Sigh.

3 Aug

So I made eggs this morning. But the whole thing was so easy that I’m even hesitant to post details on it. I feel like it would come off as me trying to give you this great new thing and you guys are gonna be like “um that’s stupid easy and not even exciting who does this bitch think she is?”.

Anyone who knows me knows that I enjoy creating negative scenarios in my head for seemingly positive situations.

Anyhoo, I am really big on making sure that people know they can cook. I cringe when I hear someone say “I can’t cook”. Why can’t you? You seriously cannot buy a pre-seasoned filet of catfish at whole foods for 4 dollars and throw it on some foil and bake it and cut some lettuce for a salad? Or you can’t measure ingredients and pour vinegars and sugars into a bowl, throw some meat in and pop it in the fridge where it sits for hours? Yes you can dammit!

I find…I dunno…great respect with people who cook even just a few meals a week. The simplest of meals. I love it when people share photos with me on twitter and I get to see that people are still home in this crazy world and enjoy something so simple. I dunno what it is. I just love it. I guess I have kind of a weird life and it provides comfort and makes me feel normal and stable.

I love the difference in photos between men and women who send me pictures of their creations. Men usually have an enormous slab of meat, on a paper plate, usually, and a hastily chopped potato. Women have plates with more greens than anything, and they’ve gone through the trouble to wipe down any random spots of sauce that doesn’t belong. The differences are cute, and I love it. It’s sexy when a man can cook, for sure. But I really do love the fact that I can cook for my man. It makes me feel good that I can do something for him when he does so much for me, things I could never reciprocate financially. I’m not trying to be all, “get in the kitchen, bitches!”, but I do love some good ol old-fashionedness when it comes to cooking — especially when cooking makes you happy too.

I have no way to transition this to my egg recipe but here!

And oh, on twitter , I did list this as “eggs over easy” but when life gives you broken yolks, make a scramble.

Egg Scramble with Arugula Pesto, Lemon Avocado and Maple Smoked Bacon

Mezzini Arugula Pesto…the key ingredient. I can really see myself using the crap out of this in life. SO much favor. A scoop over some hot, buttery, lemon spaghetti…on a piece of toasted french bread…mmmm….from whole foods. 5 bucks.

First you need that bacon grease. How else would you cook your eggs, silly? Normal oil? NOT WHEN THERE IS SUCH THING AS BACON GREASE!

Nothing in life excites me quite like using a new non-stick pan. Sorry, John.

Drain the bacon, leave a bitttt of bacon grease in the pan…

Scoop in a hearty spoonful of pesto…

On medium/low heat it will bubble and brown quickly so GET THE EGG IN THERE but don’t break it unless you want to be a failure and end up making a scramble like…

….this! just tossed 2 eggs into the pan and scrambled them with the bacon grease and pesto. Only takes a minute! I prefer closer to wet than dry. That’s what she said. Squirt some lemon on a halved avocado with salt and pepper and you have a very fulfilling and flavorful, quick breakfast.

Yes there is only one piece of bacon on my plate at the end. I am a firm believer in making extra bacon to eat while cooking. I can’t just have it staring at me while I’m trying to cook. Get in my mouth!!

And if you are wondering why I use avocado so much, it pretty much only has to do with the fact I cut carbs and, in breakfast, avocado replaces potatoes, hashbrowns, homefries, whatever for me. Something I miss every day. But it really is working, and I’ve grown to love love love avocado. Especially when you (correctly) make eggs over easy and rub the avocado all over the runny yolk oh baby.

Hope you try it! Please cook. It makes me happy when you cook.

34 Responses to “Sigh.”

1. Matt from Belgium August 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

Damn you!

What is it with you and trying to get me to cook?
    FINE….I’m trying it for tomorrow’s breakfast. I’m especially curious for the avocado actually. Also on a low carb diet right now and was looking for something to eat with my eggs.

This better work.

