BLUE RIBBON MAKES ME SO HAPPY

24 Jul

Seriously. If you go to NYC and go to one of those giant, “hip” sushi places, you make me sad. Not mad. Just sad.

I’ve been known to want to go to those big places from time to time….mainly Matsuri, but seriously…there is nothing. like. Blue Ribbon on Sullivan between Prince and Spring.

When I am doing my diet bullshit (and oh, how it is bullshit) sushi is the ONLY thing I find that will satisfy me. Canned tuna with avocado? Fuck off. Hardboiled egg with salt and pepper? Go to hell. A beautiful slice of tuna sashimi with wasabi and ginger? Kiss me.

Here are my 2 personal recommendations, if you ever make it out to Blue Ribbon. These 2 little starters will fill you right up and satisfy you in every way. Except sexually. You might need a partner for that one:

“Kanpachi Usuzukuri” (Thinly sliced amberjack with yuzu pepper)

SO fresh and light and salty and wonderful. Take a bit of the yuzu pepper puree (in the cucumber) onto your chopsticks and grab the amberjack sashimi. This is heaven. Spicy and salty.

_______________________

“Maguro Salad” (Seared tuna with sesame dressing)

I really live for this, to the point where I can actually taste it just by thinking of it. Is that gross? It is, isn’t it? Really light and delicious and FILLING, which is really important to me. You get every flavor you crave (for me, it’s salty and sweet mixed together) and yet you don’t leave the restaurant mad at yourself. Love.

Blue Ribbon Sushi

119 Sullivan Street

New York, New York

9 Responses to “BLUE RIBBON MAKES ME SO HAPPY”

1. Nataliya July 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

This. Place. Owns. My. Heart. I also had bone marrow here, in a drunken stupor. Husband claims I thought it was delicious. I’m sure it was.

2. Kristyn Thiel July 24, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

OMG love this place!!! and sushi always me so happy/sexually that is…haha i want some now looking at these photos!!!

3. Erin July 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

I work in the SoHo area and I’m always desperate to get out and try new places for lunch. Since you obviously know your way around the area could you give me a list of places you love?
    I know you don’t like rules but think of it as a dare to beat these restrictions:
    need to get in an out under an hour,
    aside from special occasions I’d need to be fed for roughly $10,
    and I need to go back to work so nothing too outrageous that could send me running for the bathroom instead of my desk.
    Ready, Set, Go!

4. DTfromKC July 25, 2011 at 2:02 am #

I, too, am a self-proclaimed sushi whore. Those plates look amazing! Thanks for sharing. Sushi is the one type of food I eat that literally makes me feel happier after eating, like they sprinkle it with ground Zoloft or something. Being literally as far from an ocean as you can possibly get here in Kansas City, we obviously don’t have nearly the exquisite sushi options as you do on the coast, but we have a few decent places. Everyone gasps at the idea of eating sushi in the Midwest, but I figure if the chefs are Asian, then they probably know what they’re doing. Ha. Gotta love stereotypes. I’ve read that as long as the fish is kept frozen below a certain temp. from the time it’s packed and shipped, it’s totally fine. I’ve yet to ever get food poisoning from anywhere here, so don’t be scurred, people. Just don’t eat sushi at Chinese buffets. Very disappointing and really makes no sense in the first place.

5. Emily July 25, 2011 at 9:34 am #

I’ve been to Blue Ribbon and had a good experience! Loved the atmosphere and the sushi (from what I remember) was great..very fresh! Also beware-there is a Blue Ribbon Brasserie on the same block..my friends and I made the mistake of walking in and sitting down at that Blue Ribbon until realizing we were in the wrong restaurant..whoops!

6. Niki July 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Blue Ribbon kicks ass! I was born and (partially) raised in Tokyo, so its got my seal of approval! It sucks that most sushi restaurants in NYC are so damn fancy when LA has plenty of low-key and cheap choices. Thank God for Blue Ribbon!

7. James Dean July 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

That seared tuna looks absolutely tunariffic! So difficult to find good sushi here in the UK. I was in Asia for a while, and got really into it. Often get cravings for it, and nowhere here can satisfy my yumma yumma yumma sushi needs!

8. Daniela July 29, 2011 at 12:08 am #

OMG, my favorite restaurant ever, ever, EVER! I’m so glad you posted about them. Even through years of all these newer kids on the block cropping up, this has remained my go-to place. Was just there last week and had the Blue Ribbon roll—AY-MAY-ZING. But never thought to have the maguro appetizer and fear I will be up dreaming about it until I do…what a pic! And strangely enough, this is one place where the steamed vegetable dish (I think it’s under the steamed dishes section of the menu) is actually NOT punishing—kinda heavenly for some reason, especially when it’s freezing out. It comes with this great side sauce. Just a tip for those sucky times when you are needing to hold off on the carbs!

9. Google sucks March 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Many thanks for scripting this fabulous submit..Liked your article content. Make sure you do preserve writing