Last Night…

27 Jun

I have a new favorite Thai place near my house … thank God! My old favorite, “Montien”, on 3rd Ave, closed down randomly for “construction”, never to wake up and serve me ever again. I still dunno what happened but I am quite saddened by it. Thai food delivers amazingly well in general, but this place had it down to a science. Still-crispy duck egg rolls and piping hot chicken Pad-See-Ew (broad noodles with a sweet gravy and chinese broccoli)….my favorite.

But that evil bitch has left me high and dry, searching for a new favorite. And I’ve found it, thanks to my friend Darcie who took me here last week:

Loved it so much I ordered it the next day, then took John last night. Tai Thai is a bit of a hole-in-the-wall type place, but they do have cheap wine (bring your own unless you like sour), old Thai movie posters hanging up, and the usage of very pizza hut-esque cups.

I don’t know who Tai is, or is this is just their idea of a cute name, but jesus I’m going to pretend Tai is the one that made everything taste just like mom makes…that’s assuming your mom is Thai and from the village like my mom.

Ordered a few of my standard favorites, the dishes I use to test out a new Thai place. Papaya salad (if they fuck Papaya Salad up there is usually no hope for the rest), a garlic steamed fish with veggies, “Eggplant Supreme” (what is this, taco bell? Thai names please), and chicken green curry.

The papaya salad, ordered “thai spicy” which is very different from YOU-PEOPLE spicy. Jk. I don’t even know what that means but I’m assuming when one asks for Thai Spicy, it’s hotter than regular ol’ American spicy. Anyhow yum:

It was perfect. Better than perfect. Made me forget all about Montien and how they so coldly deserted my family and I.

Fish (Pla Kratium) — whole fish with crispy garlic and garlic sauce with steamed veggies. AMAZING…..

Ahhh I can still taste the garlic. No really. I can seriously still taste the garlic. I should brush my teeth someday.

Would share more photos but I kinda suck at taking photos. I love when models turn into photographers and they say shit like, “Ohhhh you know, I’ve just been in front of the camera so long that I have an eye for this stuff…”. Really? Because I have too, and I suck.

Also, our bill, with wine and 4 dishes was around 40 bucks. This is your chance to be like me, ladies, and say “oh no baby, I got this one”. Just don’t let them see the bill.

Anyhoo….try “Tai Thai” — 78 E 1st. Street. 1st Ave/1st Street.

*note: Lotus of Siam is still the best in the city, a bit nicer, but they don’t deliver. Great for group dinners and I recommend the stuffed chicken wings, the pad-see-ew, and tuna appetizer, but EVERYTHING is great, really, especially nice if you have vegetarian friends. And get the drink with the word “bee” in it. I forget the full name but just go with it…

Enjoy!

27 Responses to “Last Night…”

1. S.C. June 27, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Looks like a great place. Do you guys ever venture out into the other boroughs? Brooklyn’s got some great places as well.

• chrissyteigen June 27, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I would love to but this all revolves around the fact I am supremely lazy.

2. brezinst June 27, 2011 at 10:38 am #

live around the corner from here, love it

3. Tuesdai June 27, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Tai, Tai, Tai…never heard of her but judging by the pictures I can tell she’s a “spicier chick” than I’d like to fool with. But this is when you tell me, “Tuesdaiiiiii, don’t be so close-minded, try something new…you’ll love it……trrrraaaayyyy it.” And then I pick my fork and make that “imma act like it’s nasty even if it isn’t” face like I’m going to hate it and say, “…..(to be continued)” Oops, I don’t have a fork and plate… thanks for sharing. I’ll a “veggie fan” sooo maybe I’ll try it…

• DetroitDrewDC June 27, 2011 at 10:50 am #

I believe you not only “veggie fan”, but Asian (read:oriental) speaking. You engrish is no vah-we goood. Not that I am here to poke fun. I secretly just hope Chrissy reads this, finds it mildly funny, takes offense to my Asian humor, and replies. Snoogins!

• chrissyteigen June 27, 2011 at 10:54 am #

ohhhh herro prease herro !

4. DetroitDrewDC June 27, 2011 at 10:58 am #

I rest my case. By the way, you can easily get Puddy in the tutu when John is not around. Will it upset him when you tweet the picture? Sure, but it’ll be so worth it!
    Hands down, the 2nd cutest dog on the planet. I have a dog, so you know who #1 is.

• DetroitDrewDC June 27, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Awesome blog by the way. You are a great writer on this as well as in 140 characters. Keep up the good work. I’ll keep reading.