Matt

2. Sarshboogie August 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

So excited! I have been eating avocados for breakfast, with some salt, pepper and hot sauce. I just tried lemon instead and its awesome! I cant believe I never thought of that since I use lemon in my guacamole…but that’s how my brain works I guess. :)

3. Sylvia August 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

Thanks for posting that Chrissy! I really enjoy reading your blog and picking up cooking tips and recipes. I’ve just started a no carb diet and it is making my body feel SO confused, as I normally feed it just cheese, bread or cheesy breads … Totally trying the avocado trick! xx

• chrissyteigen August 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

no carb is HARD! I was so used to going to bed with such a heavy, fully belly from potatoes or pasta. But I must say, waking up and feeling hungry rather than bloated is a really nice feeling.

I never used to make breakfast. I would wait till 2 or 3 to have my meal, then have a heavy dinner at 9.

How wrong I was.

Stick with it! It makes those cheat days so much more wonderful :)

• Melanie August 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

Loving your humor and Realness. Keep up the fantastic post Chrissy and I am proud of you for sticking w/ your adapted low carb lifestyle, for now. Do you think you will go back to your old ways post shoot? Are you eating enough fiber, being that you have gone low carb? Get at me girl, if you have any questions or feedback. PS- did your trainer advise you to replace the carbs with the healthy fats and is he having you measure out portions/ servings or are you on a set meal plan?
        xo Mel B

• djsapiens August 4, 2011 at 12:47 am #

No carbs or no grains? I’m just curious. Vegetables and high-fiber fruits can work well as long as you’re not eating grains, so I’m just looking for clarification about whether you do that or pure Atkins-style.

4. Alexis Torres August 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

What a pretty plate.

5. Rocio August 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

Chrissy Chrissy Chrissy!! Yesterday I made the little egg casserolle you posted on twitter a while back! Instead of lining the bottom of the dish in ham, I did it with turkey bacon, then onions and bell peppers, a little bit of cheese and finally the egg on top. It was delish! :)

6. Alexis Torres August 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Do you like the big green avocados? My fave! They are so buttery in texture and seem to have a higher water content (I am not a scientist so I am just guessing). Us Ricans serve them with every green salad, but I can eat them with just tomato,salt and pepper.

7. EBony August 3, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

Thank God I have a brain and don’t have a need to post up mindless content on the internet. Amen!

• chrissyteigen August 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

….Said the troll.

• catvoncat August 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

…but you just did.

• Becky August 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Hooray!!! It’s wonderful news…. Here ye here ye EBony HAS a brain!!! Let us all rejoice and skip and prance to celebrate that Ebony has a brain! A brain…. But no manners or common sense or an open mind for that matter.

• LadyLady August 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Don’t you have a bridge guarding job to get back to?

8. Amanda August 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

I’m so glad to hear another woman proclaim that that they love cooking for their man. I love to cook, but I especially love the look of satisfaction on my bf’s face after he’s cleaned his plate. I am well educated, independent and my own woman, but I find being barefoot in the kitchen to be a great delight. Thanks for relieving some of my feminine guilt and giving me some ideas and kitchen envy!

9. Tiffany August 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

That looks super yummy. Not sure if an avacado would replace potatoes for me though… I love them too much.

10. Sara August 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Looks awesome! I love simple recipes.

11. MoonieZ August 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

I would gladly have avocado every day if it wasn’t expensive over here.

12. sami August 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

For fucks sake, on Twitter I’m not bothered but some of us ENJOY reading Chrissy’s recipes, you’ve gone out of your way to come on here to post shit? that’s really quite sad…think about it!

Chrissy ignore the negative bastards that post on here, they clearly have nothing better to do. I’m trying your recipes and so far they’re delicious! Keep it up girl!! :-)

Btw, also trying to go carb free for a while, for the first few days do you crave them like mad? I need to know this goes away soon!

13. Shayna August 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand her, or can you not understand the simplest of concepts? Her boyfriend does nice things for her so she wants to do nice things for him. What a fantastic relationship you must have where both people make exactly the same amount of money and no one does anything nice for one another.

