Hommmmme

6 Aug

That’s not nice, iPhone.

After planning what, in my head, was going to be an epic make-fun-of-Jersey-Shore-while-pretending-to-hate-it-and-yet-giving-it-the-ratings-it-thrives-on party, it turned out that we really weren’t in the mood to..well..have a party. Which is great because it seemed like Jersey Shore wasn’t in the mood to put on an entertaining season premiere episode.

BURNNNNN!

Anyhow, one of the loves of my life, Melissa, came over with some insanely delicious gelato from Eataly and a bottle of Skinnygirl margarita, as “ron-ron” juice is just…how do I put this…fucking disgusting. Who knew that blended maraschino cherries, watermelon juice, cranberry juice and whatever trash one can find on the boardwalk of the jersey shore would be so icky? Certainly not I.

I started off the morning marinating bone-in chicken thighs and drums in the chipotle marinade….something I think I will make at every gathering I ever have. It bakes for a little over an hour (at 400F) and needs no babying whatsoever, so you are free to handle whatever else you need to do in the kitchen.

Then, after searching the internet and all my cookbooks for a flavorful and simple pasta salad, I decided to hit up twitter, where I was given the recommendation to make Ina Garten’s Orzo with Roasted Vegetables, which can be found here:

Now, I’ve never ever made anything with Orzo. I don’t know why not, really. It’s just not something I ever think about using. Anyhow, I’ll tell you this: there is about a 20 second time period where your orzo goes from perfectly cooked to slimy and soft. Also, I feel like Ina sabotaged me in a few ways with this recipe. Firstly, don’t peel the eggplant, like the recipe says. Hell, the eggplant isn’t even peeled in the alluring photo on the website. Dammit! You lose that wonderful purple color that would go perfectly in the final product. Also, some people in the comments said to cut back on the oil but I assumed that this was just to cut back on fat, so I just went with the recipe. But with 1/3 of a cup of olive oil (mine were a bit too small, though), your roasted veggies will come out soggy and sloppy. A ton of delicious flavor, but soggy. So yes. Cut back on the oil and definitely make those diced veggies at least an inch/1.25 inch thick so they won’t disappear into your orzo!

I also bought what appears to be a frat house ass paddle from ABC Home not too long ago, so I figured hey, why not put cheese on this fancy new ass paddle?

I bought 6 of those little clay heart dishes at ABC, and I use them for every garnish imaginable. Here, they’re used to hold honey, which I lovvvvve to drizzle over cheese (experiment, I like it over camembert) and stick it to a cracker or slice of french bread. It changes everything and I can’t really do cheese without it now…

And here. The finished dinner: chipotle baked chicken, burrata caprese (burrata cheese, sliced red onion, basil, olive oil and balsamic) and the (sorta overdone) orzo.

Don’t judge me! It was warm, ok?

Really happy with the meal. Everything went together really nicely, plus my friend Melissa has freaking hilarious commentary during Jersey Shore. Pretty much the perfect night.

Aaaah. My favorite part about cooking…

Cleared plates. Hooraaaaaaay!

31 Responses to “Hommmmme”

1. Britt August 6, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

That dinner looks AMAZING!! I may just have to throw my own Jersey Shore party next Thursday and replicate it ALL. PS What brand is your pocket T? I love it!!

• chrissyteigen August 6, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

ALC! Love ALC. It’s out now too…got mine at intermix but just search net-a-porter or shopbop.com :)

2. Audrey August 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

I just started reading a few days ago… and I’m hooked… love your blog! And ummm LOVE YOUR PLATES, where did you get them?? I’ve been looking for plates like that everywhere!!!

• chrissyteigen August 6, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

Plates are from ABC Carpet and Home in NYC. They have an online store but it doesn’t have nearly as much as the actual place. You can literally spend a day there.

• Tyler August 8, 2011 at 3:11 am #

Pssh. ANTHROPOLOGIE GIRL

3. Ingrid Sanchez :) August 7, 2011 at 12:23 am #

Cheese with honey? Never would’ve thought it but sounds delish!! Oh & let me say it is SOO refreshing & inspiring to see a model who really enjoys and savors food.. I’m sure there are more models who share your passion for food but I’ve never really heard of one.. I am bit overweight & was falling deep in bulimia but thnk god I got out of it & ppl like you have helped me create a more healthy relationship with food.. So thanks Chrissy :) you’ve helped me & you don’t even know it.. So see? Fuck the haters;)

4. twheetybird August 7, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Looks like the dinner was delush!

5. Nicola August 7, 2011 at 2:22 am #

Yesss more freaks who love cheese and honey!

Finally doing some catch up reading, as the work computer decided that your blog was too delushious for office use? What the ferrrk? So I wah-wahhed along with your jerks and bacon post. What am I going to do at work now??? (ps I am dating an asian, he has much more money than me, but often get told I am racist for telling people hes more fiscally responsible than me… really guys?I’m a jew?)

Um also my mum loves your blog now, she is more of a sporadic/elderly blogger (yveblogs.wordpress.com) but she is even talking about stealing my vodka to make some marinades.

Happy Monday from Aus? xx

6. Dean August 7, 2011 at 3:12 am #

Also from Australia here, small world. I am having difficulty finding tinned chipotles … any tips for brands to Google?

