvoncat August 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

If it helps, just try to remember that when trolling assholes come to your blog or your Twitter feed to talk shit about you, it really is not about you at all. It’s about them being unhappy and seeking out some way to feel important. Attacking people they don’t know, especially women, on the internet is the easiest and safest way for them to feel powerful and get the attention they crave. The crap they spew is a reflection on them; not on you. Happy, well-adjusted people do not behave that way. Give ‘em the finger and go on enjoying your fabulous life.

34. Ingrid Sanchez :) August 7, 2011 at 12:08 am #

Aww we all have haters Chrissy don’t worry about it, you got to many good things goin’ for ya to give these hoes a second thought.. :)

35. twheetybird August 7, 2011 at 12:22 am #

I will say this again, you are amazing and you ARE doing your own thing, which should already be getting you millions! (Don’t start charging for the blogs!) LOL. I love you Chrissy!! And rant all you like, we understand. We do it too! Human nature!

36. Tracey August 7, 2011 at 6:05 am #

I cannot even imagine the smell in my kitchen if I made my own bacon. But I can’t wait to experience it!

And, since I started following you on twitter, you have been my favourite follow! I love that you love food, are hilarious and call out the asses that take advantage of the anonymity of the internet. You have so many fans, so try to focus on us whenever the trolls come out!

37. Barbara August 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

I love your blog and ignore the ignorants! I’m new to the cooking world (I’m still learning names and etc!) so to see somebody who’s not a professional giving tips it’s awesome, I feel that it’s really approachable, and I feel that if a regular person can do it I also can…It might not turn great on the first time but I’ll practice until it’s satisfying! I hope that you can understand what i said since I’m not fluent in english! So yeah, keep up with the blog!
    All the best.

38. Joe Blackburn (@BigDroz75) August 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

I know most people don’t think bacon when they think of Thai food, but when I was in college I dated a Thai girl and we went to her family’s house and her mother made this dish with Chinese broccoli, deep fried bacon (yes, you read that correctly) and a chili sauce that very well may have been the best thing I have ever eaten. I love bacon in general but this was on a whole other level.

As far as the dickheads go, i think it’s funny when you say shit back to them. I didn’t even know who you were until I got Twitter about a month ago and someone told me to follow you. Now, I don’t follow any chick because she’s hot (I mean, who fucking cares on Twitter?). I did it just to see if a model really could be funny. I totally agree with the girl that told me to follow that you are one of the funniest and most interesting people I follow. All of that is to say that it is understandable that people making personal attacks sucks, but when I say fuck them, I don’t mean you should pretend to ignore them. I just mean, don’t let them get in your head. Interrupting your happiness is their goal.

If you were saving the world, someone would find a way to criticize you.

• chrissyteigen August 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

WHOA. asking my mom for recipe now. thank you! haha the best part about low carb is bacon has ZERO CARBS!!

39. Becckitt August 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

I read your rant about how easy it is to cook, and how everyone should do it, and I couldn’t agree more! In fact, I was so inspired that I broke out of my laziness-induced no cooking phase, got my ass into the kitchen, and made a delicious soup. It’s low key, but it’s a start! The recipe’s here if you want to check it out: http://meetmehalfway2011.blogspot.com/2011/08/rainy-days-long-runs-and-mexican-soup.html

40. Deia August 8, 2011 at 2:17 am #

I am one of the people that ended up here because of a gossip site. I was referred to your twitter and ended up here! So not all if that traffic was in hate (just the LOUD ones!)
    Anyhoo, I think you are more than adorable and quite clever.
    I don’t cook much, (I am extremely lucky to live with family who are constantly messing around with the goodness from our garden) but I do love reading about everything you cook up, and I love reading your insights on stuff. You’re a breath of fresh air, and you have spectacular taste!
    I’ve been eating peaches and nectarines with cayenne pepper on ‘em for a couple weeks now, everyone looks at me like I’m insane until they try them. Then they worship at the tower if “spicy/sweet” like the good lord intended.
    Rock on Chrissy, I think you may just be too funny/hot/smart/gourmet for some people to handle.
    Enough ass kissing: I was piiiiissed when you took forever to continue your blog! All is forgiven. Glad your back

41. olja August 10, 2011 at 3:48 am #

please, please, please don’t let troll-speak get to you! i love your twitter and this blog, and i love seeing what puddy and pippa get up to! and i love your recipe suggestions – i recently tried out the homemade twix bars, and they were amazing! not shit sticks at all (or whatever it was you called them), and am looking forward to smoking my own pancetta.
    i found out about your twitter from wwtdd, so not all those of us who found out about you via gossip sites are knobjockeys.