14. Josh Gorfain August 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

That looks great. I really need to adjust my diet and exercise regimen. Hopefully when I finally make it up to NYC. New place, new regimen..

15. twheetybird August 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Dammit Chrissy this has got to stop. You are amazing… I could marry you and give you babies. If. I was a man. :-)
    I love food. I love cooking, I find it therepeutic. The only thing is…I can’t eat it all…the time has long since gone that my body was like a sieve when I ate and got people jealous because I just didn’t gain weight… Different story now. It seems that whatever I eat, remains in my waste (hahaha noooo not that waste!) I still try to indulge though. Afterall I only live once :-). Thank you Ms Chrissy ;-)

16. jorn August 3, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

Hello, new breakfast on my to-do list!

Wait… I could totally make this for lunch. Now. Silly me.

17. Linda Gutierrez August 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Chrissy, try your hardest to ignore the haters! (although I often chuckle at your responses). I can find recipes ALL OVER the internet but they don’t have your funny, quirky, interesting little tidbits. Haven’t even tried any of your recipes yet, but love to read your blog. And, yes, one of these days I’ll make you happy by actually cooking :)

18. CourtneeMayumi August 3, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

I made my own version of this this AM. Sundried tomato, minced garlic, butter – egg scramble. With this avocado concoction that my BF made me cause he knows i love the avo. Basically it’s avocado + onions, cilantro, garlic (chopped finely in the food processor) + fresh chopped tomato + lime juice + salt&pepper + cooked quinoa. I’ve been eating it with anything and everything… and by itself! Basically if you hold the quinoa out and have a larger portion of avo and smaller portion of everything else it’s homemade guac – also bomb! It’s great with homemade salsa! I’d post my pic but I realized you can’t on the blog. Sad day.

19. kellymac007 August 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

You missed a good that’s what she said opportunity: “Get in my mouth.” I expect more of you, miss. ;)

20. Deenicole August 3, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

I can do this. And comming from a woman who currently has nothing in her fridge but booze and takeout containers! Ashamed? Yes I am, however inspired. Thx

21. Sashi August 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Hi Chrissy. This recipe looks so delicious and easy to make! I need to buy that pesto ASAP. Thanks for the tip. Since you’ve been eating lots of avocados, you should try my favorite guacamole recipe from this site
    It is amazing and so simple to make. Just 7 ingredients. I think the secret ingredient is the chipotle powder. It gives the guac a spicy smoky flavor and I know you like things spicy! You can get it at whole foods also. I’ve been using the chipotle powder on everything: eggs, marinades, salsa, salad dressing, fish, veggies,,,,, Counting down the hours until breakfast and I may just add some chipotle powder.

22. Mark August 4, 2011 at 3:51 am #

Looks lovely, here in Uk the most diff part is getting an advocado that is ripe any suggestions for spotting the right one??

23. Amy (Minimally Invasive) August 4, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

Hey, this is great — never underestimate the kitchen-ny stupidity of your audience! My husband had to look up a recipe for scrambled eggs a few years ago, but now it’s the best thing he makes. OK, the only other thing he makes is boxed mac & cheese, but it makes him that much more appreciative of my cooking.

And I’m so sad that you have to live in a world without fries, even temporarily.

24. Jenny @ Musings and Morsels August 5, 2011 at 7:29 am #

Oh Chrissy, you’re a genius. This may be simple but it never really occurred to me. I really want to incorporate avocados in my diet since they’re so healthy but, unfortunately, DESPISE them unless they’re in the form of a milkshake (the Asian variety), guacamole or something heavily seasoned. Definitely going to give your version a roll. Thanks xx

25. Denise Miller August 5, 2011 at 11:47 am #

well I made my version of this without the pesto as my Whole Foods in Atlanta does not carry it….how dare they? As a Jamaican, we love avocado so that worked well for me…sent you a pic on Twitter…so see, never think anything cannot be shared for its simplicity, for foodies like me, we love to see it all!

26. Nona March 2, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

Next time make your own arugula pesto and freeze it. I use Saveur.com one.