• Tuesdai June 27, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Is that right, pumpkin? Too bad you’re not comical in the good sense…well maybe you are “comcial.” You just clarify this saying, “Yes, fools are always up bright and early before 12pm seeking attention by any means necessary,” for me on this morning. Good job princess :) I hope Chrissy not only reads your cute message but also cut & pastes you somes gold stickers w/some cheese fishy crackers from Bing. #”ass”youwere

• DetroitDrewDC June 27, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Up bright and early before 12pm? Yes, it’s called having a job. Most require us to be at work before 12pm. And, when you are at a job, you have fun and check out blogs and twitter. And sometimes, when you are up for it, you have some fun with other people posting on blogs. Sorry to hurt your feelings. Thought you could take the ribbing. My apologies. I know the owner of this blog doesn’t like the back and forth banter, so I will leave you with nothing more. cheers!

5. Tuesdai June 27, 2011 at 11:42 am #

@DetroitDrewDC
    All I caught from THAT was a bunch of static. But um? yeah *thumbs up*. Good day :)

6. Ranu June 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

YUM! I need to try Tai Thai now, that Papaya salad looks so delicious. And also, you crack me up Chrissy! :)

7. Denise June 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

Although I’ve only had Thai food twice, I really like it! I’m not in NYC so Chrissy what are your suggestions for the next time I go to any Thai restaurant anywhere? I don’t really know how a papaya salad tastes so I can’t go by your standards. So think about it like this, if a Mexican was trying Thai food for the third time what should she HAVE to order? AND what other Thai alcoholic beverages do you like?

8. Kelly June 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

I love good Thai food, but living down here in Virginia, it’s hard to find a good place. Know of any in the DC area?!

• DetroitDrew June 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

Actually, there is a place in Arlington called Bangkok 54 that always wins awards as a Washingtonian Magazine Cheap Eats. It’s on Columbia Pike next to the Drafthouse.

9. Dean June 27, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

So true that the quality of a Som Tam dictates the quality of everything else on the menu. Another good barometer is whether their “gai ga pow” (chicken and basil) uses Thai Holy basil or Italian basil. If they use Italian basil, they probably have too many white customers and not enough Thai ones to keep the food traditional.

• chrissyteigen June 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

agreed!! one of my favorite Thai dishes is pork or chicken gra pow. super spicy deliciousness with copious amounts of thai basil…

10. Miss_Classy June 27, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Ooh I love thai food but always seem to get the same dishes. There has to be good dishes besides Pad Thai right? Any suggestions? (suggestions from other readers are encouraged as well lol) (:

p.s. LOVE the blog Miss Teigen! Your as hilarious and as witty as ever! ;) Thank you!!!!

• Linda June 27, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

One of my personal favorite is Pad Kee Mow aka Drunken Noodles, it’s spicy though.

11. jasalexia June 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

What, When did Montien close?! I lived across from their my Freshman year and probably ordered take out no less than 3x’s a week. I’m excited to try Tai Thai, though! No idea how it slipped through my Thai radar.

12. manie June 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

Try Rohm Thai – 20th between fifth and b’way I think. SO GOOD

13. Noonoo June 27, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

Did you ever receive the Miracle Noodles? If so, are they any good? On low carb and thought about ordering.

14. A.C. June 28, 2011 at 2:32 am #

I, too, find papaya salad to be an accurate measurement of a Thai restaurant’s worth!

15. starkhati June 28, 2011 at 4:31 am #

This sounds AMAZING and Thai is my absolute fav cuisine. If only I still lived in the city…..sign….anyways, enjoy and continue blogging so I can live vicariously though you and your garlic breath :)

16. en543pm June 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

Ok, so “Tai Tai” is the more modern way of saying “wife” in Chinese. So this is just a pun. But a cute one nonetheless.

17. kalkutta July 1, 2011 at 1:45 am #

i live right on top of this place! i go here like every other day for lunch- their tai ice tea is the perfect consistency too (you know how some places make it too watery?)- so try that as well next time! i actually found your blog haphazardly while procrastinating on the internet, but i met you (kind of in passing) this winter when i spun a guest set at john’s bday party at rdv… anyway, small world! glad to find another fan of this hidden gem of a restaurant! :)

18. Christopher Dong July 8, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

That’s my favorite local place as well. To get another great taste of Thailand, have you tried Zabb Elee on 2nd Ave. bet 4th and 5th? They do Northern Thai food (no usual Pad Thai or curries) and they do true Thai spicy.