42. Tonya January 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

Hello, commenting because I don’t want to just seem like a blog stalker, but I have been reading your blog for like the last hour I think! (Your blog is a wonderful respite from my daughter playing Shakira’s She Wolf with her plastic recorder) You should have a beginners dish of the month. I swear I am so basic! Raw chicken scares me, but I have to say that your blog is inspiring.Forget all of the trolls, everyone has something to say about anything, Jeesh. Thanks for sharing your skills.

43. Tam Pham May 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

I absolutely love your honesty, your humor, your recipes..i’ve been obsessed with reading your blog since I found it yesterday! I already have a list of all the new things I want to cook this weekend! It’s absolutely refreshing to read a blog by a model who LOVES to eat–for joy, who LOVES food, and who’s witty and smart! And as for those hateful words from the jerks–shame on them! Can’t wait to read your new posts!

44. free webcams shows April 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Hello! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m
    undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

45. Kielah October 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Chrissy I don’t know if you will ever see this, but I can hope. I am so in love with this blog, you and John. I mean as much as someone can be without ever meeting you guys (not meant to sound as creepy as it came out). Anyways, I have always loved John’s music and at first when I found out about you, I like so many others I am sure, was a little heart broken that he was taken. But honestly since reading your blog and getting to know more about you, I think I almost love you more than John and his beautiful music, or at least just as much. ;) You are so relate able, and your blog makes me laugh and salivate at the same time. I will forever be a fan of both of you and wish you nothing less than all the happiness in the world. I hope you start writing some more blog posts soon as I have read every thing that you have posted so far and tried most of the recipes.

Now I know how much you love cheese and bacon, I mean WHO DOESN’T?! So I have a recipe to share with you. I can only hope you will make it but if you do I hope that you will let me know if you enjoyed it. It is beyond simple and SO SO addicting. It’s also a heart attack waiting to happen so eat in moderation or share with family because my boyfriend and I made this for dinner once instead of as an appy like it’s intended and I could feel my arteries clogging with every bite, but in the BEST way :)
    I call this amazing, but bad for you deliciousness “Flinstone Loaf” Yes, like “THE Flinstones” because it is all man food, meat and cheese and you bake it in a bowl and rip it apart with your hands… at least I think it’s why we call it that in my family. Easy is an understatement when referring to the difficulty in preparing this dish, but sometimes simple is everything!!!
    You will need one pack of cream cheese , 1 – 500ml of sour cream, half a cup to a cup of chopped green onion, 2 or more cups of shredded chedda (more is always better), half a pound of bacon, and a sour dough loaf.
    SO all you gotta do is gut the sour dough loaf and break the inside up into bite size pieces same as you would for a Spinach dip.
    I like to chop the bacon up into bits before frying as it cooks quicker and easier and you won’t burn your hands trying to rip up hot bacon. Cut it across in strips and then fry all the little pieces – half a pound or more if you like ;)
    Mix the cream cheese (soften), the sour cream and the shredded cheddar in a bowl, add the chopped green onions and the bacon, mix it all up good and then pour the mixture into the empty sour dough loaf. Bake it on 350 for about 40 minutes and then pull out and dip away with all the insides of the bread bowl and prepare to be impressed!!!
    Hope you really try this one day and that if you do, that you and John LOVE it too.
    I take this to every party I go to and it’s gone in minutes, people crowd around this dip, I am not kidding so I am confident it will be worth your time and your effort (especially since it requires next to NO effort!!

I know you have been touring with John and I am seeing him when he comes to perform in Vancouver so hopefully I will get a chance to say hi to you both in person if you are there and if you guys do that sort of thing after his shows :) Thanks for taking the time to read this too if you ever do and keep being exactly who you are, because you are lovely <3

46. Nona March 2, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

I’ve been reading your blog for few days now from the beginning and this is where I’m at. Anyway, I came to your site from food related stuff – either photos, recipes, or something since food is where I’m at. I did not even know who you or Chris was…..seriously. What struck me though is you may be much younger version of me without the celebrity status. Like you, I am also half (half Japanese and half Caucasian) and have the exact high cheek bones like you. I think I looked very much like you when I was young. Not anymore now since I’m much older.

I love to cook and for me it’s always a way to make others happy. It’s something I do well and what I love. I’ve been married for over quarter century and I can tell you that my husband loves my cooking. When I met him he told me he hated rice, soy sauce, spicy food, and vinegar. I knew I was going to be challenged. Now he loves rice and soy sauce. Spicy food – somewhat. Vinegar, if a little. But, he eats sushi with me every chance he gets and that’s good enough for me.

I know when you are young it’s easy to let other people’s opinions or views of who you are really makes you mad and that’s ok, but don’t take it personally. I could care less anymore what people thinks. I have my happiness and my haven which is my home and comfort.

Keep cooking and enjoying your life Chrissy.