• Nicola August 7, 2011 at 6:19 am #

Dean, if you’re in Melbourne try Casa Iberica in Fitzroy

7. Shan August 7, 2011 at 8:19 am #

I just learnt something awesome on tv and tried it today: buy Camembert and Brie cheese when it’s close to use by date, because the mould on the rind eats away at the cheese and makes it more tasty and melty and creamy and orgasmic. SO GOOD!!! 7 hours in and no food poisoning. Wooooo.

8. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) August 7, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Chrissy two questions? Do you use skinless chicken as I cannot remember the last time I used the skin and more importantly do you cover while baking. Yum yum!

• chrissyteigen August 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

I love skin but I’m sure it’s fine without it! The bone-in part is the most important :)

And don’t cover the chicken. I use a ceramic casserole dish and even broil it for a couple mins at the end so I get a nice dark brown skin.

• Denise Miller August 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks Chrissy…will send pics via twitter next weekend!

9. Victoria August 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

Hey Chrissy, my dad has the most amazing orzo pasta salad he makes every summer (I’m not exaggerating it’s amazingness, people always ask for the recipe). It has feta cheese, garlic, cilantro among other things. The one you made here looks good but I think you might like my dad’s even better. Can I send you the recipe? And where can I send it? I promise it’s delish (and super easy to make)!

10. Jenny V August 8, 2011 at 1:38 am #

ok i am only 20 and a total cooking rookie………..
    what do you do for your chipolte chicken marinade?? is there like a chipolte sauce or do you make it yourself? orrr….?!!!

11. m dog August 8, 2011 at 9:17 am #

I am obsessed with that Orzo recipe and have been making it forever. Yes, way too much oil but here’s my tip: roast the peppers whole until they’re charred, put them in a bowl and seal it shut. wait about 10 minutes and then peel the skin off and chop them into inch pieces. this way you don’t have little pieces of skin in your salad.

Here’s another Ina recipe that is so easy and everyone always loves it.

12. Alexandra August 8, 2011 at 11:20 am #

so i decided yesterday that i am going to stop buying my food from the prepared section at whole foods. why? because i’m sick of paying $10.99 for a piece of citrus salmon that i can make myself. albeit, it is can be a little frustrating at first going into WF with the daunting task of buying everything that you need in order to make something from scratch, but your blog has inspired me to try. you are funny and the food you have been making looks absolutely delishhhhhh. i cannot wait to try the chipotle marinade and the scallops that you talked about in one of your first blogs. there’s a pretty good chance mine won’t look as pretty but hey, a girl has to start somewhere. keep it up!

13. They call me Nox (@noxamillion) August 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

just LOVE your blog. that cajun spice filet you made? i use that rub on everything now! I have a girls-night-in coming up and will attempt to make your chipotle marinade chicken to bring over :)

14. kristine August 8, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

I want cheese with honey NOW! lol
    LOOOVEE your blog!!
    BTW, cant wait for your thoughts on the pizza!
    Keep it up hun and dont let any haters discourage you.
    xo

15. Sara August 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

Looks wonderful! I’m currently obsessed with Burrata cheese!
    P.S. Saw this blog about yelp reviews! Think you might enjoy http://theblankelite.tumblr.com/

16. Renee Salva August 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

YOUR FOOD LOOKS FABULOUS! I follow you on Twitter. You’re hilarious. I’m from Chicago and I was at the concert on Friday. Incredible! So now per your recommendation I have to go to Alinea. BTW…My pizza is the best in Chicago! Come back and I’ll make it for you. Love your blog AND YOUR DOGS!!

17. nissanese August 8, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

hey Chrissy…

did you model for Target GO International line? One of these models looks like you!

they made you look really plain to be honest.

love your tweets and blog <3

18. Carlos Pineda August 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

First of all, congrats on the blog..its awesome!
    Secondly and more important, do you have a PO Box or something where I could send you the most delicious cans of chipotle here from Mexico?
    Besos

19. Angela August 9, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

I have to share my favorite hors d’oevre recipe of all time for everyone who loves cheese and honey: Place a slice of goat cheese on a cracker; top with thin ribbons of fresh basil; drizzle with honey and pop them in the oven at 350 for about 5 mins (until the cheese has melted slightly). Super easy but oh-so-good!

• chrissyteigen August 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm #

YUM i love simple and tasty that is a must try, thank you!

20. Denise Miller (@IrieDame) August 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

ok…pics on Twitter @iriedame….so do I use Tequila or Vodka….what do you use? I used my silver Patron and it was great!!!!!!!

21. Golf Echo November (@GolfEchoNovembr) August 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

NOM! Empty dishes are a sign that, as my dad always says, your diners “voted with their fork!”

22. SitchM August 23, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

Girls are so funny, “Where did you get your plates.” . I just have to say you are a dream

23. Lilkiwibird01 September 2, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Firstly…LOVING your blogg(and your tweets)! Your refreshing unpretentious way of talking about food/recipes keeps me coming back for more on a weekly basis. I am a chef from New Zealand (now living in the corn fields of Ohio) and LOVE it when I find recipes that I havn’t seen or tried before and I happily find recipes on your blogg like this constantly. I made the Chipotle Chicken Recipe for my family and now that is our favourite marinade to use on everything! Soooo delish. Thank you for sharing your spirit for food and life with us :-)